3-D cylindrical equation graphing

In summary: You get r*cos(theta), which is the same as saying the distance from the point to the z-axis is r*cos(theta) meters. There you have it! In summary, r tells you the distance from the point to the z-axis for each angle theta, just as in Cartesian coordinates.
NBAJam100

Homework Statement

Represent the surface in space, identify the surface-

r=2cos(theta)

Homework Equations

Uhh...

The Attempt at a Solution

My main thing here is this... how does r tell me anything about the graph of the function in a 3-D plane? i see that r=2cos(theta) but what does it tell me?? i know that 2cos(theta) = cos^2(t)-sin^2(t), so r= that... now what>? I am honestly stumped here, that's really as far as i can go with what i know.

Physics news on Phys.org
NBAJam100 said:
Represent the surface in space, identify the surface-

r=2cos(theta)

My main thing here is this... how does r tell me anything about the graph of the function in a 3-D plane? i see that r=2cos(theta) but what does it tell me?? i know that 2cos(theta) = cos^2(t)-sin^2(t), so r= that... now what>? I am honestly stumped here, that's really as far as i can go with what i know.

Hi NBAJam100! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a squared: ² :smile:)

Can you check the equation?

r can't be negative, and cosθ can be negative, so how can it be r = 2cosθ? :confused:

(also, it isn't 2cosθ = cos²θ-sin²θ, it's cos2θ)

Last edited:
First, forget "2cos(theta)= cos^2(t)- sin^2(t)". It isn't true. You may be thinking about "cos(2 theta)= cos^2(theta)- sin^2(theta)" but that doesn't help here.

What does r= 2cos(theta) tell you? It tells you the r coordinate: the distance from the point to the z-axis, for each angle theta, of course.

Because this is in cylindrical coordinates, the first thing you should do is think about exactly what cylindrical coordinates are: there are 3 coordinates, of course, r, theta, and z. z measures the height above the xy-plane just as in Cartesian coordinates and r and theta are just the usual polar coordinates except that they apply to each plane parallel to the xy-plane. In particular, do you notice that there is no "z" in the formula? That tells you that the surface looks exactly the same for all different z!

You should also think about the equations connecting cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates: x= r cos(theta), y= r sin(theta), z= z or (inverting) r= [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}, theta= arctan(y/x), z= z. Your equation is r= 2 cos(theta). What do you get if you multiply both sides of the equation by r?

1. What is a 3-D cylindrical equation?

A 3-D cylindrical equation is an equation that represents a 3-dimensional object in cylindrical coordinates. It describes the relationship between the radius, height, and angle of a point in space.

2. How is a 3-D cylindrical equation graphed?

To graph a 3-D cylindrical equation, we first need to convert it into its Cartesian form. Then, we can plot points on a 3-dimensional coordinate system using the converted equation. These points will form a curved surface, which represents the graph of the equation.

3. What are some common 3-D cylindrical equations?

Some common 3-D cylindrical equations include the equation for a cylinder, cone, and paraboloid. These equations can vary depending on the orientation and dimensions of the object being represented.

4. How are 3-D cylindrical equations used in science?

3-D cylindrical equations are used in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. They are used to model and analyze 3-dimensional objects and phenomena, such as electric fields, fluid flow, and planetary orbits.

5. What are the challenges of graphing 3-D cylindrical equations?

Graphing 3-D cylindrical equations can be challenging because it requires visualizing and manipulating objects in 3-dimensional space. It also involves complex calculations and precise plotting of points. Additionally, some equations may have multiple variables and parameters that can affect the shape of the graph.