Pictures of electron etc orbits

In summary: You then state that it's impossible to answer the question without knowing more about the construction of the bubble chamber and associated photographic apparatus. You then ask for the minimum and maximum values regarding the bubble chamber photograph. You state that the circles are actually spirals, and that the scale is much larger than a classical Newtonian electron orbits. You also state that the distance from the lens won't tell you anything. You then ask for the size of the bubbles and the spirals.
luckis11
Pictures of "electron etc orbits"

http://www.sciencephoto.com/images/download_lo_res.html?id=651380013

Are they photographs and the "orbits" happened at some distance form the lens? Then, how much is that distance?

What are the actual sizes of these shapings? I.e. how many milimetres is the length and the diametre of each (line on photo)->(cylinder out there that happened)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

luckis11 said:
Are they photographs and the "orbits" happened at some distance form the lens?

Yes.

Then, how much is that distance?

What are the actual sizes of these shapings? I.e. how many milimetres is the length and the diametre of each (line on photo)->(cylinder out there that happened)?

It's impossible to answer these questions without knowing the construction details of this specific bubble chamber and its associated photographic apparatus.

OK, impossible, but what could they be the minimum and maximum values regarding this photo?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_chamber

So, what is actually photographed as a white line (which is supposed to be the orbit of an electron), is a cluster of bubbles, which radiated light because the atoms of the bubbles got ionised? (It doesn't make much sense what I just said, but am asking for the exact description).

Last edited:

luckis11 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_chamber

So, what is actually photographed as a white line (which is supposed to be the orbit of an electron), is a cluster of bubbles, which radiated light because the atoms of the bubbles got ionised? (It doesn't make much sense what I just said, but am asking for the exact description).

That's pretty close. The tight circles are actually spirals, if you look at them closely. They are not 'orbits', and the scale is much larger than even a classical Newtonian electron orbits, if that's what you suspect. The circularity comes from their motion within an intense magnetic field, perpedicular to their motion. The spiral comes from their losing energy to the fluid. They may also be losing energy by light-radiation losses: they are giving off radiation because they are curving. So they spiral inward. They no longer have the speed to travel in a wider arc, the magnetism is constant, so they go in tighter and tighter arcs. The spirals are beautifully rounded because the electron is losing energy average-wise very consistently from point to point.

They are not orbiting anything. They are just getting tired and running out of gas.

That's not what I asked. I asked what what was photographed as white line. Light which was radiated by ionised atoms? Then what do the clusters of bubbles have to do with that?

luckis11 said:
That's not what I asked. I asked what what was photographed as white line. Light which was radiated by ionised atoms? Then what do the clusters of bubbles have to do with that?

No. not light radiated from ionized atoms. The tiny bubbles reflect light from the surrounding light. They are little different from the lines of bubbles coming up from the bottom of a glass of 7-up, except they go in a spiral direction, and are produced by the ionizing trail of the electrons, going the way I described previously.

The distance from the lens won't tell you anything: it could be one metre, or 10, depending on whether a simple lens, or tele-micrographic setup is used. The latter would produce the least image distortion. As for the exact size of everything, you would have to email the researchers.

Are you sure they use a lens? The don't mention anything about any lens in the detailed experimental setups that I have read.

luckis11 said:
Are you sure they use a lens? The don't mention anything about any lens in the detailed experimental setups that I have read.

I'm as sure as you are.

The post started with 'the lens' as a given.

1. What are electron orbits?

Electron orbits are the paths that electrons follow around the nucleus of an atom. They are often depicted as circular or elliptical in shape, but in reality, they are more complex and can take on various shapes.

2. How are electron orbits determined?

The determination of electron orbits is based on the laws of quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the energy and momentum of the electron and describes the probability of finding the electron in a specific location around the nucleus.

3. Can electron orbits change?

Yes, electron orbits can change. This is known as electron excitation or de-excitation. When an electron gains or loses energy, it can move to a higher or lower energy level, respectively, and therefore change its orbit around the nucleus.

4. How many electron orbits are there in an atom?

The number of electron orbits in an atom depends on the atom's atomic number and the configuration of its electrons. Generally, the number of electron orbits is equal to the atom's period in the periodic table. For example, atoms in period 1 have one electron orbit, while atoms in period 2 have two electron orbits.

5. Why do electrons stay in their orbits?

Electrons stay in their orbits due to the attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electrons. This force is known as the electrostatic force and keeps the electrons in orbit around the nucleus. Additionally, the laws of quantum mechanics also play a role in determining the stability of electron orbits.