If 5<x+3<7 does this imply |x+3|<7 ?

• Thread starter coverband
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of the inequality 5<x+3<7 on the inequality |x+3|<7, as well as the bounds for |x+3| in different equations. It also addresses the linguistic convention in math regarding the use of "implies" and its converse. The conversation also includes a clarification on a typo in the first inequality mentioned.
coverband
If 5<x+3<7 does this imply |x+3|<7 ??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
coverband said:

well |x+3|<7 implies that

-7<x+3<7, which means that -10<x<4

now you have 5<x+3<7
which means that 2< x<4, so what do u think now?

also, i do not think it is right to say 5<x+3<7, implies |x+3|<7, but rather when the first holds true, also the second will hold true. the vice versa does not hold true.

I know its just my analysis notes that subject is so weird the lecturer writes things down that don't make sense and then looks at you like you've got ten heads when you question it. Weird subject man

"also, i do not think it is right to say 5<x+3<7, implies |x+3|<7, but rather when the first holds true, also the second will hold true. the vice versa does not hold true."

Thanks i think

Also if |x-3| < A/|x+3| we need to bound |x+3| right?

Now if you take |2/3x||x-1/2| < A why do we bound |2/3x| and not |3x/2| ?

coverband said:
I know its just my analysis notes that subject is so weird the lecturer writes things down that don't make sense and then looks at you like you've got ten heads when you question it. Weird subject man

Why do you consider that weird or that it doesn't make sense? Frankly when I read your first post I thought it was by a student in an algebra or pre-calculus class. Yes, I can imagine a teacher, in an analysis class who had written "if 5<x+3<7 then |x+3|<7", thinking "Oh, my god, am I going to have to go back and teach basic algebra?" if a student questioned it.

If 5< x+ 3< 7 then it is certainly true that -7< x+ 3< 7 so |x+3|< 7.

sutupidmath said:
also, i do not think it is right to say 5<x+3<7, implies |x+3|<7, but rather when the first holds true, also the second will hold true. the vice versa does not hold true.

The linguistic convention in math is that "A implies B' means precisely that there is no case when A holds and B doesn't.

sutupidmath said:
?? That is exactly what "implies" means. "A implies B" means that whenever A is true, B is also true. It does NOT mean that the converse, "If B is true then A is true" holds.

HallsofIvy said:
?? That is exactly what "implies" means. "A implies B" means that whenever A is true, B is also true. It does NOT mean that the converse, "If B is true then A is true" holds.

Really! It might be because of my english not being my first language then! sorry, my bad!

HallsofIvy said:
If 5< x+ 3< 7 then it is certainly true that -7< x+ 3< 7 so |x+3|< 7.

But in the first one 2<x<4, in the second one -10<x<4

well if x is greater than two it's certainly greater than 10...

matticus said:
well if x is greater than two it's certainly greater than 10...
! Oh, wait, that was a typo. "greater than -10".

coverband said:
But in the first one 2<x<4, in the second one -10<x<4

That's why it is not a "biconditional". 2< x< 4 implies -10< x< 4 (because -10< 2) but the other way is not true.

1. What is the meaning of the inequality 5

The inequality 5

2. How can we prove that 5

We can prove this by using the properties of absolute value and the given inequality. Since 5

3. Is the inequality 5

Yes, the two inequalities are equivalent. They both represent the same range of values for x+3, which is between 5 and 7. The only difference is that the absolute value inequality explicitly states that the distance of x+3 from 0 is less than 7.

4. Can the inequality 5

No, if |x+3| is greater than or equal to 7, then the inequality 5

5. How can we apply this concept in real-life scenarios?

This concept can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as measuring the accuracy of a scientific experiment or calculating the probability of an event occurring within a certain range. For example, if an experiment has an expected result between 5 and 7, then any result with an absolute value less than 7 would be considered accurate.