Multiplication of vector problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of A in a right triangle given the values of B and C, which have the same magnitude as A and a direction angle greater than A by 25.0 degrees. The given values of B*C and A*B can be used to set up a system of equations using the Pythagorean theorem and the dot product.
Adrianw2

Homework Statement

Let B = 5.00m at 60 degrees. Let C have the same magnitude as A and a direction angle greater than that of A by 25.0 degrees. Let A*B = 30.0 m^2 and B*C = 35.0 m2. Find A.

Homework Equations

Pythagoras maybe.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if A*B is 30 m^2, and B is 5.00m, then shouldn't A = 6.0 m? However, I don't think it's that easy, so I made the right angle triangle with B (5.0m) as the hypotenuse at 6 meters above the horizontal, and got 4.33m as the opposite and 2.5m as the adjacent. Am I going to be calculating areas of triangles? I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the astericks denote the scalar product? I think your going to have to set up a system of simulatenous equations.

Yeah, the astericks are actually a dot, so it may have something to do with the dot product where it's AxBx + AyBy or something along those lines.

Adrianw2 said:
Yeah, the astericks are actually a dot, so it may have something to do with the dot product where it's AxBx + AyBy or something along those lines.
I suggest you write out two equations using [itex]\theta[/itex] to denote the unknown angle.

What is vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to produce a new vector. There are two types of vector multiplication: dot product and cross product.

What is the purpose of vector multiplication?

The purpose of vector multiplication is to find the relationship between two or more vectors, such as their direction and magnitude. It is also used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

How do you perform vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication can be performed using different formulas, depending on the type of multiplication. For dot product, you multiply the corresponding components of the vectors and then sum them up. For cross product, you use the determinant of a matrix formed by the vectors' components.

What are some applications of vector multiplication?

Vector multiplication is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating work and energy in physics, determining torque in engineering, and creating 3D graphics in computer programming. It is also used in navigation and mapping systems.

What are some common mistakes when performing vector multiplication?

Some common mistakes when performing vector multiplication include forgetting to consider the order of the vectors, using the wrong formula, and making errors in calculation. It is important to double-check the steps and formulas used to avoid these mistakes.