Cat Speak, and other animal languages

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animal
In summary: I've never had a pet do that before.In summary, cats are often misunderstood as emotionless creatures, but they are actually very intelligent and have evolved body communication to express their needs. Blinking is a form of "kitty kissing" and a slow blink from a cat is a sign of affection and trust. Cats also communicate through trilling and head-bumping, and grooming each other is a sign of a strong bond. Human attempts at eye contact may not always be well received by cats, as they don't saccade like humans do and can find it unsettling. Overall, cats have a unique way of communicating and it takes a true cat lover to understand their language.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In honor of Danger's talking cat...

I have never seen the blinking thing discussed anywhere before. I've found this works not only with cats, but with dogs, and deer as well. But the blink rate is different depending on the animal. Integral has a dog that would go nuts if I gave her a slow blink...not sure what that was all about. Three other dogs also got all worked up by a slow blink, so it must mean something in Dog Speak. Fast blinks seem to be okay. :uhh:

I think most pet lovers get pretty good at reading their four-legged family members.

Because of cats long-standing as a creature intended to enhance human life, cats are sometimes relegated as a species which lack emotional life. This is a mistake. Cats are very intelligent animals that have evolved a series of body communications to purpose their needs. Close observation of the cat, as any cat lover might agree, will reveal rich levels of cats speak...

Blinking: If your cat blinks both eyes at once, consider yourself lucky as you have just been kitty kissed! You can also "kiss" your kitty too by catching your cat's eyes and blinking hard at it. Remember, one blink is quite sufficient, although you may try two! If your kitty returns the blink, then you have just been kissed back in the world of cats! Don't get upset if your kitty doesn't kiss you right away, because you might have suddenly surprised them with so much affection. Guaranteed your kitty will be kissing you once its adjusts to your lovin blinks...
http://hubpages.com/hub/Cats-Speak

Science news on Phys.org
Can a human win a stare down with a cat?

Loren Booda said:
Can a human win a stare down with a cat?

No. Even when you "win" in human terms -- meaning that the cat looks away -- you've "lost" in cat terms because now you've annoyed them and they can't be bothered with you any more. Dogs get defeated by eye contact. Cats get bored and walk away. It's a victory only if the other side knows they've been defeated. The cat's not defeated. Really, you gain nothing. :biggrin:

I've read about blinking as "cat kisses" before, Ivan. My cat and I make squooshy faces at each other fairly frequently. I don't know if that constitutes "kisses" exactly, but I do know that we're bonded. And I do know that she doesn't look away from me when I do it. Sometimes she even blinks back. Mostly she just stares at me with that inscrutable expression on her face. So, I liberally anthropomophise and believe that, in her mind she's thinking, "Okay, now what's the human up to?"

I wouldn't characterize it as blinking. They slowly close their eyes, and it looks more like they're either going to sleep or squinting depending on the situation

In terms of WWPD?, I wonder if there's any way to express the OP as a falsifiable statement.

My cat's intimate look reflects the "flattery" of her human's gaze.
GeorginaS said:
Even when you "win" in human terms -- meaning that the cat looks away -- you've "lost" in cat terms because now you've annoyed them and they can't be bothered with you any more. Dogs get defeated by eye contact. Cats get bored and walk away. It's a victory only if the other side knows they've been defeated. The cat's not defeated. Really, you gain nothing. :biggrin:

Kitty has a black mask which makes her a formidable poker player in low light.

Cats react oddly if your eyes exhibit the typical saccade patterns, if you notice, that is the source of the "predatory stare" which people find unsettling, cats don't do the small scanning eye movements.

[PLAIN]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs033.snc1/3237_1067004920090_1375060662_30193011_1071707_n.jpg [Broken]

They focus on a target... I know this because I also unsettle people if I try to exhibit eye contact. I don't saccade normally either, I assume it is due to AS in my case... but as they say: "all cats have Asperger's".

