Favorite Element Poll - Einsteinium, Seaborgium, Lawrencium, Fermium, Uranium

In summary: I like vanadium because it is strong and has a nice blue hue.Not for more than about 20 elements at a time.tin! :tongue2:It's short for tinytimium! :smile:Not element 5 anyway, because that's just boron :wink:BEST PUN EVER. But you better check yourself. Some scientists theorize that some forms of good ol' number 5 could be harder than diamond...I love boron. Did you know boride is "borek" in Polish?Yes, I did know that. Borek has something to do with your name too right? For my part it's iron and then titanium.
beatlemaniacj
Ok what is your favorite element? My list includes einsteinium, seaborgium, lawrencium, fermium, and uranium. First four because they bear the name of my favorite scientists. Uranium because it is so versatile.

Physics news on Phys.org
Iron for sure woo hoo iron!

Oh and i think you can set this up as an actual poll (voting).

nitsuj said:
Iron for sure woo hoo iron!

Oh and i think you can set this up as an actual poll (voting).

Not for more than about 20 elements at a time.

tin! :tongue2:

it's short for tinytimium! :smile:

Not element 5 anyway, because that's just boron :wink:

BEST PUN EVER. But you better check yourself. Some scientists theorize that some forms of good ol' number 5 could be harder than diamond...

I love boron. Did you know boride is "borek" in Polish?

magnesium for the light they product when burnt

Cobalt and potassium, mainly because I like they re colour :P

Carbon? No one?

Kevin_Axion said:
Carbon? No one?

I go for carbon!

Kevin_Axion said:
Carbon? No one?

Carbon is a whore.

Differential!

Actually, I do have a favorite: Hydrogen. How can anyone not love hydrogen?

Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Silicon, and Nitrogen.

But my all time favorite is an alkali(fictitious):

Cesiumfrancolithicmyxialobidiumrixydixydoxidexidroxhide :biggrin:

Guess where this element originated from :P

British Sci-fi comedy

My favorite is phosphorus, the Devil's element. Originally discovered by alchemists in search of a philosopher's stone, it was once thought to have magical properties because of its ability to spontaneously glow in the dark (ironically through chemiluminescence, not phosphorescence). It, of course, plays many important roles in biology and, despite what a recent NASA study may suggest, is almost certainly essential for life on Earth.

My favorite is Pentium.

fluidistic said:
Borek has something to do with your name too right?

Yes. It was long after I was dubbed Borek by my school colleagues that I have learned about the chemical connotations.

I second carbon. Essentially the only element in diamonds.

beatlemaniacj said:
Ok what is your favorite element? My list includes einsteinium, seaborgium, lawrencium, fermium, and uranium. First four because they bear the name of my favorite scientists. Uranium because it is so versatile.
Iridium. No explanation necessary. Where's the poll?

My favorite combination of elements is

[itex]BaNa_2[/itex]

banana

---------------------------------------

Edit:

Another favorite combination for me is

HIJKLMNO

[itex]H_2O[/itex]

Last edited:
Where are all these strange names coming from?I thought there were only four elements,earth,fire,air and that other stuff.:smile:

Dadface said:
Where are all these strange names coming from?I thought there were only four elements,earth,fire,air and that other stuff.:smile:

It's "Earth, Wind, & Fire," and it was formed in 1971.

Obviously elements like Lawrenceium Einsteinium Seaborgium and Fermium are not practical. I like Sulfur, uranium, and yes hydrogen. Plus all the actinades

Dadface said:

Earth, Air, Water, Fire? lol...

Mercury is pretty cool, it's a metal but it's liquid! Oh man! I would have so much fun with a bucket of mercury if it weren't toxic.

Carbon is a really functionally dynamic one (possibly involved in some of the most complex interactions in the universe).

For name, I always like molybdenum, which is made into technetium99 for nuclear medicine.

Tom Lehrer - The element song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFIvXVMbII0

I'm partial to the refractory metals, W, Re, Hf, Ta, Mo, Nb.

Helium, the noblist element of all!

Loren Booda said:
Helium, the noblist element of all!

nobler than Neon??

I liked unununium (element 111) before it was renamed to roentgenium.

Hipster geologist liked unununium before it was roentgenium

And it very versatile. Pencils charcoal coal etc.

<h2>1. What are the properties of Einsteinium?</h2><p>Einsteinium is a synthetic element with the atomic number 99 and symbol Es. It is highly radioactive and has a half-life of only 471 days. It is a silvery-white metal and is part of the actinide series on the periodic table.</p><h2>2. How was Seaborgium discovered?</h2><p>Seaborgium, with the atomic number 106 and symbol Sg, was first synthesized in 1974 by a team of scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California. They bombarded a californium-249 target with oxygen-18 ions to produce seaborgium-263.</p><h2>3. What are the uses of Lawrencium?</h2><p>Lawrencium, with the atomic number 103 and symbol Lr, is a highly radioactive element that is primarily used for scientific research. It has no commercial or industrial applications due to its short half-life of only 27 seconds.</p><h2>4. How does Fermium get its name?</h2><p>Fermium, with the atomic number 100 and symbol Fm, is named after the famous physicist Enrico Fermi. It was first synthesized in 1952 by a team of scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, who named it after Fermi in honor of his contributions to nuclear physics.</p><h2>5. What are the dangers of Uranium?</h2><p>Uranium, with the atomic number 92 and symbol U, is a naturally occurring element that is highly toxic and radioactive. Exposure to high levels of uranium can cause damage to the kidneys, liver, and central nervous system. It is also a major component in nuclear weapons and power plants, making it a potential threat to human health and the environment.</p>

1. What are the properties of Einsteinium?

Einsteinium is a synthetic element with the atomic number 99 and symbol Es. It is highly radioactive and has a half-life of only 471 days. It is a silvery-white metal and is part of the actinide series on the periodic table.

2. How was Seaborgium discovered?

Seaborgium, with the atomic number 106 and symbol Sg, was first synthesized in 1974 by a team of scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California. They bombarded a californium-249 target with oxygen-18 ions to produce seaborgium-263.

3. What are the uses of Lawrencium?

Lawrencium, with the atomic number 103 and symbol Lr, is a highly radioactive element that is primarily used for scientific research. It has no commercial or industrial applications due to its short half-life of only 27 seconds.

4. How does Fermium get its name?

Fermium, with the atomic number 100 and symbol Fm, is named after the famous physicist Enrico Fermi. It was first synthesized in 1952 by a team of scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, who named it after Fermi in honor of his contributions to nuclear physics.

5. What are the dangers of Uranium?

Uranium, with the atomic number 92 and symbol U, is a naturally occurring element that is highly toxic and radioactive. Exposure to high levels of uranium can cause damage to the kidneys, liver, and central nervous system. It is also a major component in nuclear weapons and power plants, making it a potential threat to human health and the environment.