Is ab+ac/a equal to b+ac? AB+AC/A=B+AC Equality Homework"

• Thread starter Cornraker
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem where the two sides of an equation are not equal. The person is trying to understand why they are not equal and mentions asking their teacher for help. Borek suggests using parentheses to clarify which expressions are in the numerator. The conversation also discusses whether it is important to know the exact nature of the problem and how to properly support statements. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the problem is equal for certain values of the variables, but not for others.
Cornraker

Homework Statement

So i get a home work problem that goes like this. ab+ac/a=b+ac.

is the left side of the equation not equal to or equal to the right side?

Physics news on Phys.org

[tex]ab + \frac {ac} {a} = b + ac[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac {ab + ac} {a} = b + ac[/tex]

?

thanks Borek. My answers in the back of my textbook say it is not equal but i can't figure out why. ill ask my teacher tommorow i just wanted to get some help ahead of time. thanks

Cornraker said:
thanks Borek. My answers in the back of my textbook say it is not equal but i can't figure out why. ill ask my teacher tommorow i just wanted to get some help ahead of time. thanks
Please read what Borek wrote. He's not giving you and answer; he's trying to understand what you meant. Please use parentheses to indicate which expressions are in the numerator on the left side.

either way they arent equal. so what does it matter

dacruick said:
either way they arent equal. so what does it matter
It's always better to know exactly what the problem is than to not know, that's why it matters.

Mark44 said:
It's always better to know exactly what the problem is than to not know, that's why it matters.

But it doesn't matter with respect to his answer. Neither of them are equal. If the problem represented something physical then i understand that.'

And for the record, you support your statements poorly. Why should i know this? oh because its better to know then not to know?

Well, the second equation is equal when a=1...

And the first equation is equal when a=1 and b=c.

They aren't necessarily unequal.

dacruick said:
But it doesn't matter with respect to his answer.
Yes, that is true. On the other hand, a large number of posters in this forum present problems that are ambiguous. For my part, I would rather make these posters aware that their problems can be interpreted in multiple ways than work all possible variants of these problems.
dacruick said:
Neither of them are equal. If the problem represented something physical then i understand that.'
I don't see how that makes a difference.
dacruick said:
And for the record, you support your statements poorly. Why should i know this? oh because its better to know then not to know?
So are you saying that it is not better to know exactly what the problem is?

Ok I looked at it again and I do realize he was just asking which form of the problem I meant and the second one is the correct one. I still do not understand why they are unequal.

[tex]\frac {ab + ac} {a} = \frac{a(b + c)}{a} = b + c \neq b + ac[/tex]
The first and last expressions above are not identically equal. They are conditionally equal for some values of the variables, such as a = 1.

Cornraker, just because they are equal for some values does not in a sense warrant that equal sign.

1. Is this equation true for all values of a, b, and c?

Yes, as long as a is not equal to 0, this equation is true for all values of b and c.

2. How can this equation be simplified?

This equation can be simplified by distributing the denominator, giving us (AB+AC)/A = B+AC. Then, we can subtract AC from both sides to get AB/A = B, which can be further simplified to A = B.

3. Can this equation be solved for a, b, or c?

No, this equation cannot be solved for any of the variables as they all cancel out during the simplification process.

4. What is the significance of this equation?

This equation shows the relationship between the values of a, b, and c in terms of equality. It also demonstrates the properties of algebra, such as the ability to simplify and manipulate equations.

5. Is this equation applicable in real life situations?

Yes, this equation can be applied in various situations such as solving for unknown variables in a system of equations or in physics calculations involving multiple variables. It also showcases the importance of understanding and applying mathematical concepts in everyday life.