Calculating Deuterium Atoms in 4 kg Ocean Water and Energy Needs of US

In summary: Likewise, a mole of water is 18 grams. In summary, to convert atoms into kilograms, one must use the molecular weight of water (18 g/mol) to find the number of hydrogen atoms in one kilogram of water. This number can then be multiplied by 4 to find the number of hydrogen atoms in 4 kilograms of water. Multiplying this by 0.015% gives the number of deuterium atoms in 4 kilograms of water. For the second part of the problem, the number of deuterium atoms in one kilogram of water must be divided by 4 and multiplied by 7.4 MeV to find the energy in MeV in one kilogram of water. This value can then be
mayo2kett
this is homework problem I'm having some trouble with... i haven't had chemistry yet so I'm not sure how i could convert atoms into kg, and the textbook i have doesn't do any examples of problems like this one... i don't even know where to begin.

Deuterium (A=2, Z=1) is an attractive fuel for fusion reactions because it is abundant in the waters of the oceans. In the oceans, about 0.015% of the hydrogen atoms in the water (H2O) are deuterium atoms.

(a) How many deuterium atoms are there in 4 kilogram of water?

(b) If each deuterium nucleus produces about 7.4 MeV in a fusion reaction, how many kilograms of ocean water would be needed to supply the energy needs of the United States for one year, estimated to be 9.3 1019 J? (answer should be in kg)

Physics news on Phys.org
mayo2kett said:
this is homework problem I'm having some trouble with... i haven't had chemistry yet so I'm not sure how i could convert atoms into kg, and the textbook i have doesn't do any examples of problems like this one... i don't even know where to begin.

Deuterium (A=2, Z=1) is an attractive fuel for fusion reactions because it is abundant in the waters of the oceans. In the oceans, about 0.015% of the hydrogen atoms in the water (H2O) are deuterium atoms.

(a) How many deuterium atoms are there in 4 kilogram of water?
How many hydrogen atoms are there in a kilogram of water? You should be able to get that by using the molecular weight (in kg/molecule) of water: the atomic weight of oxygen plus two times the atomic weight of hydrogen. Be sure to use kg/molecule! Multiply by 2 to get the number of hydrogen atoms in one kg of water (there are 2 hydogen atoms per water molecule of course). Multiply by 4 to get the number of hydrogen atoms in 4 kg of water. Finally, multiply by 0.015%= 0.00015 to get the number of deuterium atoms in 4 kg of water.,

(b) If each deuterium nucleus produces about 7.4 MeV in a fusion reaction, how many kilograms of ocean water would be needed to supply the energy needs of the United States for one year, estimated to be 9.3 1019 J? (answer should be in kg)
Divide your previous answer by 4 to get the number of deuterium atoms in one kg of water and multiply by 7.4 MeV to get the energy, in MeV, in one kg of water. Now you will have to convert 9.2x1019 J to MeV to get the energy required in MeV. Finally, of course, divide the energy in MeV by the energy per kg of water to get your answer.

a little confused

i tried the first part but I'm not sure if this is what you meant...

molecular weight of water = 18 g/mol = .018 kg/mol

then:
2(.018kg/mol) = .036 hydrogen atoms in 1 kg of water

4kg(.036) = .144 hydrogen atoms in 4 kg of water

.00015(.144) = 2.16e-15 number of deutrerium atoms in 4kg of water

don't i need to use the avagadros number someplace?

Yes, one needs to use Avogadro's number.

1 gram-mole = 6.022E23 atoms or molecules.

1 kg-mole = 6.022E26 atoms or molecules.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html#c4

A mole (abbreviated mol) of a pure substance is a mass of the material in grams that is numerically equal to the molecular mass in atomic mass units (amu). A mole of any material will contain Avogadro's number of molecules. For example, carbon has an atomic mass of exactly 12.0 atomic mass units -- a mole of carbon is therefore 12 grams.

1. How many deuterium atoms are present in 4 kg of ocean water?

Based on current measurements, there are approximately 1.5 x 10^22 deuterium atoms in every 4 kg of ocean water.

2. How does the amount of deuterium in ocean water affect energy needs in the US?

Deuterium is a key component in nuclear fusion, which is a potential source of clean energy. The more deuterium present in ocean water, the greater the potential for using this energy source to meet the energy needs of the US.

3. What is the significance of calculating deuterium atoms in ocean water?

Calculating the amount of deuterium in ocean water is important for understanding the potential for nuclear fusion as an energy source and for informing research and development in this field.

4. How accurate are current methods for measuring deuterium in ocean water?

While current methods for measuring deuterium in ocean water are quite accurate, there is still room for improvement. Researchers continue to refine and develop new techniques for more precise measurements.

5. How does the concentration of deuterium in ocean water vary globally?

The concentration of deuterium in ocean water is relatively consistent globally with a range of approximately 1 in 6,000 to 1 in 7,000 hydrogen atoms being deuterium. However, there may be slight variations in specific regions due to factors such as temperature, salinity, and depth.