Another way to identify a compliment from a cat is when they trill or chirp at you, cats don't meow at other cats, they either yowl, or trill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schizophrenia-spectrum disorders display one of the few physical traits for that category of diseases -- the inability for eyes to track steadily.

Kitty doesn't seem to mind.

Loren Booda said:
My cat's intimate look reflects the "flattery" of her human's gaze.

That's gorgeous.

In addition to the "kissing" thing, of which I was unaware, a single slow blink is taken by a cat as an invitation such as to join you in your chair.

Prior to diagnosis with AS, I actually assumed I was a large housecat.

Cats make sense, humans seem insane.

Go figure.

Max™ said:
Another way to identify a compliment from a cat is when they trill or chirp at you, cats don't meow at other cats, they either yowl, or trill.

True. If you're around feral cats they won't attempt to communicate with you. Cats who live with you, and especially ones who are bonded with you, work at verbal communication.

Also, if a cat "head-bumps" you, or really especially, if a cat licks you. If your cat licks you, they're all about the relationship with you. Grooming each other is a big deal in cat world.

georginas said:
my cat and i make squooshy faces at each other fairly frequently.

tmi! Tmi! :biggrin:

Us cat owners are pathetic.

Ivan Seeking said:
tmi! Tmi! :biggrin:

Us cat owners are pathetic.

No joke.

GeorginaS said:
Also, if a cat "head-bumps" you, or really especially, if a cat licks you. If your cat licks you, they're all about the relationship with you. Grooming each other is a big deal in cat world.

Mine instigated a form of "mutual grooming" which I haven't encountered with any of my previous pets. You know how a cat licks its dew-claw, and then uses it to comb its forehead. Lucy licks the web between my thumb and index finger, then shoves her head into position for me to rub it.

GeorginaS said:
True. If you're around feral cats they won't attempt to communicate with you. Cats who live with you, and especially ones who are bonded with you, work at verbal communication.

Isaac was a total head bump kitty.

As a bonding ritual, I make a point to groom our cats, but it takes hours to get the hair off of my tongue.

GeorginaS said:
No joke.

Ever since we got Little Tyke, because we got her so young, and because she's so small, we've informally adopted the habbit of calling her "Baby" [as in "cute little baby", not "oh baby, oh baby!" :biggrin:]. As she got older and started getting into trouble, I ended up with "You are an eeeeeeeeevil little baby! Eeeeeeeeeevil Baby!".

Cracks Tsu up every time. It reminds me of Letterman's list of ten things you never thought you'd say. Course Little Tyke just twitches her tail and squints at me now when I say it.

I'm a cat-lover with allergies.

Drives my friends bonkers (all of whom seem to have cats) because they know I'm allergic and get all upset when their cats are all over me. I am always saying "If I wanted your cats to leave me alone, I probably wouldn't be following them all over your house trying to pet them, now would I?"

Question: Cats love to have their cheeks stroked. I know they have their scent glands where their whiskers are, and this is a big part of the stroking thing for them.

But it always seems like they are moving their heads so that I'll scritch them behind the head or their ears. But if I scritch their ears too much, they shake it off and want me to stop. It always seems like they're trying to maneuver into just the right psotion so I'll scritch the right spot and I never quite seem to get it right.

What's the secret?

Feline feedback.

I'd say that (really depending on how you're doing it, but I've seen the maneuvering you're talking about, Dave) it might not be so much the "where" as the "how". The scritching need not be big movements. Actually, the smaller the area covered the better. It seems to have quite a bit to do with the length of fingernails involved and one's ability to hit just the right spot and remain precisely there until you've created a mat of their fur. Really.

I've been holding my little girlie (yeah, I know) with one hand under one back foot and the other hand scritching behind an ear and felt the toes of her foot curl around my fingers. And she gets squooshy face. I have medium-length nails that both dogs and cats seem to appreciate. But find the sweet spot and stay there.

