Graduate work in Particle Theory and Biophysics ? Possible ?

In summary, a graduate student interested in both biophysics and particle theory is wondering if it is possible to work on two research projects at once.
goblu91
Hi,

I am starting graduate work next fall in biophysics, mostly simulations. It's not that biophysics doesn't appeal to me, but my primary interests are in particle theory. Eventually, I would want to learn qft, gr, geometry and topology, the essentials for understanding superstring theory. Only thing that is stopping me from wholeheartedly following particle theory is the dearth of postdoc positions in the field, and I have some student loans to pay off after graduate school.
I was wondering if I can work on both fields in tandem and still make meaningful contributions in either of the fields.
I know my plans sound a little too grandiose, but I would like to know if anyone has ever done anything like that, and if such a thing is feasible.

Any input will be highly appreciated !P.S. : I don't mind having no life.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you going to grad school at? I am sure it highly depends if there is someone there that works on that sort of research. I do know one professor at UCSC who works on the intersections of Quantum Field Theory and BioPhysics.
Here is a link to his page.
http://www.kitp.ucsb.edu/zee

Likes curious_mind
I am going to grad school at ASU. It's definitely not one of the top schools, but that's because I have ties in AZ that I can't leave behind.
Thanks for sharing ! I did come across Zee before in context of his text on QFT. But it's hard for me to see an intersection between biophysics and QFT, since the latter has to do with relativistic phenomena that I can't expect in biological scales. But he DID use mathematical methods used in QFT to solve certain problems in biophy, and that sort of work does appeal to me.
I was wondering more about working in parallel on say two research projects at a time, one in biophy and one in particle theory. Is such a thing possible ? Has anyone ever done that ?

1. What is particle theory and biophysics?

Particle theory and biophysics is a field that combines aspects of particle physics and biophysics. It involves studying the behavior and interactions of particles at the smallest level, as well as how these particles contribute to biological processes and systems.

2. What types of research are commonly conducted in graduate studies for particle theory and biophysics?

Graduate work in particle theory and biophysics can involve a range of research topics, such as studying the properties and behavior of subatomic particles, investigating the role of quantum mechanics in biological systems, and exploring the interface between physics and biology.

3. What skills are necessary for success in graduate studies for particle theory and biophysics?

Some important skills for success in this field include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and strong communication skills. Additionally, experience with computer programming and data analysis can be beneficial.

4. What types of career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in particle theory and biophysics?

Graduates with a degree in particle theory and biophysics can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, pharmaceutical companies, and government agencies. They may work as physicists, biophysicists, or in interdisciplinary roles that bridge the gap between physics and biology.

5. How can I prepare for graduate work in particle theory and biophysics?

A strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and biology is essential for success in this field. It is also helpful to gain research experience through internships or undergraduate research projects. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and exploring different research areas can help prepare for graduate studies in particle theory and biophysics.