Tennis Ball Vs Glass Ball Vs Rubber Ball

In summary, the little boy is right - the glass ball will bounce higher than the rubber ball. The tennis ball will bounce higher than both the rubber and the glass ball.
kecontroversy
HI guys. I am facing a problem that is quite interesting but quite complicated to explain. so would like to ask some help.

the problem is talking about the boucebackability of three different balls. Tennis ball , glass ball and rubber ball.
there is one little boy claims that the glass ball will bounce higher than rubber ball and the rubber ball will bounce higher than the tennis ball..

and there is boy saying that the tennis ball will bounce higher..

so who's right?

erm... i know that this problem is sumthing related to elastic collisions and about kinetic energy.. i mean the conversion of the energy.
but I am not sure how am i going to explain the fact..
and what are the things i have to take into consideration.
thux...

Physics news on Phys.org
The only variable, assumming the balls are thrown at the same speed and ignoring air resistance, is k, the spring constant. I suppose in the lab you could measure k by measuring the Force required for a certain displacement, i.e. F/x. Though, I think this might be rather difficult for glass which would mostly likely break on impact anyway.

Liquid metal is the bounciest of all.

http://www.liquidmetal.com/news/dsp.multimedia.asp

This stuff is incredible.

It's like the energizer bunny!:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
kecontroversy said:
HI guys. I am facing a problem that is quite interesting but quite complicated to explain. so would like to ask some help.
the problem is talking about the boucebackability of three different balls. Tennis ball , glass ball and rubber ball.
there is one little boy claims that the glass ball will bounce higher than rubber ball and the rubber ball will bounce higher than the tennis ball..
and there is boy saying that the tennis ball will bounce higher..
so who's right?
erm... i know that this problem is sumthing related to elastic collisions and about kinetic energy.. i mean the conversion of the energy.
but I am not sure how am i going to explain the fact..
and what are the things i have to take into consideration.
thux...

A lot is going to depend on the surface the ball strikes. The glass and solid rubber balls will be very "hard", and might underperform a tennis ball on a soft surface (like a grass or clay tennis court). On a harder surface though, the reverse might well happen.

If the ball is harder than the surface, the characteristics of the surface will be the most important for determining the bounce height, as it is the surface that will deform most. If the surface is harder than the ball, the reverse is true. If the ball and surface have the same hardness, then it will depend on the elasticity (energy-conserving properties) of the material, and the magnitude of the peak force. Most materials will be reasonably elastic if the force is below some critical value, the "plastic limit". If the force exceeds this limit, the object will lose significant energy via plastic deformation.

This question is easy to settle experimentally, of course. In our "descriptive physics" course we have a lab experiment in which students measure and compare the "rebound heights" of various kinds of balls on a metal surface.

Everybody laughs when they get to the lead ball, which doesn't rebound at all. It just plops down with a dull "thud" sound instead of a "bing." :smile:

Intuitive said:
Liquid metal is the bounciest of all.
http://www.liquidmetal.com/news/dsp.multimedia.asp
This stuff is incredible.
It's like the energizer bunny!:smile:

Liquidmetal ROCKS! I saw the website some months ago, and I would recommend all to view the videos.
I also found out through the website that SanDisk has a "thumb drive" that's case is made out of this. It's the Cruiser Titanium series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try susbstituting a billard ball for the glass ball, since a billard ball bounces very well on hard surfaces and won't break (within reasonable impact speed range).

Regarding the liquid metal ball, the surface that the balls were bouncing on wasn't described. It could turn out that the other materials would bounce just as well as the liquid ball if bounced on a different surface, such as hard marble (not metallic to make it fair).

1. What are the main differences between a tennis ball, glass ball, and rubber ball?

A tennis ball is made of a hollow rubber core covered in a fuzzy felt material, while a glass ball is made of solid glass and a rubber ball is made of solid rubber. They also have different sizes and weights, with a tennis ball being the lightest and largest, followed by a rubber ball, and a glass ball being the smallest and heaviest.

2. How do the materials of these balls affect their performance?

The materials of these balls greatly affect their performance. A tennis ball's fuzzy felt covering creates friction with the court, allowing for better grip and control. The solid glass of a glass ball makes it heavier and more dense, resulting in a faster and more powerful bounce. A rubber ball's elasticity allows it to bounce higher and more consistently than the other two.

3. Which of these balls is the most durable?

The most durable of these balls is a rubber ball. Rubber is a strong and flexible material, making it able to withstand repeated impacts without losing its shape or breaking. A glass ball, being made of solid glass, is the most fragile and likely to break upon impact. A tennis ball, while durable enough for a single game, can lose its shape and bounce over time with frequent use.

4. What sports or activities are these balls commonly used for?

Tennis balls are primarily used for the sport of tennis, but they can also be used for other racquet sports such as pickleball and platform tennis. Glass balls are commonly used for decorative purposes or in sports such as bowling. Rubber balls have a wide range of uses, including in sports like basketball, soccer, and baseball, as well as in children's games and toys.

5. Can these balls be recycled?

Yes, all three of these balls can be recycled. A tennis ball's felt covering can be removed and recycled separately from the rubber core. Glass balls can be melted down and reused, and rubber balls can be ground up and used to make new rubber products. It is important to properly dispose of these balls to reduce waste and help the environment.