Center of osculating circle

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the center of an osculating circle with given vectors and coordinates. It was determined that the normal vector N(1) may have been incorrectly given and the radius of curvature was necessary to find the center point. After some calculations, the equation for the center point was found and the solution was deemed obvious.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Ok so I have a T vector and N vector...

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
T(1) = \langle \frac{2}{3},\frac{{ - 1}}{3},\frac{2}{3}\rangle \\
N(1) = \langle \frac{2}{3},\frac{2}{3},0\rangle \\
B(1) = T(1) \times N(1) \\
B(1) = \langle \frac{{ - 1}}{3},\frac{2}{3},\frac{2}{3}\rangle \\
\end{array}[/tex]

I also have the coordinate of the original equation at 1...[tex]r(1) = \langle 2,1,0\rangle [/tex]
This left me with the standard equation of the osculating plane...

[tex]- x + 2y + 2z = 0[/tex]

Now I need to find the coordinates of hte center of this circle where t=1. How am i suppose to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]T(1) = \langle \frac{2}{3},\frac{{ - 1}}{3},\frac{2}{3}\rangle[/tex]
Okay, T, I assume, is the unit normal vector at t= 1.
[tex] N(1) = \langle \frac{2}{3},\frac{2}{3},0\rangle [/tex]
This, I have a problem with! I would guess that N is supposed to be a normal vector but it neither has unit length nor is normal to T(1).
Did you intend [tex] N(1) = \langle \frac{2}{3},\frac{2}{3},-frac{1}{3}\rangle [/tex]?

If that was what you intended, then you cannot find the center of the osculating circle without know its radius: the radius of curvature which is 1 over the curvature. The curvature is the length of the derivative of the unit tangent vector with respect to arclength. If you are only given the unit tangent and normal vectors at t=1, you cannot find that directly. There exist many curves having the given tangent and normal vectors at a point with different curvatures and different osculating circles.

Uhh... it should be normal to T, i ran this all through mathematica. I also have the radius at 9/2, didnt' know that was important.

haha after finding an equation online for the center.. I am amazed how I couldn't figure it out on my own. If you have a point on that circle and you have teh radius and the normal vector at that point... it should be a tad bit obvious as to how you find that center point.

Last edited:

What is the center of osculating circle?

The center of osculating circle is the point at which a circle, with the same curvature as a curve at a specific point, is tangent to that curve. It is the center of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

How is the center of osculating circle calculated?

The center of osculating circle is calculated using the formula (x,y) = (a + (k * cosθ), b + (k * sinθ)), where (a,b) is the point on the curve, k is the curvature, and θ is the angle of the tangent line at that point.

What is the significance of the center of osculating circle?

The center of osculating circle is significant because it helps to understand the shape and behavior of curves at specific points. It also allows for the calculation of important properties such as curvature and radius of curvature.

How does the center of osculating circle relate to the curvature of a curve?

The center of osculating circle is directly related to the curvature of a curve. The closer the center is to the curve, the higher the curvature at that point. The farther away the center is, the lower the curvature.

Can the center of osculating circle be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the center of osculating circle has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to design smooth and efficient curves in roads, roller coasters, and other structures. It is also used in animation and modeling to create realistic movements and shapes.