Medical Radition Science, Radition Therapy Degree

In summary, Leigh is a 28-year-old mature student who scored 92.5 on her ATAR in chemistry, life sciences, and English. She is considering pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Medical Radiation, but is concerned about the limited career prospects in the nuclear medicine branch. She is also considering studying podiatry due to better job opportunities. She is willing to move to rural areas for work and is determined to excel in any degree she chooses. She is not well-versed in physics and math, but has strong skills in chemistry and biology. The job market for radiation therapists in Australia is competitive, and the level of physics and math required in an RT degree depends on the specific program.
leigh87
Hi,

I am Leigh, a 28 year old mature aged, soon to be student. I got 92.5 on my ATAR in chemistry/life sciences/ English.

I am seriously considering a Bachelors in Medical Radiation (therapy) degree, because the nuclear medicine branch of the degree on offer sounds like career prospects are too limited and there seems to be less employment opportunities.

However, Medical Radiation science, Radiation Therapy - this degree sounds to be oversaturated.

I am thinking of just doing podiatry since it is also an area of interest and the job prospects sound better.

Are there any hopes for a radiation therapist of getting work in Australia? I am willing to move rural in order to get work.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

and I am have not really studied physics or maths, but my strong points are chemistry and biology/anatomy physiology.

I am mature aged and therefore I know what I want and am 100% dedicated to getting the math and physics tutoring I need to excel in any prospective degree. Mature aged = willing to do what it takes to pass the degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I don't know what the market is currently like in Australia, but I know that the RTs are generally finding that positions are fairly competative right now. Recent graduates in Canada generally find work on a casual basis until something full time comes up, or they move to the smaller cities to begin their careers.

The degree of physics and mathematics in an RT degree really depends on the program. Day-to-day, the mathematical skills involved in the job are fairly straight forward - calculating patient shifts or plugging numbers into a formlua to verify the number of monitor units you plan to deliver to a patient. From an educational standpoint thought you'll be expected to have a reasonably grasp of the physics behind radiation therapy, so at minimum you'll need a conceptual understanding of how ionizing radiation interacts with matter and how medical images are generated. On the higher end of the spectrum you could end up in a program that's just a little shy of a physics undergraduate degree.

What is Medical Radiation Science?

Medical Radiation Science is a field of study that focuses on the use of radiation in medical diagnosis and treatment. It involves the use of various imaging techniques such as X-ray, MRI, and CT scans, as well as radiation therapy for cancer treatment.

What is a Radiation Therapy Degree?

A Radiation Therapy Degree is an undergraduate or graduate degree that prepares students to become radiation therapists. This degree program covers topics such as radiation physics, biology, and oncology, as well as clinical training in administering radiation therapy to patients.

What are the career opportunities for someone with a Radiation Therapy Degree?

Graduates with a Radiation Therapy Degree can work as radiation therapists in hospitals, cancer treatment centers, and imaging clinics. They can also pursue careers in research, education, or medical sales related to radiation therapy.

What skills are needed to be successful in the field of Medical Radiation Science?

Some essential skills for success in Medical Radiation Science include strong technical and scientific knowledge, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. It is also important to have empathy and compassion for patients undergoing radiation treatment.

What are the risks associated with working in the field of Medical Radiation Science?

As with any profession involving exposure to radiation, there are potential risks associated with working in Medical Radiation Science. These risks can include radiation exposure, musculoskeletal injuries from working with heavy equipment, and emotional burnout from working with patients undergoing cancer treatment. However, proper safety measures and protocols are in place to minimize these risks for both patients and healthcare professionals.