HH Equation to calculate [HCO3-]

• Thread starter Wek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the concentration of [HCO3] using given values of pH, PO2, and PCO2. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is used, and it is mentioned that the pO2 is irrelevant. The concentration of H2CO3 can be found using the HH equation and pKa1, which can be found in textbooks or tables. The concentration of CO2 can be calculated using Henry's law, with a solubility coefficient of 0.037. The pK value for the reaction H2CO3 <-> H+ + HCO3- is given as 6.4, but it is mentioned that the value of 6.1 could also be correct.
Wek
I'm given the following values: pH = 7.48, PO2 = 120mmHg, and PCO2 = 18mmHg.
I have to find the [HCO3] using these values. There's one thing I don't understand about the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and that is how to calculate the [CO2]. I found out that [CO2] = 0.03*PCO2. My question is, what is the 0.03 that is multiplied to the PCO2 to get the [CO2] value?

One last thing, the pKa in the HH equation, is it of the HCO2?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell pO2 is irrelevant. You need to find concentration of H2CO3 (could be you are to assume it is identical with concentration of dissolved CO2, that's a common approximation). Then you should use HH equation, pKa1 describes equilibrium of the reaction

H2CO3 <-> H+ + HCO3-

and you have it either in your textbook or in any tables with Ka values.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I used the HH equation to find the [HCO3] and it came out to be 13. I' not given any concentration for CO2 or H2CO3. In this case, how would you be able to find the concentration of CO2 or even H2CO3, if its possible at all? The value I used for [CO2] was something I found on Cornell's website but it was not explain why they used that, which is what I'm asking.

Concentration of CO2 is something that can be calculated - for known partial pressure - using Henry's law.

Wek said:
Yes, I used the HH equation to find the [HCO3] and it came out to be 13. I' not given any concentration for CO2 or H2CO3. In this case, how would you be able to find the concentration of CO2 or even H2CO3, if its possible at all? The value I used for [CO2] was something I found on Cornell's website but it was not explain why they used that, which is what I'm asking.

0.037 represents the solubility coefficient of C02 in plasma under physiological conditions. Units are mmol/mmHg/cc

Amount of C02 is a linear function of the product P(C02) and aforementioned solubility coefficient.
I believe pK is 6.1 in this case.

DanP said:
Amount of C02 is a linear function of the product P(C02) and aforementioned solubility coefficient.

That's Henry's law.

I believe pK is 6.1 in this case.

My tables give 6.4. It doesn't mean 6.1 is incorrect, could be that's value already corrected for the activity coefficients of all ions assuming ionic strength of plasma.

What is the HH Equation used for?

The HH Equation is used to calculate the concentration of bicarbonate ions (HCO3-) in a solution based on the pH and partial pressure of carbon dioxide (pCO2).

How is the HH Equation derived?

The HH Equation is derived from the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of carbonic acid (H2CO3) in water.

What are the assumptions made in the HH Equation?

The HH Equation assumes that the solution is at equilibrium, that the concentration of dissolved carbon dioxide is equal to the partial pressure of carbon dioxide, and that the concentration of bicarbonate ions is equal to the concentration of carbonic acid.

What units are used in the HH Equation?

The HH Equation uses units of moles per liter (M) for concentrations, atmospheres (atm) for partial pressure of carbon dioxide, and pH for the acidity of the solution.

How accurate is the HH Equation?

The HH Equation is accurate within a range of approximately 6.1 to 8.1 for pH and 0.03 to 0.5 atmospheres for pCO2. It is less accurate outside of these ranges due to the assumptions made in the equation.