Any Benefit on waiting to take physics for math?

• Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, if you are a math major and are interested in physics, there is no harm in waiting to take physics 1 until after calculus 2. However, there may be some benefit in having more mathematical intuition so you can better understand mechanics and electrical engineering. The best course to take after calculus 2 is either Vector Calculus or Linear Analysis, depending on your previous math classes.
TheKracken
Alright, so I am a math major at a community college and I am very interested in mathematical Physics. I am curious if there would be any benefit in waiting to take physics longer? I am currently finishing up on my Calculus 1 course over the summer and will be taking calculus 2 this next fall along with the rest of my general ed ( English :( and German! :D ) and it would be nice to put off physics 1 until this next spring where I will take either vector calc or Linear analysis ( LA and DQ together.

So 3 questions;

1. Will it be detrimental in any way waiting to take the physics till after calculus 2?

2. Will there be any benefit in waiting so I have more mathematical intuition?

3. Which would be best to take after calculus 2, vector calc or( DQ and LA.) In terms of making understanding mechanics and then EM better.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheKracken said:
Alright, so I am a math major at a community college and I am very interested in mathematical Physics. I am curious if there would be any benefit in waiting to take physics longer? I am currently finishing up on my Calculus 1 course over the summer and will be taking calculus 2 this next fall along with the rest of my general ed ( English :( and German! :D ) and it would be nice to put off physics 1 until this next spring where I will take either vector calc or Linear analysis ( LA and DQ together.

So 3 questions;

1. Will it be detrimental in any way waiting to take the physics till after calculus 2?

2. Will there be any benefit in waiting so I have more mathematical intuition?

3. Which would be best to take after calculus 2, vector calc or( DQ and LA.) In terms of making understanding mechanics and then EM better.

1. Nope Kracken. (Unless it delays your transfering to Uni.)

2. Nope Kracken.

3. LA (You'll need to Calc 3 (Multiv) before doing Vector Calc, unless it's all combined (rare))

You should be able to take Mechanics concurrently with Calculus 2 Kracken. The only part of Calc 2 you'll really use is Taylor series (maybe finding moments and what not if you haven't covered it already in calc 1)

Ok, I just figured knowing more math would benefit me in the rest of the physics courses. I appreciate it!

1. What is the relationship between physics and math?

The fields of physics and math are closely intertwined. Physics uses mathematical concepts and principles to explain and predict natural phenomena, while math provides the tools and techniques for analyzing and solving physical problems.

2. Can I take math before physics?

Yes, it is possible to take math before physics. However, having a strong foundation in math can greatly benefit your understanding and application of physics concepts. It is recommended to take both subjects simultaneously or to have a solid understanding of math before taking physics.

3. Will taking physics after math be more difficult?

It depends on the individual and their learning style. Some students may find it easier to understand physics after studying math, as they have already developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Others may struggle with the transition from abstract math concepts to concrete physics applications.

4. Are there any benefits to waiting to take physics for math?

There are potential benefits to waiting to take physics for math, such as having a stronger math foundation that can make understanding physics concepts easier. Additionally, waiting to take physics can allow for more time to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in both subjects.

5. Can I skip math prerequisites for physics?

It is not recommended to skip math prerequisites for physics. These prerequisites are in place to ensure that students have the necessary mathematical knowledge and skills to understand and apply physics concepts. Skipping these prerequisites can lead to difficulty in understanding and keeping up with the material in physics.