Evaluate this definite integral 20x + 3x^2 - (2/3)x^3 from [-2, 5] ?

In summary, the problem stated in the homework statement involves finding the area of a region enclosed by two curves, and the student was able to find the answer using algebra and the formula for calculating the area between curves.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

I get the answer 19/3 but the real answer is 343/3. Can you show work to how it is that? I did this many times and still came up with 19/3 instead

I got up to evaluating the integral part of finding the area between two curves but can never get the correct answer. I have a feeling I'm messing up signs somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you copied the problem correctly? I don't get either of your answers. It would be helpful for you to show what you did.

Yeah.

Let f(x) = 20 + X + X2

Let g(x) = X2-5X

Find the area of the region enclosed by the two graphs.

The graphs intersect at X = -2 and 5, so those are the bounds. F(x) is the upper curve.

So I take the definite integral of

[(20 + X - X^2) - (X^2-5X)dx] from [-2, 5]

The answer is 343/3, but I do not get that answer when I compute the integral at all

Chandasouk said:
Yeah.

Let f(x) = 20 + X + X2

Let g(x) = X2-5X

The graphs intersect at X = -2 and 5, so those are the bounds.
No, they intersect at only a single point, and it's not at either of those values of x.
f(-2) = 20 -2 + 4 = 22
g(-2) = 4 + 10 = 14

f(5) = 20 + 5 + 25 = 50
g(5) = 25 - 25 = 0

If you set 20 + x + x2 = x2 - 5x, notice that you can subtract x2 from both sides, leaving you with a linear equation - an equation that has only one solution.

I don't see that the two graphs enclose any region, so I don't know how you can do this problem. Are you sure you have all the information straight?
Chandasouk said:
F(x) is the upper curve.

So I take the definite integral of

[(20 + X - X^2) - (X^2-5X)dx] from [-2, 5]

The answer is 343/3, but I do not get that answer when I compute the integral at all

Chandasouk said:
Yeah.

Let f(x) = 20 + X + X2

Let g(x) = X2-5X

The expression posted in the thread title contains an x3 term, so this isn't even the same problem.

If you post the actual problem statement, exactly as it is written, that would be a big help.

The problem in my Calc book just statedLet f(x) = 20 + X - X^2

Let g(x) = X^2-5X

I set these two equal to each other

20 + X + X^2 = X^2-5X

Through Algebra, I found that

0 = 2X^2 - 6X -20

which factors to

2(X-5)(X+2)

Thus the curves intersect at X = -2 and X = 5. I made a mistake earlier saying that the graphs intersected at those two points; sorry.

f(x) is the upper curve. From there they just used used the formula for calculating the area between curves and obtained the answer 343/3 but i cannot work out the math to get that

Last edited:
Chandasouk said:
The problem in my Calc book just stated

Let f(x) = 20 + X + X^2

Let g(x) = X^2-5X

I set these two equal to each other

20 + X + X^2 = X^2-5X

Through Algebra, I found that

0 = 2X^2 - 6X -20
No, no, no! The two [itex]x^2[/itex] terms cancel they don't add!

which factors to

2(X-5)(X+2)

Thus the curves intersect at X = -2 and X = 5. I made a mistake earlier saying that the graphs intersected at those two points; sorry.

f(x) is the upper curve. From there they just used used the formula for calculating the area between curves and obtained the answer 343/3 but i cannot work out the math to get that

Aw damn, now I know why. Good catch. I wrote the equation for f(x) incorrectly. It was supposed to be

20 + X - X^2 not 2+ + X + X^2Now what I wrote before makes sense

Chandasouk said:

Homework Statement

I get the answer 19/3 but the real answer is 343/3. Can you show work to how it is that? I did this many times and still came up with 19/3 instead

I got up to evaluating the integral part of finding the area between two curves but can never get the correct answer. I have a feeling I'm messing up signs somewhere.

If you have trouble getting the right anti-derivative then you can always try to compare your result with one from http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=20x+++3x^2+-+(2/3)x^3&random=false

Chandasouk said:
Looks like you have set the integral up correctly. Can you show the rest of your work? I am getting 343/3 as well.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the accumulation of a function over a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has both an upper and lower limit.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating a definite integral?

Evaluating a definite integral allows us to find the exact numerical value of the area under a curve or the accumulation of a function, which can be useful in many real-world applications such as calculating distances, volumes, and probabilities.

3. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, we use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function f(x) from a to b is equal to the difference of the antiderivative of f(x) at b and a, or ∫ab f(x) dx = F(b) - F(a).

4. What is the function in this definite integral?

The function in this definite integral is 20x + 3x^2 - (2/3)x^3.

5. How do you solve this specific definite integral?

To solve this definite integral, we first find the antiderivative of the function, which is 10x^2 + x^3 - (1/9)x^4. Then, we substitute the upper and lower limits of -2 and 5 into the antiderivative and find the difference, resulting in a final value of 375.111.