Calculating modulus of elasticity?

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the modulus of elasticity for a board clamped at one end and free-floating on the other, using data such as deflection measurements and dimensions of the board. The equation for calculating deflection is given as δ=PL^3/3EI, with I being the second moment of area. The conversation also includes a discussion on the variables used in the equation, such as force applied, length, elasticity modulus, and inertia moment. The conversation ends with a clarification on the variables used for a rectangular section.
tobyrzepka
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the modulus of elasticity for a board clamped to a surface plate at one end and free-floating on the other. I've measured the deflection with a 1k weight at the free end of the board. So I've got that data as well as the dimensions of the free-hanging portion of the board.

I've done this test with numerous boards of different thicknesses and dimensions and want to compare them in terms of stiffness.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi tobyrzepka, welcome to PF. Try a search for "beam bending equations" to find the deflection vs. Young's modulus for a number of different boundary conditions. For the case of a cantilevered beam (clamped at one end, transverse load on the other), the deflection is [itex]\delta=PL^3/3EI[/itex], where [itex]I=wt^3/12[/itex] is the second moment of area. Does this answer your question?

Like Mapes stated correctly, δ=F*L^3 / 3E*I

Since you measured deflection you can solve as E (elasticity modulus) and you'll have it.

E=I*F*L^3 / 3δ

F = Force applied (1kg as you mentioned)
L = Length (Length of each board)
E = Elasticity modulus (You will do the math)
I = Inertia moment (b*h^3)/12 where h=width of board and h=height (thickness)
δ= Deflection (As you measured)

I hope that helped

So you said :

I assume you meant b = width of the board, and h = height... is that right?

polymerou said:
Like Mapes stated correctly, δ=F*L^3 / 3E*I

Since you measured deflection you can solve as E (elasticity modulus) and you'll have it.

E=I*F*L^3 / 3δ

F = Force applied (1kg as you mentioned)
L = Length (Length of each board)
E = Elasticity modulus (You will do the math)
δ= Deflection (As you measured)

I hope that helped

b=width, h=depth/height

for a rectangular section I =(b.h^3)/12

Likes mohamed hassan

What is modulus of elasticity and why is it important?

Modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of a material's stiffness or its resistance to deformation when subjected to stress. It is an important property to consider when designing structures or selecting materials for specific applications.

How is modulus of elasticity calculated?

Modulus of elasticity is calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length per unit length) of a material. This is typically done using the formula E = σ/ε, where E represents modulus of elasticity, σ represents stress, and ε represents strain.

What factors can affect the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of elasticity can be affected by various factors, such as material composition, temperature, and loading conditions. Different materials have different inherent stiffnesses, and changes in temperature can cause variations in the modulus of elasticity. Additionally, the way a material is loaded or stressed can also impact its modulus of elasticity.

What are the units of modulus of elasticity?

Modulus of elasticity is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). However, it can also be expressed in other units, such as megapascals (MPa) or gigapascals (GPa).

How is modulus of elasticity used in real-world applications?

The modulus of elasticity is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as engineering, construction, and material science. It helps determine the appropriate materials to use for different structures, such as buildings, bridges, and airplanes, to ensure they can withstand the necessary stresses and strains. It is also used in quality control to ensure that materials meet the required standards of stiffness and durability.