Dark flow inquiry and question

• Thread starter julcab12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary: Interesting. It's the same reason why i got into this subject. I want to gather and understand as much data as i can bec. even my imagination fails me. I already started adding probabilistic variables in my head to make sense of it all but ended wrong still. I don't know if our interpretations are wrong or we're just missing some factors. In the end of the day what matters is i can make some level of predictions out of all data's in my head at least. ^^
julcab12
Good day guys. I've been reading articles on cosmology. And i stumbled upon a case on dark flow. Besides wiki, google and some sites which i can't tell if it's reliable or not, etc? Where can i find some good valid reads on that matter.

Any latest consensus published thought/reference/theories/discoveries that would at least make sense of the behavior of clusters and superclusters. What is the highest probabilistic explanation so far. Thanks in advance and more power.^^

Space news on Phys.org
I think we are only a few months away from Planck data (easrly 2013 was the last I heard from someone working on the project) and hopefully this will settle whether or not this is real effect or not.

Have you tried ARXIV? It should cover the good / bad /ugly, and rarely fails me.

Regards,

Noel.

Here is the latest on 'Dark Flow' - Cosmic Microwave Background filters and the Dark-Flow measurement, http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.4345. As should be evident, the topic is controversial, as it has been since first raised some years ago. It would certainly stir things up if confirmed. I'm quite sure there would be any number of cranks trumpeting the discovery as 'proof' of some idiotic 'theory' they had, or just invented.

Chronos said:
Here is the latest on 'Dark Flow' - Cosmic Microwave Background filters and the Dark-Flow measurement, http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.4345. As should be evident, the topic is controversial, as it has been since first raised some years ago. It would certainly stir things up if confirmed. I'm quite sure there would be any number of cranks trumpeting the discovery as 'proof' of some idiotic 'theory' they had, or just invented.

Oh, thanks. Been there. Cool site and spot on. I'll always stick to empirical reads and data's. After all. I don't want to end up confusing myself as i go further. I want to build on that foundation. I'm still new and had a sudden interest in cosmology. So, well see.^^

Thanks "Chro" appreciated man and sorry for bad English.

If this stuff doesn't confuse you now and then, you're probably doing something wrong.

Chronos said:
If this stuff doesn't confuse you now and then, you're probably doing something wrong.

Uh ... it confuses me ALL of the time. Does that mean I'm doing everything right? :smile:

Chronos said:

... Well. Interesting. It's the same reason why i got into this subject. I want to gather and understand as much data as i can bec. even my imagination fails me. I already started adding probabilistic variables in my head to make sense of it all but ended wrong still. I don't know if our interpretations are wrong or we're just missing some factors. In the end of the day what matters is i can make some level of predictions out of all data's in my head at least. ^^

1. What is dark flow?

Dark flow is a hypothetical phenomenon in astrophysics that suggests there may be a persistent and directed flow of matter and energy towards one particular region of the universe. This flow appears to be stronger and more consistent than the overall expansion of the universe, and it is believed to be caused by a gravitational attraction towards a massive object beyond the observable universe.

2. How is dark flow different from dark matter and dark energy?

Dark flow is a separate and distinct concept from dark matter and dark energy. While dark matter and dark energy are both hypothesized to exist within the observable universe, dark flow refers to a possible flow of matter and energy from outside the observable universe. Additionally, dark flow is thought to be caused by gravitational forces, whereas dark matter and dark energy are believed to be caused by different phenomena.

3. Have scientists observed dark flow?

At this time, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of dark flow. Some studies have suggested the presence of a small flow of matter towards one particular region of the universe, but this has not been confirmed by other studies. More research and observational data are needed to determine if dark flow truly exists.

4. What are the implications of dark flow on our understanding of the universe?

If dark flow is confirmed to exist, it would significantly challenge our current understanding of the universe and its expansion. It could also provide insights into the nature of the universe outside of our observable boundaries and the role of gravitational forces on a large scale.

5. How are scientists studying and investigating dark flow?

Scientists are using various methods to study and investigate dark flow. These include analyzing data from large-scale surveys of the universe, such as the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and studying the behavior of galaxy clusters and their movement towards one particular region. Some researchers are also looking at the cosmic microwave background radiation for any potential anomalies that could be attributed to dark flow.