Convergence of subsequence in metric space

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a subsequence that does not converge to a given limit. The process involves finding infinitely many points in the sequence that are a certain distance away from the limit and using them to construct the subsequence. It is shown that all subsequences of this subsequence also do not converge to the limit. This is proven using the definition of convergence.
kingwinner

Homework Statement

ra17.JPG

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not having much progress on this question. My thoughts are as shown above.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) yes you are right

2) you construct it. ('let the first term be ___, let the next term be ____').

once you have constructed one, call it w, then there is a contradicion because the hypotheses is that EVERY subsequence has a subsequence that converges to a. clearly w is a subsequence that does not have a subsequence that converges to a since it stays away from a, hence contradiction

Last edited:
2) Any hints about how to construct the subsequence? I'm always struggling with this type of question about constructing subsequences becuase I just don't know how to begin...

3) "clearly w does not have a subsequence that converges to a since it stays away from a"
I understand that by construction w stays away from a, but why does it imply that ALL subsequences stay away from a? How can we prove this? Or is there a theorem that guarantees this?

Thank you!

2) since xn does not converge to a, then for some epsilon, say e, there are infinitely many points in the sequence xn such that |x-a|>e. So, make the first element of our subsequence the first such point, the 2nd element the 2nd such point, and so on. We won't run out of points because there are infinitely many of them.

3) just making sure I'm clear here, i mean that all subsequences of w can not converge to a. think about it, draw a diagram if you have to: if you have a sequence that is always at least a certain distance away from a then obviously no subsequence of it can converge to a. I edited my original post, hopefully a bit clearer now.

boboYO said:
2) since xn does not converge to a, then for some epsilon, say e, there are infinitely many points in the sequence xn such that |x-a|>e. So, make the first element of our subsequence the first such point, the 2nd element the 2nd such point, and so on. We won't run out of points because there are infinitely many of them.

3) just making sure I'm clear here, i mean that all subsequences of w can not converge to a. think about it, draw a diagram if you have to: if you have a sequence that is always at least a certain distance away from a then obviously no subsequence of it can converge to a. I edited my original post, hopefully a bit clearer now.

2) I'm trying to figure out why when xn does not converge to a, then there are infinitely many points in the sequence xn such that |xn-a|>e
To negate the definition of convergence,
xn does NOT converge to a iff
there exists e>0 s.t. for all N, there exists n s.t. n>N, but |xn -a|>=e.

Does this imply that for some e, there are infinitely many points in the sequence xn such that |xn-a|>=e? Why?

And if there are infinitely many points, then we can always choose the subsequence s.t. the indices are always strictly increasing (as required in the definition of subsequence), right?

3) OK, now I can see intuitively that no subsequence of w can converge to a. But how can we prove it formally? Would it be a "proof by contradiction" kind of thing?

Thank you!

both 2) and 3) follow almost immediately from the definition of convergence :)

no need to use contradiction for 3) either, using your

xn does NOT converge to a iff
there exists e>0 s.t. for all N, there exists n s.t. n>N, but |xn -a|>=e.
it's quite straightforward. just find a suitable e.

1. What is the definition of convergence of a subsequence in a metric space?

In a metric space, a sequence {xn} is said to converge to a point x if for every positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n > N, the distance between xn and x is less than ε.

2. How is the convergence of a subsequence different from the convergence of a sequence?

A subsequence of a sequence is formed by selecting certain terms from the original sequence in a specific order. The convergence of a subsequence means that the selected terms of the subsequence converge to a point, while the convergence of a sequence means that all terms of the sequence converge to a point.

3. Can a subsequence converge to a different point than the original sequence?

Yes, a subsequence can converge to a different point than the original sequence. This is because the subsequence may consist of a different selection of terms, which can lead to a different point of convergence.

4. How is the convergence of a subsequence related to the convergence of the entire sequence?

If a sequence converges, then all of its subsequences also converge to the same point. However, the converse is not true. A subsequence may converge even if the original sequence does not converge.

5. Can a subsequence of a divergent sequence converge?

Yes, a subsequence of a divergent sequence can still converge to a point. This is because the subsequence may consist of a different selection of terms that may exhibit a different behavior and lead to convergence.