Calc. 3 Determining whether points lie in a straight line

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether points lie on a straight line and the use of linear algebra techniques to determine their linear independence. The idea of considering one point as the origin is also mentioned as a way to simplify the problem.
d.tran103
Hey, how do I determine whether or not points lie in a straight line? Is there a symbolic approach to determining so? Or do I need to spatially visualize it?

For instance,

A(0,-5,5), B(1,-2,4), C(3,4,2) does lie in a straight line according to my book. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any linear algebra?
If [0, -5, -5], [1, -2, 4], and [3, 4, 2] all lie in a one dimensional subspace, what does that say about their linear independence?

What is the vector going from A to B (call it v)? If C lies on this line than A-C = tv. Is this true?

Number Nine said:
Do you know any linear algebra?
If [0, -5, -5], [1, -2, 4], and [3, 4, 2] all lie in a one dimensional subspace, what does that say about their linear independence?
Three points can lie on a straight line and NOT lie in a one dimensional subspace so that is NOT sufficient. Only lines that include the origin form a subspace.

d.tran103 said:
Hey, how do I determine whether or not points lie in a straight line? Is there a symbolic approach to determining so? Or do I need to spatially visualize it?

For instance,

A(0,-5,5), B(1,-2,4), C(3,4,2) does lie in a straight line according to my book. Thanks!

Hey d.tran103 and welcome to the forums.

What you can do is calculate the direction vector of each combination of lines by calculating vectors for lines AB, BC, and AC. Then plug these into a matrix and show whether all of these are linearly dependent.

You can't just plug the raw points in because as HallsOfIvy said, this only works when all lines go through the origin, but if you look at direction vectors of the lines then this is a different thing and you can apply the techniques used in linear algebra.

If they all lie on the same line, then your reduce system will have 1 row of values and the rest will be all 0 elements. If you don't get this situation, then you know that there is at least one other independent characteristic.

The way I think of this is that you consider one of the points as the origin. Then regular linear algebra applies.

deluks917 said:
The way I think of this is that you consider one of the points as the origin. Then regular linear algebra applies.

This is equivalent to what I said above.

^yes. I am not sure why this matters.

If you are given the three points to be "A(0,-5,5), B(1,-2,4), C(3,4,2)", then the coordinate system is given and you cannot "take one of them to be the origin".

The simplest thing to do is to form the vectors AB= <1- 0, -2- (-5), 4- 5>= <1, 3, 1> and AC== <3- 1, 4- (-2), 2- 4>= <2, 6, -2>. The three points lie on a single line if and only if one of those two vectors is a multiple of the other.

Of course, that is equivalent to translating the three points so that A is translated to the origin but that is not just "taking one point to be the origin".

1. How do you determine if three points lie on a straight line?

To determine if three points lie on a straight line in Calc. 3, you can use the slope formula or the determinant method. If the slope between any two of the points is equal, then the points lie on a straight line. Alternatively, you can calculate the determinant of the matrix formed by the coordinates of the points. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the points are collinear and lie on a straight line.

2. Can you determine if more than three points lie on a straight line?

Yes, the same methods can be used to determine if more than three points lie on a straight line. However, it is important to note that if three points are collinear, it does not necessarily mean that all the points are collinear. Additional calculations would need to be done to confirm if all the points lie on the same line.

3. What is the significance of determining if points lie on a straight line?

Determining if points lie on a straight line is important in many mathematical and scientific applications. It can be used to find the equation of a line, calculate the slope of a line, and determine if a system of equations has a unique solution, among other things. It is also useful in visualizing and understanding data in fields such as statistics and economics.

4. Can you use vectors to determine if points lie on a straight line?

Yes, vectors can also be used to determine if points lie on a straight line. If the vectors formed by the points are parallel or collinear, then the points lie on a straight line. This method is particularly useful in three-dimensional space, where the determinant method may become more complicated.

5. Are there any real-life applications for determining if points lie on a straight line?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for determining if points lie on a straight line. For example, in physics, the position of an object in motion can be represented by a straight line, and determining if points lie on this line can help with predicting its future position. In engineering, determining if points lie on a straight line can be used to design bridges or other structures that require straight lines for stability.