Complex Anal. Problems: Need Help!

In summary: It just doesn't fit the strict definition of a pole.In summary, the first problem is about the convergence of a series and the confusion caused by different definitions used. The second problem is about determining whether a singularity is a pole or an essential singularity, and the confusion caused by the given function not fitting the strict definition of either. The provided link offers a solution to the first problem, but further clarification may be needed for the second problem.
matheater
I have the following problems
(1)Consider the series ∑z^n,|z|<1 z is in C
I thik this series is absolutely and uniformly comvergent since the series ∑|z|^n is con vergent for |z|<1,but I have a book saying that it is absolutely convergent,not uniformly...i am confused...
(2)for the function f(z)=1/√(z-1),z=1 is a (a)pole (b)an essential singularity ?
I think it is an essential singularity since if it is a pole,say of order m then m is a positive integer and we can write f(z)=g(z)/(z-1)^m, where g(z) is analytic at z=1 and g(1)≠0,
but the given function cannot be written in this way,but the answer is given pole,i am again confused...
Can anybody help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) It is indeed not uniformly convergent. You really just have to apply the definition of uniform convergence to see it.
2) It is a fact that a singularity is only an essential singularity if and only if the limit does not exist and it is not infinity. The definition of a pole is we can write f(z) = g(z) / (z-a)^n, for some holomorphic g, and the order of the pole is the smallest n for which this is true. If f(z) = z^-1/2, then this is satisfied by taking g(z) = z^1/2 and n = 1.

For #1 we had a similar question on a homework set...
You can see the solution here, http://www.math.mcgill.ca/jaksic/MATH249.html
go to Assignment 5 solutions, and it's the first question.

nicksauce said:
1) It is indeed not uniformly convergent. You really just have to apply the definition of uniform convergence to see it.
2) It is a fact that a singularity is only an essential singularity if and only if the limit does not exist and it is not infinity. The definition of a pole is we can write f(z) = g(z) / (z-a)^n, for some holomorphic g, and the order of the pole is the smallest n for which this is true. If f(z) = z^-1/2, then this is satisfied by taking g(z) = z^1/2 and n = 1.
Thank u very much for your kind help,but I couldn't understand the second answer,will u please explain it a bit more ?

I don't know what more I can do but restate what I wrote before. I don't have my complex analysis book with me right now, but wikipedia define a pole as follows:

Suppose f has a singularity at x = a... If there exists a holomorphic function g(z) so that we can write
[tex]f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{(x-a)^n}[/tex], then a is a pole of order n, where n is the smallest number for which f can be written like this.

Now consider [tex]f(z) = z^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex], which has a singularity at z = 0. We can write
[tex]f(z) = \frac{z^ {\frac{1}{2}}}{z}[/tex]
Therefore z=0 is a pole of order 1.

nicksauce said:
I don't know what more I can do but restate what I wrote before. I don't have my complex analysis book with me right now, but wikipedia define a pole as follows:

Suppose f has a singularity at x = a... If there exists a holomorphic function g(z) so that we can write
[tex]f(z) = \frac{g(z)}{(x-a)^n}[/tex], then a is a pole of order n, where n is the smallest number for which f can be written like this.

Now consider [tex]f(z) = z^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex], which has a singularity at z = 0. We can write
[tex]f(z) = \frac{z^ {\frac{1}{2}}}{z}[/tex]
Therefore z=0 is a pole of order 1.
but g(0)=0,how is this satisfying the criteria for being a pole?

Hmm this is true... I retract my answer, and hope someone else can help you.

Neither. Both poles and essential singularities require the relevant function to be holomorphic on a deleted neighborhood of the singularity. [tex]z^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] isn't even continuous on one of these neighborhoods. In descriptive terms, however, it would look like half of a simple pole stretched around.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and functions, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. It involves the use of techniques and methods from calculus, algebra, and geometry to understand the properties and behavior of these complex functions.

2. Why are complex analysis problems difficult to solve?

Complex analysis problems can be difficult to solve because they involve working with complex numbers, which have unique properties and rules that differ from those of real numbers. Additionally, complex functions can behave in unexpected and complex ways, making it challenging to find solutions or analyze their behavior.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve complex analysis problems?

Some common techniques used to solve complex analysis problems include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, Laurent series, and residue theorem. These techniques utilize fundamental concepts from calculus, such as differentiation and integration, to solve complex equations and analyze complex functions.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving complex analysis problems?

Improving skills in solving complex analysis problems requires practice and a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques. It is also helpful to work on a variety of problems, from basic to more advanced, and seek guidance from textbooks, online resources, and experienced mathematicians.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many real-world applications, including in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to solve problems involving electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and the behavior of financial markets. In computer graphics, complex analysis is used to create and manipulate images and animations.