Is the bracket of graded derivations a natural graded derivation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of an assertion in Jeffrey M. Lee's book "Manifolds and differential geometry". The assertion states that if \mathcal{D}_1, \mathcal{D}_2 are (natural) graded derivations of degrees r_1,r_2 respectively, then the operator [\mathcal{D}_1,\mathcal{D}_2] := \mathcal{D}_1 \circ \mathcal{D}_2 - (-1)^{r_1 r_2} \mathcal{D}_2 \circ \mathcal{D}_1 is a natural graded derivation of degree r_1+r_2. The conversation also mentions difficulties in proving property
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I want to prove the next assertion in Jeffrey M. Lee's Manifolds and differential geometry.
If [itex]\mathcal{D}_1, \mathcal{D}_2[/itex] are (natural) graded derivations of degrees [itex]r_1,r_2[/itex] respectively, then the operator:
[itex][\mathcal{D}_1,\mathcal{D}_2] := \mathcal{D}_1 \circ \mathcal{D}_2 - (-1)^{r_1 r_2} \mathcal{D}_2 \circ \mathcal{D}_1[/itex]

is a natural graded derivation of degree [itex]r_1+r_2[/itex].
I am finding it difficult to prove property 2 and 3 of graded derivation for this bracket.
Property 2 is given in the next page in definition 1.

I am uploading scans of my work (hopefully my hand written work won't stir you away).

Attachments

• Graded1.jpg
    Graded1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 414
  • Graded2.jpg
    Graded2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 415
  • Graded3.jpg
    Graded3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
this is a homework type question, i.e. not appropriate.

1. What is a natural graded derivation?

A natural graded derivation is a mathematical concept that describes a type of function that maps elements of a graded algebra to other elements of the same algebra. It is a generalization of the concept of a graded derivation, which only applies to homogeneous elements of an algebra.

2. How is a natural graded derivation different from a graded derivation?

A natural graded derivation is a more general concept than a graded derivation, as it applies to all elements of a graded algebra. In contrast, a graded derivation only applies to homogeneous elements, which have the same degree or grading.

3. What is the importance of natural graded derivations in mathematics?

Natural graded derivations are important in mathematics because they provide a way to study the structure and properties of graded algebras. They also have applications in algebraic geometry, representation theory, and other areas of mathematics.

4. Can you give an example of a natural graded derivation?

One example of a natural graded derivation is the multiplication operator on a graded algebra. This operator maps any element of the algebra to its multiplication by a fixed element, preserving the grading of the algebra.

5. What are some properties of natural graded derivations?

Natural graded derivations have several important properties, including linearity, compatibility with the grading of the algebra, and the Leibniz rule. They also form a Lie algebra under the commutator bracket operation, which can be used to study their structure and properties.