How can I help a student achieve an A in my college physics course?

In summary, Gamma, a student can get an A in this course if they ace the remaining tasks and the finals. However, the class average and median scores are important to consider when making a decision about granting an A.
Gamma
I teach the algebra based introductory physics course at a college. I have less than 10 students. I covered 8 chapters in 15 weeks (I was supposed to cover 9, but could not reach it). So, obviously it is hard for my students. One of my students tells me that she accepts/wants an A in this course and wants to know how she can achieve this goal. With only 2 weeks left, I really feel like I can not do much now. She has to score perfectly to get an A in the few remaining tasks and the finals, and that won't happen. Do you have any suggestions? She had a very low score on one of her earlier assignments and I could ask her to redo it (that won't be fare to others)? I could give an extra credit assignment, but it is kind of late to assign one now.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

GAMMA

Science news on Phys.org
Have you spoken to other members of your department?

In my experience, the subject of assigning grades is not openly discussed. Partly, I think, this is in consideration of the autonomy an instructor has when running their class. However, you should find out if there are any departmental guidelines.

That said, I must caution you not to treat any student differently than any other. for example, giving her a make-up assignment without making that option available to *every* student is a recipe for disaster.

When a student appears just prior to the final exam- a student that has not made use of office hours etc. during the course- I try to encourage them not to panic, to do their best, and leave it at that. Students will cry, beg, plead, and insist that their life will end if they do not get an 'A'. Ignore it, and make sure your office door is always open.

Andy,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will follow your advice when talking to this student tomorrow.

Gamma.

You say she can get the A if she aces the remaining stuff. I don't think she can expect better news.

Last edited:
Also: I also like to look at my overall numbers for the entire course: What is the class average and median scores (in categories such as homework, tests, overall)? Are you giving any A's?

While looking at the class stats makes more sense for large enrollment classes, it's still good information to have and possibly present to a student looking for some reprieve at the end of a term... I try to remind them that exams CAN make a difference (and remind them of the weighting of the final) but that the course grading still reflects overall course performance throughout the term.

What is the purpose of grading college courses?

The purpose of grading college courses is to assess students' understanding and performance in a particular subject or course. It helps to determine the level of knowledge and skills a student has acquired and provides feedback for improvement.

What is the grading scale used in college courses?

The grading scale used in college courses varies, but it typically ranges from A (excellent) to F (failing). Some courses may also use a plus/minus system, such as A-, B+, etc. The specific grading scale is usually outlined in the course syllabus.

How are grades calculated in college courses?

Grades in college courses are typically calculated based on a combination of assignments, exams, quizzes, and other assessments. The weight of each assignment or assessment may vary, and the final grade is usually determined by the overall percentage of points earned.

What is the role of attendance in grading college courses?

Attendance may be a factor in grading college courses, but it ultimately depends on the instructor and the course. Some courses may have a strict attendance policy, while others may not consider attendance in the final grade. It is important to check the course syllabus for the attendance policy.

What happens if a student disagrees with their grade in a college course?

If a student disagrees with their grade in a college course, they should first discuss it with the instructor. The student can ask for clarification on how the grade was determined and provide any relevant information that may have been overlooked. If the issue cannot be resolved with the instructor, the student can then appeal to the department or university administration.