How composite particles have definite spin?

In summary: So it has a definite spin of 0. In summary, the conversation discusses the spin of composite particles, which is determined by the spins of its constituent particles. However, due to the superposition of different spin states of the constituent particles, it may not be possible to attribute a definite spin to the composite particle. A simple example is provided with the spin states of the hydrogen atom. The conversation also mentions that a compound particle may have several spin eigenvalues or be in a superposition of them. The example of an alpha particle is given, where its spin is measured to be 0 due to its state of definite binding energy and total spin. This highlights the importance of the total Hamiltonian in determining the spin of a composite particle.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Consider a composite particle. Its spin is determined by the spins of its constituent particles. But the constituent particles are in a superposition of different spin states and so don't have a definite spin. So it seems it shouldn't be possible to ascribe a definite spin to the composite particle. I know, one particular state may be the stable state but that only means this state is the most probable one and the composite particle is only mostly in that state, not always!

Physics news on Phys.org
A composite particle may or may not be in an eigenstate of spin. If the total spin commutes with the Hamiltonian, a particle in an eigenstate of energy will also be in an eigenstate of spin.

But what is that which is considered to be the partcile's spin?
I mean...there is only one spin eigenstate?
Or you're talking about the state with the least energy?

I don't understand anything you wrote.

Ok, Thanks to atyy, I can ask my question more clearly. In the first of atyy's files, the spin states of the hydrogen atom are mentioned. There are three states of spin 1 and one state of spin 0. So Hydrogen should have spins 0 and 1. You can't say its spin is 1 or 0. Its spin is both.

Shyan said:
Consider a composite particle. Its spin is determined by the spins of its constituent particles.
That's not true. The spin is the angular momentum in the rest frame of the center of mass (or energy in relativistic mechanics) of the particle. Therefore, also the orbital angular momentum of the particles contributes to it's spin. In contrast to an elementary particle, a compound particle may have several spin eigenvalues or be in a superposition of them. E.g. for an hydrogen atom (neglecting nuclear spin), the total spin J is the sum of the orbital momentum L and the spin of the electron S.

a compound particle may have several spin eigenvalues or be in a superposition of them.
That's exactly my point. My quesion is, while that is known, how is that e.g. spin of the [itex] \alpha [/itex] particle is considered to be 0? Why people ascribe a definite spin to it?

I suppose there are no, even metastable, excited states of the He nucleus with higher spin.

It's not "considered to be 0". It's measured to be 0.

In any event, an alpha particle is a state of definite binding energy, and since total spin commutes with the total Hamiltonian, it's also in a state of definite total spin.

1. What is a composite particle?

A composite particle is a type of subatomic particle that is made up of smaller particles, such as quarks and gluons. Other examples of composite particles include protons and neutrons, which are made up of three quarks each.

2. How do composite particles have definite spin?

The spin of a composite particle is determined by the spins of its constituent particles. For example, a proton has a spin of 1/2 because it is made up of three quarks, each with a spin of 1/2. Similarly, a neutron has a spin of 1/2 because it is also made up of three quarks.

3. Why is spin an important property of composite particles?

Spin is an important property of composite particles because it affects their interactions with other particles and their behavior in fields, such as magnetic fields. It also helps to classify and identify different types of particles.

4. Can the spin of a composite particle change?

Yes, the spin of a composite particle can change if the spins of its constituent particles change. For example, in certain high-energy collisions, the quarks inside a proton or neutron can exchange spins, resulting in a change in the overall spin of the composite particle.

5. How is spin measured in composite particles?

Spin in composite particles is measured using experiments and calculations based on quantum mechanics. The spin of a particle can be determined by observing its interactions with other particles or by analyzing its decay products. Measurements of spin can also provide valuable information about the internal structure of composite particles.