Incline Plane with Friction with one object hanging?

In summary, the 7.00kg object experiences an acceleration of 7.64m/s^s while the 12.0kg object experiences an acceleration of 9.81m/s^s.
myelevatorbeat

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration reached by each of the two objects shown in Figure P4.49 if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 7.00kg object and the plane is 0.250

Here is a picture of the problem: http://a496.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/90/l_1488ef92fb0cdcd21ba1febcabca499f.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm calling the 7.00 kg object M1 and the 12.0kg object M2.

<b>For M1</b>
(Fnet)x=ma
T+mgsin37degrees-fk=m1a

(Fnet)y=ma (a=o)
n1-mgcos37degrees=0
n1=mgcos37degrees

<b>For M2</b>
(Fnet)y=m2a
T-m2g=m2a
T=m2a+m2g

I take this equation and put it in the (Fnet)x equation I got for M1:
T+mgsin37degrees-fk=m1a
m2a+m2g+mgsin37degrees-fk=m1a
m2a+m2g+mgsin37degrees-(0.250)mgcos37degrees=m1a
m2g+mgsin37degrees-(0.250)mgcos37degrees=m1a-m2a
a=m2g+mgsin37degrees-(0.250)mgcos37degrees / (m1-m2)
a=7.64 m/s^s

Now, my question is: It says "Find the acceleration reached by <b>each</b> of the two objects. Now, I know with an ideal pulley the tensions on both side of the equation are equal, but I'm not sure if the acceleration is. I would assume so cause it's one rope and one rope can't move at two different speeds at once, but I could be wrong. So, is that the answer to the acceleration of both blocks or merely the acceleration of the 7.00kg object and there is further work to be done to find the acceleration of the 12.0kg object?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can assume accelerations are the same... But careful about signs... if you assume the acceleration of M1 is a acting upward to the right... then you must assume that the acceleration of M2 is a downward... so this will affect the signs in your equations.

also here:

<b>For M1</b>
(Fnet)x=ma
T+mgsin37degrees-fk=m1a

I think you should have T - m1gsin37 - fk = m1a. (minus instead of plus)

And since you've assumed that a is upward to the right for M1... it is downward for M2... so

T - m2g = m2(-a)

myelevatorbeat said:
<b>For M1</b>
(Fnet)x=ma
T+mgsin37degrees-fk=m1a
The tension and the component of the weight act in different directions.

In calling the acceleration "a", be sure to use a consistent sign convention for M1 & M2: If M1 accelerates up the incline, M2 must accelerate down.
Now, I know with an ideal pulley the tensions on both side of the equation are equal, but I'm not sure if the acceleration is. I would assume so cause it's one rope and one rope can't move at two different speeds at once, but I could be wrong.
That is correct and is essential to solving the problem.

1. What is an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging?

An inclined plane with friction with one object hanging is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is inclined at an angle, with a rough surface that causes friction, and a single object that is suspended or hanging from a rope or string.

2. How does an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging work?

An inclined plane with friction with one object hanging works by using the force of gravity and the angle of the incline to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object up or down the plane. The friction on the surface of the incline helps to slow down or stop the object from sliding down too quickly.

3. What is the purpose of an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging?

The purpose of an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging is to make it easier to move an object up or down an incline by reducing the amount of force needed. This simple machine is often used in everyday objects, such as ramps, stairs, and slides.

4. What factors affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging?

The motion of an object on an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the incline, and any external forces acting on the object.

5. How can the efficiency of an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging be improved?

The efficiency of an inclined plane with friction with one object hanging can be improved by reducing the amount of friction between the object and the surface of the incline, using a steeper incline, or reducing the mass of the object. Additionally, using a pulley system or lubricating the surface of the incline can also improve efficiency.