How to find the cosine of i using Taylor series?

In summary, the cosine of the imaginary unit i can be found by calculating the infinite sum of 1 over the factorial of 2n, which simplifies to 1 over the factorial of m for even m, and 0 for odd m. This can then be further simplified to 1/2 times the sum of e and e^-1.
pierce15
Is there a way to find the cosine of i, the imaginary unit, by computing the following infinite sum?

[tex]cos(i)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^ni^{2n}}{(2n)!}[/tex]

Since the value of ##i^{2n}## alternates between -1 and 1 for every ##n\in\mathbb{N}##, it can be rewritten as ##(-1)^n##.

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^n(-1)^n}{(2n)!}[/tex]

##(-1)^n(-1)^n=(-1)^{2n}##, which is equal to one for all ##n\in\mathbb{N}##. Thus,

[tex]cos(i)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(2n)!}[/tex]

Is all of this correct? If so, how would the final sum be calculated?

Edit: got the inline equations working

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, can someone remind me how to do inline equations? single dollar signs are not working for some reason. Also, why won't my last equation come out?

piercebeatz said:
By the way, can someone remind me how to do inline equations? single dollar signs are not working for some reason. Also, why won't my last equation come out?

The forum can use "tags" inclosed in square brackets (with no spaces between the tag and the surrounding brackets). The tag for beginning an expression in-line with text is itex. The tag for ending it is /itex. For writing latex on a separate line, the tags are tex and /tex.

(Begin a reply-with-quote to someone's post that has the type of expression you want and you'll see the details of the LaTex.)

If you right click on a an expression you can get some menus and one of them gives options to pick the "math renderer". Picking a different renderer can fix some problems with how formulas are displayed.

Looks correct so far. cos(i)=cosh(1) which can be expressed with exponential functions. If you write them as series and simplify, you should get the same result.

You can use ## for inline TeX.

mfb said:
Looks correct so far. cos(i)=cosh(1) which can be expressed with exponential functions. If you write them as series and simplify, you should get the same result.

You can use ## for inline TeX.

I am aware that it is possible to extend trigonometric functions to imaginary values using hyperbolic trig functions. However, I am wondering if this sum can be evaluated without doing so

piercebeatz said:
I am aware that it is possible to extend trigonometric functions to imaginary values using hyperbolic trig functions. However, I am wondering if this sum can be evaluated without doing so

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n)!} = \frac12 \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{m!} + \frac{(-1)^m}{m!}\right) = \frac12(e + e^{-1}).
[/tex]

pasmith said:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n)!} = \frac12 \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{m!} + \frac{(-1)^m}{m!}\right) = \frac12(e + e^{-1}).
[/tex]

How did you change the first sum to the second?

Clever guessing (based on the known result). Write down the first terms of the second sum and you'll see how it works.
For odd m, both summands cancel each other, for even m, they stay (and get a factor of 2 to cancel the 1/2).

1. What is the Taylor series for cos(x)?

The Taylor series for cos(x) is:
cos(x) = 1 - x2/2! + x4/4! - x6/6! + ...

2. How do you use the Taylor series to approximate cos(x)?

To approximate cos(x) using the Taylor series, you can choose a value for x and plug it into the series. The more terms you include in the series, the more accurate your approximation will be.

3. What is the benefit of using the Taylor series for cos(x) instead of the standard trigonometric function?

The Taylor series allows for more precise calculations of cos(x) for values that are not easily calculable using the standard trigonometric function. It also provides a better understanding of the behavior of cos(x) for different values of x.

4. How is the error in the Taylor series for cos(x) calculated?

The error in the Taylor series for cos(x) can be calculated using the remainder term, which is given by the last term in the series that is not included in the approximation. The error decreases as more terms are included in the series.

5. Is the Taylor series for cos(x) an exact representation of the function?

No, the Taylor series for cos(x) is an approximation of the function. It is only an exact representation when an infinite number of terms are included in the series. However, including more terms in the series can result in a more accurate approximation.