Is Newton's third law disproved

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Newton's third law and its applicability in situations involving magnetic forces. It is mentioned that in the case of charged particles interacting through the electromagnetic field, the total momentum is conserved instead of just the particles' individual momentums. This leads to a violation of Newton's third law in the classical example of magnetic forces. Various experiments and alternative force laws are also mentioned, highlighting the ongoing debate and research on this topic.
Fusina
Hello

I am Fusina, I wish to ask you Three questions which bother my mind.

Its all about Newton's third Law.

Is Newtons third law always obeyed?
Is there an example of two moving particles, who's velocities are such that their mutual magnetic force doesn't obey Newton's 3rd law?

I tried answering this by thinking of two particles moving along the x and y axes respectively, but i can't explain.

Also, i don't know the reason why in practice, the mutual magnetic force of two moving electons is not the same (i heard it has something to do with the momentum lost to the medium of interaction)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not true always. Magnetic forces are the classical example of a situation, where Newton's third law gets violated.

A conservation of momentum is a kind of law that doesn't get violated ever. The Newton's third law is true if you can assume that the objects are interacting so directly, that their combined momentum is conserved.

When you have charged particles interacting, they are in fact interacting with the electromagnetic field. Both the particles and electromagnetic field contain energy and momentum. So in this case the particles' total momentum is not conserved, but instead it is the total momentum of both particles and the field, that is conserved. This is why Newton's third law doesn't apply with magnetic forces anymore.

That's the idea. If you want it more precise, you need to get into mathematics of it.

jostpuur wrote:
It is not true always. Magnetic forces are the classical example of a situation, where Newton's third law gets violated.
Could you give a link where this is further explained ?
Thanks.

jostpuur said:
Is Newtons third law always obeyed?
Is there an example of two moving particles, who's velocities are such that their mutual magnetic force doesn't obey Newton's 3rd law?

This is a very good question. Yes, the Biot-Savart magnetic interaction law formally violates the Newton's third law. This situation is a subject of ongoing debate in research literature. See, for example,

E. Breitenberger, "Magnetic interactions between charged particles", Am. J. Phys. 36 (1968), 505

jostpuur said:
When you have charged particles interacting, they are in fact interacting with the electromagnetic field. Both the particles and electromagnetic field contain energy and momentum. So in this case the particles' total momentum is not conserved, but instead it is the total momentum of both particles and the field, that is conserved. This is why Newton's third law doesn't apply with magnetic forces anymore.

This is the standard explanation. However, the idea of momentum and energy contained in the electromagnetic field leads to even more paradoxes. For example, the total energy of the field around a point charge is infinite.

There are experiments which can be interpreted as an evidence that magnetic interactions between charges are not described by the Biot-Savart law:

P. Graneau, N. Graneau, "Electrodynamic force law controversy"
Phys. Rev. E 63, 058601 (2001)

Eugene.

jostpuur:
This is why Newton's third law doesn't apply with magnetic forces anymore.
If there is no link, could you tell an experiment ( real or imaginary ) that shows this fact.
meopemuk:
For example, the total energy of the field around a point charge is infinite.
? Could you explain this further ?

meopemuk said:

alvaros said:
? Could you explain this further ?

This is a well-known fact. The field energy is given by the space integral of [itex]\mathbf{E}^2 [/itex]. In the vicinity of the point charge, the electric field [itex] \mathbf{E} [/itex] becomes infinite, and the integral diverges.

Eugene.

alvaros, I don't know any site at the moment. I could try to search web, but I probably won't find anything that you couldn't find yourself. The Lorentz force and Biot-Savart law got confirmed by experiment more than 100 years ago (I don't know in fact very accurately when, but something like that anyway). If you know these laws, you can verify yourself by calculating some examples, that Newton's third law can get violated.

One way to go around the problem of infinite energies in classical fashion is to not use point charges, but instead replace them with small balls of finite but large charge density. When you solve the electric field for them, and its energy, you can see that it approaches infinity when the radius of the ball is taken to zero. But the problem is solved to some extent simply by not letting the radius go zero, and instead giving it some small but nonzero value.

jostpuur said:
The Lorentz force and Biot-Savart law got confirmed by experiment more than 100 years ago (I don't know in fact very accurately when, but something like that anyway).

It is true that Lorentz and Biot-Savart force laws are integral parts of Maxwell's electrodynamics, as presented in all textbooks. However, it is not true that these laws were confirmed by experiment beyond any doubt. Over the years alternative expressions for the magnetic force were proposed. They include the Ampere force law and Darwin potentials. It appears that it is very difficult to distinguish these different force laws in usual experiments by measuring interactions of closed current loops. All these force laws give the same total force when integrated along the closed loop.

There are experimental groups, which continue to investigate these questions. These are not "mainstream" activities, but they are not "crackpot" either. One recent example is:

N. Graneau, T. Phipps Jr., D. Roscoe, "An experimental confirmation of longitudinal electrodynamic forces" Eur. Phys. J. D 15 (2001), 87.

Eugene.

Right now I am confused, I've never thougth about Newton 3rd-law and magnetic forces. I must study the issue.
Anyway
There are no "point charges" and I don't know how this fact could be related to the OP question.
Thanks to all.

alvaros said:
There are no "point charges"

What about the charge of the electron?

Eugene.

1. Is there any evidence that disproves Newton's third law of motion?

No, there is no evidence that disproves Newton's third law of motion. It has been a fundamental principle in the field of physics for over 300 years and has been consistently supported by experiments and observations.

2. Can you provide an example where Newton's third law does not apply?

Newton's third law of motion applies to all interactions between objects. However, there are some scenarios where it may seem like the law does not apply, such as in cases of friction or when one object is significantly more massive than the other. However, upon closer examination, it can be seen that the forces are still acting in opposite directions, as predicted by the third law.

3. Are there any exceptions to Newton's third law?

No, there are no exceptions to Newton's third law of motion. It is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all interactions between objects. However, there may be situations where it may be challenging to observe the equal and opposite forces due to external factors such as air resistance or friction.

4. Can Newton's third law be proven mathematically?

Yes, Newton's third law of motion can be proven mathematically through the use of Newton's second law (F=ma) and the principle of conservation of momentum. The equal and opposite forces predicted by the third law can also be derived from these equations.

5. How does Newton's third law relate to everyday life?

Newton's third law of motion can be observed in everyday life, from simple actions like walking to more complex scenarios like driving a car. For example, when walking, our feet push against the ground (action force), and the ground pushes back with an equal and opposite force (reaction force), propelling us forward. Understanding the third law can also help explain the functioning of many machines and devices, from rockets to elevators.