Does how black holes inside galaxies orbit around the central black hole tell us

In summary, the orbital velocity of black holes can tell us the sum of their masses and we can find the mass of one if we know the mass of the other. The gravitational pull of black holes is no different from that of stars, and if the sun were replaced with a black hole, the Earth would continue to orbit as before. The large-scale structure of galaxies may involve other factors such as supernova explosions and solar wind pressure, but the effect of black holes is crucial for galaxy formation. The infinite density of black holes may seem concerning, but it is actually important for their role in galaxy formation.
fellupahill
Does how black holes inside galaxies orbit around the central black hole tell us anything useful? Could be my noobness, but the idea of a bunch of black holes orbiting a central black hole just seems messy. ha. Have we got the jist of what would happen if a black hole ate another black hole? if another black hole grew larger than the central one in our galaxy? or can we explain most other black hole on black hole interactions??Black hole on black hole. New type of fetish.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

The orbital velocity can tell us the sum of the masses of the two black holes. If we already know the mass of one of them and if the masses are not too disparate, we can find the mass of the other.

fellupahill said:
Does how black holes inside galaxies orbit around the central black hole tell us anything useful? Could be my noobness, but the idea of a bunch of black holes orbiting a central black hole just seems messy. ha. Have we got the jist of what would happen if a black hole ate another black hole? if another black hole grew larger than the central one in our galaxy? or can we explain most other black hole on black hole interactions??Black hole on black hole. New type of fetish.

Gravitationally, black holes are no different than any other massive object such as a star. If the sun were replaced with a black hole of similar mass, Earth happily continue orbiting without knowing the difference.

You could replace each star in the galaxy one by one with a black hole of the same mass and they would continue to orbit as before.

fellupahill said:
Does how black holes inside galaxies orbit around the central black hole tell us anything useful? Could be my noobness, but the idea of a bunch of black holes orbiting a central black hole just seems messy. ha.

Why?

fellupahill said:
Have we got the jist of what would happen if a black hole ate another black hole? if another black hole grew larger than the central one in our galaxy? or can we explain most other black hole on black hole interactions??

yes, yes and yes

You could replace each star in the galaxy one by one with a black hole of the same mass and they would continue to orbit as before.
Terrifying picture :).

But isn't it that the large-scale galaxy structure depends on something more than gravity? I.e. the spiral arms are somehow stabilized by supernova explosions. We can't also deny the solar wind pressure in large scale.

haael said:

But isn't it that the large-scale galaxy structure depends on something more than gravity? I.e. the spiral arms are somehow stabilized by supernova explosions. We can't also deny the solar wind pressure in large scale.

source?
That seems interesting.

Why
Infinite density doesn't seem nice. Could be my lack of mathematical understanding but if the amount of gravity an object has is dependent on its mass. And density is dependent on mass&volume, then black holes would seem to a layman(atleast this one) to not follow the same rules as stars which do not have infinite density. To me that black holes would tear up the space around them, destroying the structure of the galaxy. In actuallity tho, I guess I am right but only slightly. atleast from my point of view after reading more into black holes, they do effect the space around them. But that effect is crucial to galaxy formation, Not its distruction.(atleast in the sense that I was talking about)

Last edited:

haael said:

we can't? I thought that stellar wind drops off so steeply due to 1/r2 that compared to the distances between stars, it would be irrelevant. Or at least I've never heard any of my professors bring this up as an important concept, nor have I read of stellar wind pressure being important on galactic scales.

I may just be wrong though, I'm not a part of the astrophysics community so it is very likely that I could be unaware of that kind of idea.

haael said:

I'm not suggesting literally the galaxy would happily go on about its business indefinitely. All I'm trying to get across is that, from a distance, the gravitational pull of a black hole is no different from that of a star of the same mass. Gravitationally, you can interchange them.

I knew what you were talking about. Very clarifying, my bad for not saying so sooner
:)

1. What is the significance of studying the orbit of black holes inside galaxies?

Studying the orbit of black holes inside galaxies can provide valuable insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies. It can also help us understand the relationship between supermassive black holes and their host galaxies.

2. How do we measure the orbit of black holes inside galaxies?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the orbit of black holes inside galaxies, including tracking the movement of stars and gas near the black hole and analyzing the gravitational effects on surrounding objects.

3. Can the orbit of black holes inside galaxies change over time?

Yes, the orbit of a black hole inside a galaxy can change over time due to interactions with other objects or external forces such as gravitational waves. These changes can provide clues about the history and dynamics of the galaxy.

4. Can the orbit of black holes inside galaxies be used to determine the mass of the black hole?

Yes, by studying the orbit of objects around a black hole, scientists can calculate the mass of the black hole. This is known as the orbital method and is one of the most accurate ways to measure the mass of a black hole.

5. How does the orbit of a black hole inside a galaxy affect the surrounding environment?

The orbit of a black hole inside a galaxy can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment. It can influence the movement of stars and gas, and can also affect the growth and evolution of the galaxy itself through processes such as accretion and feedback.