That method seems to work with dogs too, but dogs are really demanding and aggressive. The moment you stop, they think nothing of whacking your arm with their nose to get you to continue. They're pushy.

Other cat language that a lot of people aren't familiar with is the scratching/clawing thing. Cats have scent glands in their feet, too, so when they claw things, they're marking territory. A lot of people think that cats are just destructive of their favourite stuff. Not so.

The very first thing my little cat, Bean, does when entering new territory is claw the carpet. She's finally satisfied with her marking outside of my condo door that when we go for walks in the hallway, she no longer claws the carpet. But that used to be her opening move the moment we stepped out the door. I'm convinced that she believes the whole building is her home, because any other door that opens is an invitation for her to enter. And the first thing she does? Claw someone's carpet. Jeez.

Anyone who's watched her do it (before I see her and run in and grab her) inevitably remarks, "Oh, she's sharpening her claws". Um, no. She's just let you know that your apartment is her territory. She's such a sweet little cat, but really, she's very aggressive in terms of cat language. In people language, she's just adorable, if a bit of a pain with the carpet initially.

The thing I love about my cat is you can stroke her for 37 minutes, and she'll be purring like a rusty clock, but on the 38th she looks at you and stops purring as if to say "Enough." Then just walks off.

such a great personality. It's interesting reading some of the things people have posted, i'll have to try deliberately blinking at her!

Chewy0087 said:
The thing I love about my cat is you can stroke her for 37 minutes, and she'll be purring like a rusty clock, but on the 38th she looks at you and stops purring as if to say "Enough." Then just walks off.

My neighbour's cat was like that.

Except replace "37 minutes" with "1 minute".

And replace "Enough." with "viciously try to rip your arm off at the elbow with a full-on teeth and claw attack, blood and all".

And I don't mean in a cute way, and I don't mean she was telegraphing her displeasure. She would go from happy to trying to rip your arm off in a heartbeat.

When the cat did this to her owner's head (while she was asleep in the middle of the night), that was it for the cat...

Georgina,
Cats have scent glands in their feet, too, so when they claw things, they're marking territory. A lot of people think that cats are just destructive of their favourite stuff. Not so.

I always thought it was to get my attention, didn't realize it was to scent mark her territory, because my cat will be looking at you as if to say, Na -na -na -na -na -na -na, look at me, almost daring you to yell at her to stop.

She has scratching posts and still looks to me expecting to be yelled at, not realizing furniture is taboo and cat scratch toys are acceptable. She seems puzzled when I don't yell when she is going to town on the cat scratching post.

Thanks for filling me in...

Rhody... cat scratch fever...

This is one that cracks me up

Turning its back to you: You cat is mad at you. Cats tend to do this also if you have gone away on vacation. They feel they missed you too much and you have put them through an emotional rollercoaster. Don't worry. This should end in a day or two. Your cat soon won't be able to resist your lovin'!

And cats get very jealous of each other. I have to be careful to balance the attention between our cats or one is sure to get mad. If Jack [young male cat] gets mad he'll attack one of the females and try to run her outside.

Who here has gotten the cold shoulder after a trip? Dogs come running when the master has been gone. Cats try to teach us a lesson - Don't do that again! :biggrin: It always took a few hours before Einstein would come to me after I'd been gone. If I tried to show him attention, he'd walk away or sit across the room with his back to me.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
or sit across the room with his back to me.

I have always been under the impression that a cat sitting with its back to you is actually a compliment/invitation.

DaveC426913 said:
I have always been under the impression that a cat sitting with its back to you is actually a compliment/invitation.

What is described in the article is consistent with my own observations. Obviously one has to be always be careful not to anthropomorphise too much, but after thirty years or so of servitude to cats, some cat behaviors seem to be common to all or most cats.

I used to be amazed by how much animals can act like humans. Then I realized this was nothing but anthropocentric bias. They are often like us because we too are animals. We are like them.

