What are the Best Books for Learning Elementary Quantum Field Theory and Particle Physics?

In summary, I would suggest starting with Griffiths' "Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics", followed by Aitchison and Hey's "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics", and then Maggiore's "A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory". For mathematics knowledge, you will need calculus in the complex plane, differential equations (particularly Green's functions), linear algebra, and an understanding of the Dirac delta function. It is also helpful to know about Fourier transforms and group theory, which can be learned while studying QFT and particle physics. For group theory, the books mentioned all have some introduction but it is not necessary to study it in depth before starting on QFT. It is also recommended to read Srednicki's book after going
vinay uppal
Could someone suggest a good book for elementary QFT and particle physics?(I don't know which to read first). I have very little idea about QFT. Could someone also tell me what maths knowledge is required?

Physics news on Phys.org
vinay uppal said:
Could someone suggest a good book for elementary QFT and particle physics?(I don't know which to read first). I have very little idea about QFT. Could someone also tell me what maths knowledge is required?

I would suggest

In order: Griffiths, Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics

Then: Aitchison and Hey, Gauge Theories in Particle Physics

Then: Maggiore, A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory.

Then the more well-known books by Zee, Peskin and Schroeder, Ryder, etc.

As for maths, you need calculus in the complex plane, differential equations (Green's functions in particular), linear algebra, you need to know about the Dirac delta function. You don't need very advanced maths, actually.

Hey thanks a lot.

I think Peskin and Schroder is brilliant.

You'll also need Fourier transforms before you start, and concurrently learning some group theory is helpful. P&S is a good place to start with group theory as well.

schieghoven said:
I think Peskin and Schroder is brilliant.

You'll also need Fourier transforms before you start, and concurrently learning some group theory is helpful. P&S is a good place to start with group theory as well.

Thanks. Any good book for group theory?

vinay uppal said:
Thanks. Any good book for group theory?

It's better to learn it as you go, while doing QFT and particle physics. The books I mentioned introduce a bit of group theory, as much as you need to see the applications in particle physics. You could pick up math books on group theory but you would then have to learn a lot of stuff not used in particle physics before getting to what is required so it's not the nest way to do it (If you do use math books, make sure that you focus on the sections on Lie algebras).

It's true that Fourier transforms are important.

As for Peskin and Schroeder, I think that some part of it are good but some are confusing.

Oh, I forgot: an ever better QFT book after you will have gone through the ones I mentioned is the book by Srednicki

1. What is "elementary QFT"?

"Elementary QFT" refers to elementary quantum field theory, which is a branch of theoretical physics that studies the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the interactions between particles and their corresponding fields.

2. What age group are "Books for elementary QFT" targeted towards?

These books are typically targeted towards elementary school-aged children, usually between the ages of 6-12. However, they can also be useful for older students or adults who are new to the subject and want a simplified introduction.

3. What topics are covered in "Books for elementary QFT"?

These books cover basic concepts and principles of quantum field theory, such as particles, fields, and interactions. They may also touch on related topics like special relativity and the Standard Model of particle physics. Some books may also include hands-on activities or experiments to help explain these complex concepts.

4. Are "Books for elementary QFT" suitable for beginners?

Yes, these books are designed for beginners and do not require any prior knowledge of quantum field theory or advanced mathematics. They are written in a simple and easy-to-understand language, making them accessible to readers of all ages and backgrounds.

5. Can "Books for elementary QFT" be used as a teaching tool in the classroom?

Yes, these books can be a great resource for teachers looking to introduce their students to the basics of quantum field theory. They can be used as a supplement to textbooks or as a standalone teaching tool. Some books may even include lesson plans or activities for classroom use.