Perpetual Motion Balls: Buy & Learn What You Need

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perpetual motion and the device known as "Newton's Cradle" or "Newton's Balls". The speaker suggests searching for suppliers of the device and mentions that it does not actually demonstrate perpetual motion as the balls eventually stop due to energy loss from factors such as air resistance and distortion during impact. The idea of testing the device in a vacuum is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about whether motion involving magnets can be considered perpetual if it remains consistent despite other variables.
justjoshus
What do you call and where can i buy the set of balls (maybe 4 or 5) suspended in strings and when the outermost ball hits the the next one and bounces off the last one on the other end and sets off perpetual motion? I surely appreciate any ones response. Thank you. Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do a search on "Newton's Cradle" or "Newton's Balls".

Hello justjoshus.You are describing "Newtons cradle" so try googling for suppliers.There is no such thing as perpetual motion and the balls in Newtons cradle stop eventually.

I wonder how long it'd go on in a vacuum. I'm guessing air resistance is by far the biggest source of losses.
I'm guessing it'd go on for a surprising amount of time. Anyone got a high vacuum to try it out in?

It would go on for longer in a vacuum but another major source of energy loss is due to the fact that during impact the balls get slightly distorted.

Dadface said:
It would go on for longer in a vacuum but another major source of energy loss is due to the fact that during impact the balls get slightly distorted.

Which generates heat and sound (which dissipates as heat).

if magnets are involved in any mechanism of motion but it kept the motion consistant from other variables is it still considered perpetual motion??

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion refers to the hypothetical concept of a machine or device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy input.

2. How do perpetual motion balls work?

Perpetual motion balls are designed to use the principles of magnetism and gravity to create continuous movement. The balls are made of strong, permanent magnets and placed in a track with strategically placed magnets to create an unending cycle of motion.

3. Are perpetual motion balls actually possible?

No, perpetual motion balls are not possible. The laws of physics, specifically the law of conservation of energy, dictate that perpetual motion is impossible to achieve. Any device claiming to be perpetual motion violates this fundamental law.

4. What are the benefits of purchasing and learning about perpetual motion balls?

Purchasing and learning about perpetual motion balls can be a fun and educational experience. It allows you to explore the principles of magnetism and gravity in a hands-on way and learn about the limitations of perpetual motion. Additionally, it can also serve as a unique conversation piece or desk toy.

5. Can perpetual motion balls be used for practical purposes?

No, perpetual motion balls cannot be used for practical purposes. As mentioned, they violate the law of conservation of energy and therefore cannot produce any usable energy. They are purely for entertainment and educational purposes.