Spam and exploit scans are out of control

• Thread starter graphic7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the author is concerned about an increase in spam and exploit attempts, as well as the lack of response from ISPs to customer abuse. They have implemented some protective measures, but feel that more needs to be done. They also mention that Asia is host to more proxy servers than other regions, and that IIS is a poor choice for webserver due to its flaws.
graphic7
Gold Member
I woke up this morning, and I noticed I had over 50 attempts for relaying through my mail server (mostly from Asian net ranges). I feel strongly that this has gotten out of control, and I wish I could report the individual IPs to their corresponding ISPs, knowing they would take the appropiate actions. As we all know, ISPs are very, very lazy when it comes to customer abuse. Bellsouth, for instance, still uses a real-time blacklist that, as the author says, should no longer be used, and encourages people to contact their respective ISPs and alert them that the blacklist is no longer maintained.

To add more grunts and groans, I checked my web server logs and noticed a ton of IIS exploit attempts (isn't Code Red over?). This, I believe, is more serious than spam, and actions should definitely be taken against this garbage; however, ISPs are lazy.

The only protective measure I've been able to implement is filtering out the netranges (three Class A's and a few B's and C's - all Asian).

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Computer science news on Phys.org
You mention the IP ranges mostly coming from Asia, isn't Asia the host to more proxy servers than another other place? I know the few times I've used a proxy, they were located all throughout Asia. Also, I noticed most of the Asian proxies are far more anonymous and secure than those in Europe and the United States.

IIS? It will take me only a few seconds to tell you why i would never have IIS as my webserver. I'm straight-up apache. Hey, Cod since you live in Georgia could I send you a private message regarding colleges in Georgia?

Cod said:
You mention the IP ranges mostly coming from Asia, isn't Asia the host to more proxy servers than another other place? I know the few times I've used a proxy, they were located all throughout Asia. Also, I noticed most of the Asian proxies are far more anonymous and secure than those in Europe and the United States.

Even more of a reason to block the Asian netblocks.

cipher said:
IIS? It will take me only a few seconds to tell you why i would never have IIS as my webserver. I'm straight-up apache. Hey, Cod since you live in Georgia could I send you a private message regarding colleges in Georgia?

I'm aware of IIS's flaws. In my previous post I never said I ran IIS. I merely stated that I'm being constantly probed for IIS security vulenerbilities.

ok graphic7, good to know that you don't run IIS.

cipher said:
Sure buddy. I'd be glad to help you in any way possible.

What is spam and why is it a problem?

Spam refers to unsolicited and often unwanted messages or advertisements that are sent in bulk through email, messaging platforms, or online forums. It is a problem because it can clutter inboxes, waste time and resources, and potentially spread malware or scams.

What is an exploit and why is it a concern?

An exploit is a type of malware or code that takes advantage of vulnerabilities in software or computer systems to gain unauthorized access or cause harm. It is a concern because it can lead to data breaches, system crashes, and other security threats.

Why are spam and exploit scans necessary?

Spam and exploit scans are necessary to detect and prevent the spread of unwanted or harmful content on the internet. They help to identify and block malicious activity, protect user data, and maintain the overall security of online platforms.

Why are spam and exploit scans considered to be out of control?

Spam and exploit scans are considered to be out of control because the amount of spam and malicious content on the internet continues to grow at an alarming rate. This makes it challenging for automated scanning tools to keep up and effectively filter out all of the unwanted and harmful content.

What can be done to better control spam and exploit scans?

To better control spam and exploit scans, it is essential to have a multi-layered approach to internet security. This may include implementing stricter policies and filters, regularly updating software and systems to patch vulnerabilities, and promoting internet safety and awareness among users.