Study aerospace technology in univ (civil engineering)

In summary, the conversation is about the chances of working with companies such as NASA and SpaceX in the field of aerospace technology civil engineering. The person is concerned about the limited opportunities in this field and what they would do if they are unable to work with space-related devices. They are also unsure about the specific focus of their degree and why they are limiting themselves to space instead of general aerospace. The expert suggests that there are many companies that work on both space and aircraft equipment and it may be easier to get a job in general aerospace. They also encourage the person to pursue their passion for working with space technology and inquire about their specific interests in designing different aspects of spacecraft.
Phycisists
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding aerospace technology civil engineering.

What are the chances that you get to work with companies such as NASA and SpaceX? In case it is low, what do you do otherwise with the degree you have been working on?

I might want to pursue a degree in this particular field but I am worried about the odds of working with air planes, helicopters and basically everything not being associated with space exploration itself (constructing/designing space capsules for example).

If I don't get a job at NASA or any company like that, and I work in a university instead, what exactly am I going to work with? I don't like educating people so that is not an option for me.

TL:DR:

What are the odds of working with devices associated with space exploration (NOT airplanes and helicopters)? And what do you do if you're working in a university (research, educate?)? Should I pursue this career if I really want to work with space technology, or is the chances of me doing it simply too low?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does your degree work with. I am assuming structural engineering with a concentration on aerospace.

You should be aware that many companies do space work other than just JPL and SpaceX.

Also why are you limiting yourself to only space and not general aerospace?

donpacino said:
What exactly does your degree work with. I am assuming structural engineering with a concentration on aerospace.

You should be aware that many companies do space work other than just JPL and SpaceX.

Also why are you limiting yourself to only space and not general aerospace?

Sorry, I am quite misinformed about this specific degree, aerospace is what I meant to say. It's about technical physics involving electro technics and the degree is more inclined towards the space itself, not sure how, they did not describe is absolute definition of it but I think that it is because of their coorporations with many space agencies.

Also I am talking about the start of the university, this is not a master program or anything like that, it's on a basic level. The reason why I am limiting myself to space is because I do not like working with vehicles suitable for this planet only, feels a bit too narrow. I prefer space itself.

sorry for the late response.
I work in the aerospace industry. While there are engineering locations that work primarily on space equipment, there are many more that work on equipment for both planes/helicopters and spacecraft . While it is possible to get a job working only on spacecraft , it may be slightly more difficult than getting a job in aerospace in general.

If you are passionate about working only on spacecraft I say you go for it.

What part of the spacecraft are you interested in designing, or are you not sure. Electronics, systems, structures, controls, communications, etc...

Likes 1 person

As a scientist in the field of aerospace technology, I can say that the chances of working with companies like NASA and SpaceX are not guaranteed, but they are certainly not low. These companies are constantly looking for skilled engineers and scientists to work on their projects, and a degree in aerospace technology can certainly open doors for you in these fields. However, it is important to note that these companies are highly competitive and require a lot of hard work and dedication to be a part of their teams.

If you do not end up working with these companies, there are still many other opportunities available in the aerospace industry. You could work with other aircraft manufacturers, defense contractors, or even start your own company. The skills and knowledge gained from studying aerospace technology are highly valuable and can be applied to various fields within the industry.

Working in a university as a researcher or educator is also a viable option for those with a degree in aerospace technology. Research in this field is crucial for the advancement of technology and can lead to breakthroughs in space exploration. Educating the next generation of engineers and scientists is also a fulfilling and important role in shaping the future of aerospace technology.

Ultimately, pursuing a career in aerospace technology is a personal decision and should be based on your interests and passions. If you have a strong desire to work with space technology, then I encourage you to pursue this career path. While the chances of working with NASA or SpaceX may not be guaranteed, there are still many opportunities available in the aerospace industry that can lead to a fulfilling and exciting career.

1. What is aerospace technology?

Aerospace technology is the branch of engineering that deals with the development and design of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the study of various disciplines such as aerodynamics, propulsion systems, materials science, and flight mechanics.

2. What do I need to study aerospace technology in university?

To study aerospace technology in university, you typically need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Most universities also require students to have studied subjects such as chemistry, computer science, and engineering in high school. It is also beneficial to have a passion for aviation and space exploration.

3. What are the career opportunities for aerospace technology graduates?

Aerospace technology graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, and aviation. They can work as engineers, researchers, project managers, or consultants in companies that design and manufacture aircraft and spacecraft. They can also pursue careers in government agencies, space agencies, and research institutions.

4. Is civil engineering a good major for studying aerospace technology?

Civil engineering is a good major for studying aerospace technology because it provides a strong foundation in structural design and mechanics, which are important aspects of aerospace engineering. Civil engineering also involves the study of materials and construction techniques, which are essential in the design and construction of aircraft and spacecraft.

5. What are some famous universities for studying aerospace technology?

Some famous universities for studying aerospace technology include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Georgia Institute of Technology, and University of Michigan. These universities have top-ranked aerospace engineering programs and are known for producing successful aerospace engineers and researchers.