Understanding Urysohn's Lemma: Explaining the "If" Part

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about understanding the "if" part of Urysohn's lemma, which is only applicable in normal topological spaces. The definition of a normal space is also mentioned. The conversation then discusses whether the sets [0,1/2) and (1/2,1] are open, with one participant finding it counterintuitive due to their understanding of open sets. Ultimately, it is clarified that [0, 1/2) is an open subset of [0, 1].
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Urysohn's lemma

My book says that the "if" part of Urysohn's lemma is obvious with no explanation. Can someone explain why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It would have been a good idea to actually state Urysohn's lemma as it is given in your book. Sometimes statements vary from one book to another. In particular you should note that Urysohn's lemma only applies in NORMAL spaces. What is the definition of a "Normal" topological space?

HallsofIvy said:
It would have been a good idea to actually state Urysohn's lemma as it is given in your book. Sometimes statements vary from one book to another. In particular you should note that Urysohn's lemma only applies in NORMAL spaces. What is the definition of a "Normal" topological space?

Sorry. I meant to put a link to Wikipedia, which has the same statement of Urysohn's Lemma as that in my book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urysohns_lemma

It comes down to whether the sets [0,1/2) and (1/2,1] are open. Apparently this is obvious to other people, but it seems counterintuitive to me because I thought open sets were open intervals.

ehrenfest said:
Sorry. I meant to put a link to Wikipedia, which has the same statement of Urysohn's Lemma as that in my book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urysohns_lemma

It comes down to whether the sets [0,1/2) and (1/2,1] are open. Apparently this is obvious to other people, but it seems counterintuitive to me because I thought open sets were open intervals.
[0, 1/2) is not an open subset of R
[0, 1/2) is an open subset of [0, 1].

I guess that makes sense, since balls around around 0 can have no negative numbers in them, so they are really just half-balls.

What is Urysohn's Lemma?

Urysohn's Lemma is a theorem in topology that states that for any two disjoint closed sets in a normal topological space, there exists a continuous function that separates them.

What does the "if" part of Urysohn's Lemma state?

The "if" part of Urysohn's Lemma states that if a topological space is normal, then it satisfies the conditions of the lemma.

What is the significance of Urysohn's Lemma?

Urysohn's Lemma is significant because it helps prove other important theorems in topology, such as the Tietze Extension Theorem and the Urysohn Metrization Theorem.

Can you provide an example of how Urysohn's Lemma is used?

One example of how Urysohn's Lemma is used is in the proof of the Urysohn Metrization Theorem, which states that any second-countable, Hausdorff, regular space is metrizable. Urysohn's Lemma is used to construct a metric on the space by defining a function that separates points in the space and then using this function to define a metric.

Are there any limitations to Urysohn's Lemma?

Yes, Urysohn's Lemma only applies to normal topological spaces and cannot be used to prove the separation of disjoint closed sets in non-normal spaces.