DaveC426913 said:

Thats the more, look at you, then turn and walk away = please come hither...and get me some tasty treats.

When Jack wants attention, he yells at you until he gets it. He wants to be picked up and given some lovin, and he will settle for nothing less! Zooby does the same thing but she only requires an acknowledgment. As long as one of us says, "hi Zooby", she stops meowing and then eats.

Ivan Seeking said:
Who here has gotten the cold shoulder after a trip?

Ivan,

Depends on the length of the trip, and how much attention the cats gets by the cat sitter while away, last trip, 10 days, she just keep meowing (real loud) walked between our legs, and for two days would not leave your side, would sit where you were, and kept rubbing against your leg, and slept right next to you, but only for a couple of days.

On another trip, more time 14 days this time, she pretended not to care and seemed to not know fully who we were. Maybe she had"unlearned" some of her memory of us. She eventually came around though. The same cat sitter was here that time as well. Don't know how to explain it.

Rhody...

The first time you were gone, you scared her, so she was glad to see you. The second time, she knew you were coming back, so she was mad. :biggrin:

We were both gone for three weeks once. I do seem to recall that the cats were hesitant for a time when we got back, as if they weren't sure who we were for a time.

Last edited:
rhody said:
Georgina,

I always thought it was to get my attention, didn't realize it was to scent mark her territory, because my cat will be looking at you as if to say, Na -na -na -na -na -na -na, look at me, almost daring you to yell at her to stop.

She has scratching posts and still looks to me expecting to be yelled at, not realizing furniture is taboo and cat scratch toys are acceptable. She seems puzzled when I don't yell when she is going to town on the cat scratching post.

Thanks for filling me in...

Rhody... cat scratch fever...

Georgina,

One thing I forgot to mention, they scratch (in part) to sharpen their claws, for climbing, defense (if necessary). I know a few people who declaw their cats, and I can't speak for their situation, but I find it cruel, they are defenseless without claws. I would try absolutely everything, and if nothing worked I may have to give up the cat for adoption. It has never happened, though. Maybe I have been lucky, all my cats came from normal (not abused) environments.

Rhody...

rhody said:
I know a few people who declaw their cats, and I can't speak for their situation, but I find it cruel, they are defenseless without claws.
Defenseless - from what exactly?

Declawing tends to go hand-in-hand with housecats. No one declaws outdoor cats.

Also, cats, when in a real fight, tend to make excellent use of their rear claws, which are rarely declawed. (They use them to rake the belly - and ideally, genitals - of their opponent. That's why cats roll on their backs in a fight.)

DaveC426913 said:

Also, cats, when in a real fight, tend to make excellent use of their rear claws, which are rarely declawed. (They use them to rake the belly - and ideally, genitals - of their opponent. That's why cats roll on their backs in a fight.)

I don't believe in declawing anymore.

If you are considering declawing your cat, please read this. It will only take a moment, and it will give you valuable information to help you in your decision.

First, you should know that declawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude...
http://www.declawing.com/

DaveC426913 said:

Actually, people do declaw cats and let them outdoors, Dave. (Personally, I want to beat the stuffing out of people who torture cats by declawing them, but that's a different thread.)

Yes, when cats flop over on their side when playing/fighting with another cat, it's so they can deploy their back-feet claws on their opponent's soft underside. Very true. (Unlike dogs who, when they flop over on their side and expose their belly are surrendering. Same move, very different language between cats dogs.)

But when upright, they depend almost entirely on their front paw claws to whack at their opponents. Their front claws are unequivocally imperative as part of their defense system.

And yes, Rhody, they do sharpen their claws too when clawing stuff. True. And they also provide visual information to territory marking too. That's why they tend to claw up the sides of scratching posts and the corners of sofas and, some cats (I had one who did this) liked to claw door frames in the house. If you watch them, you'll notice that they often reach up as high as they can to start scratching. I've read some cat behaviour specialists claim that that's a warning/announcement to anyone who comes into the cat's territory to be able to see that a large, powerful cat lives there.

