Stopping discharging a battery during charging

In summary, when the power goes out, the light will stay on with the charger plugged in. If the power goes out again, the light will turn off with the charger plugged in.
adilsyyed
I am from a country where power outage is very common.
I have a light source which is run by a lead acid battery. At night, I want to keep this light ON during power outage and when the electricity is back on, the charging circuit engages and the lights should turn off itself.
I am guessing an arrangement would be needed so that when the charging starts, with it somehow, a circuit should sense it and open/dis-engage the discharging circuit.

Simple Version:
I want to plug the charger in the battery, during power outage the light will be ON and with power on (when the charger starts charging the battery), the light turns OFF.

Engineering news on Phys.org
adilsyyed said:
I am from a country where power outage is very common.
I have a light source which is run by a lead acid battery. At night, I want to keep this light ON during power outage and when the electricity is back on, the charging circuit engages and the lights should turn off itself.
I am guessing an arrangement would be needed so that when the charging starts, with it somehow, a circuit should sense it and open/dis-engage the discharging circuit.

Simple Version:
I want to plug the charger in the battery, during power outage the light will be ON and with power on (when the charger starts charging the battery), the light turns OFF.

I would use a relay powered from the wall power. You can connect your light and charging circuit to different parts of the relay to give the two different configurations.

berkeman said:
I would use a relay powered from the wall power. You can connect your light and charging circuit to different parts of the relay to give the two different configurations.

ummm... That would be a nice way to do it.

Be sure to use a "break-before-make" type of relay. :smile:

berkeman said:
Be sure to use a "break-before-make" type of relay. :smile:

If only I was expert in electronics.
But thanks for the head start, that's how we learn. I am going to read more about the relay you proposed.

1. Why is it important to stop discharging a battery during charging?

It is important to stop discharging a battery during charging because the battery is already being depleted of energy and continuing to discharge it can cause irreversible damage. This can decrease the overall capacity and lifespan of the battery.

2. Can discharging a battery during charging cause safety hazards?

Yes, discharging a battery during charging can cause safety hazards such as overheating, explosion, or fire. This is because the battery is being charged and discharged at the same time, leading to an imbalance of chemical reactions and an increase in temperature.

3. How does discharging a battery affect its performance?

Discharging a battery during charging can negatively affect its performance by reducing its capacity and overall lifespan. This is because the battery is being overworked and may not be able to hold a charge as effectively.

4. What happens if a battery is continuously discharged while charging?

If a battery is continuously discharged while charging, it can lead to irreversible damage and decrease the battery's overall capacity. This can also cause safety hazards and may result in the battery being unusable.

5. Are there any benefits to not discharging a battery during charging?

Yes, there are several benefits to not discharging a battery during charging. These include ensuring the battery's safety, prolonging its lifespan, and maintaining its performance and capacity. Additionally, it can help save energy and reduce the risk of damaging the charging device.