Even and Odd Eigenfunctions in Sturm-Liouville Problems

• Thread starter Tomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the conversation discusses a Sturm-Liouville eigenvalue problem on a symmetric interval, where p(x) and r(x) have certain properties. The question at hand is to show that every eigenfunction is either even or odd. The individual suggests using an identity involving eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, but realizes it may not work if both functions are even. They then suggest trying to manipulate the equations to show that the eigenfunctions are either even or odd, but are unable to do so. Another person suggests changing the variable from x to -x and using that to show that if y(x) is a solution, y(-x) is also a solution.
Tomath

Homework Statement

We are given the following Sturm-Liouville eigenvalueproblem:
(p(x)y')' + r(x)y = [itex]\lambda[/itex]y
y(-a) = y(a) = 0

on a symmetrisch interval I = [-a, a]. About p(x) and r(x) we are given that p(-x) = p(x) < 0 and r(-x) = r(x) [itex]\forall[/itex]x [itex]\in[/itex] [-a, a]. Show that every eigenfunction is either even or odd.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using the fact that for two different eigenvalues with their corresponding eigenfunctions w(x), v(x) the following identity holds:

$$\int_{-a}^{a} v(x) w(x) dt = 0$$

which hopefully implies that v(x) w(x) is an odd function. However, this doesn't really seem to work because both v(x) and w(x) can be even and then the identity above still holds (even though v(x) w(x) is even).

My second thought is trying to get some expression like the following:
$$\int_{-a}^{a} p'(x) w(x) dt = 0$$ or $$\int_{-a}^{a} r(x) w(x) dt = 0$$ since that would imply that w(x) is either even or odd. However I cannot seem to get any expression like that.

What am I missing in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try changing variables from x to -x. Use that to show that if y(x) is a solution, then y(-x) is also a solution.

1. What are eigenfunctions?

An eigenfunction is a type of function that satisfies a specific mathematical equation, known as an eigenvalue equation. These functions are often used in the study of linear algebra and differential equations.

2. What is the difference between even and odd eigenfunctions?

Even eigenfunctions are symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that they have the same value when reflected across the y-axis. Odd eigenfunctions, on the other hand, are antisymmetric about the y-axis, meaning that they have opposite values when reflected across the y-axis.

3. How are even and odd eigenfunctions related?

Even and odd eigenfunctions are related through the eigenvalue equation. The eigenvalues for even and odd eigenfunctions are always different, but the corresponding eigenfunctions can be expressed as linear combinations of each other.

4. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. If a function is even, it cannot satisfy the conditions for oddness, and vice versa. However, a function can be neither even nor odd.

5. What is the significance of even and odd eigenfunctions?

Even and odd eigenfunctions have important applications in physics and engineering. For example, in quantum mechanics, even and odd eigenfunctions are used to describe the behavior of particles in symmetric and asymmetric potential wells, respectively.