Clawing territory is important behaviour for cats. It's surprisingly easy to redirect and restrict their clawing to one or two objects in the house that you can own specifically for the purpose. Given an appropriate outlet for the expression, cats don't ruin other objects in the house and declawing is not ever necessary.

GeorginaS said:
If you watch them, you'll notice that they often reach up as high as they can to start scratching. I've read some cat behaviour specialists claim that that's a warning/announcement to anyone who comes into the cat's territory to be able to see that a large, powerful cat lives there.

Georgina,

Deer and Bear do this during rut and mating season as well, I have seen the results in the woods. High marks in trees is a good sign a large buck or bear made them. Used to hunt (not any more) with Dad as a kid and he would point them out to me.

Rhody...

<H2>1. What is "Cat Speak" and how does it differ from other animal languages?</H2><p>"Cat Speak" is a term used to describe the communication methods of cats. It differs from other animal languages in that it is specific to cats and is not shared by other animals. Cats use a combination of vocalizations, body language, and scents to communicate with each other and with humans.</p><H2>2. Can humans learn to understand and speak "Cat Speak"?</H2><p>While it is not possible to learn to speak "Cat Speak" fluently, humans can learn to understand some of the vocalizations and body language used by cats. This can help improve communication and strengthen the bond between humans and cats.</p><H2>3. Do all cats use the same "Cat Speak" or does it vary among different breeds?</H2><p>While there are certain universal vocalizations and body language cues that most cats use, there can be slight variations among different breeds. For example, some breeds may be more vocal than others, or use different body language to convey certain messages. Overall, however, "Cat Speak" is consistent among all cats.</p><H2>4. Is "Cat Speak" a learned behavior or instinctual for cats?</H2><p>"Cat Speak" is a combination of both learned behavior and instinctual communication. While some vocalizations and body language are instinctual and used by all cats, others are learned through interactions with other cats and humans. For example, a cat may learn to meow in a certain way to get attention from their owner.</p><H2>5. How important is "Cat Speak" in the social dynamics of cats?</H2><p>"Cat Speak" is incredibly important in the social dynamics of cats. It allows them to communicate with other cats, establish hierarchies, and express their needs and emotions. It also plays a role in the relationship between cats and their human companions, as understanding and responding to their communication can strengthen the bond between them.</p>

1. What is "Cat Speak" and how does it differ from other animal languages?

"Cat Speak" is a term used to describe the communication methods of cats. It differs from other animal languages in that it is specific to cats and is not shared by other animals. Cats use a combination of vocalizations, body language, and scents to communicate with each other and with humans.

2. Can humans learn to understand and speak "Cat Speak"?

While it is not possible to learn to speak "Cat Speak" fluently, humans can learn to understand some of the vocalizations and body language used by cats. This can help improve communication and strengthen the bond between humans and cats.

3. Do all cats use the same "Cat Speak" or does it vary among different breeds?

While there are certain universal vocalizations and body language cues that most cats use, there can be slight variations among different breeds. For example, some breeds may be more vocal than others, or use different body language to convey certain messages. Overall, however, "Cat Speak" is consistent among all cats.

4. Is "Cat Speak" a learned behavior or instinctual for cats?

"Cat Speak" is a combination of both learned behavior and instinctual communication. While some vocalizations and body language are instinctual and used by all cats, others are learned through interactions with other cats and humans. For example, a cat may learn to meow in a certain way to get attention from their owner.

5. How important is "Cat Speak" in the social dynamics of cats?

"Cat Speak" is incredibly important in the social dynamics of cats. It allows them to communicate with other cats, establish hierarchies, and express their needs and emotions. It also plays a role in the relationship between cats and their human companions, as understanding and responding to their communication can strengthen the bond between them.