How can I calculate Vout for a CMOS inverter?

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cmos
In summary, the professor said that the PMOS is in triode because it is on but has no current. We know that pMOS is in triode mode because Vds < ( Vgs - Vth).
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hi all. I don't know if I have given this enough thought but I will ask anyway. I know that a CMOS is an inverter, so for input High you will get output Low, and for input Low you will get output High. I am trying to find this out mathematically (or even just logically) but I can't seem to do it.

Say Vdd (power supply to pMOS) is 5v and Vin is also 5v. In this case the PMOS will be in cutoff mode and the NMOS will be in saturation mode. Vgs of the NMOS will be 5v. I don't know what to do next. I know that the saturation current equation for the NMOS does not include Vd (or Vds) when channel length modulation is neglected, so I have no idea how to get Vd of NMOS (AKA: Vd of PMOS, AKA: Vout).

PS: Another thing that is bothering me, is when say Vin is 5v (and Vdd is also 5v), the NMOS should have current passing through it (since in saturation) but the PMOS should not have current passing through it (since in cutoff). Kind of a paradox in my opinion. But it kind of makes sense that Vo will be zero in order to negate this current.

Anyone?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This short video should help you better understand the circuit .

Because if PMOS is cut-off then without the load NMOS current is 0A.
so NMOS is not in saturation but in triode mode (aka linear region).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jony130 said:
This short video should help you better understand the circuit .

Because if PMOS is cut-off then without the load NMOS current is 0A.
so NMOS is not in saturation but in triode mode (aka linear region).

Hey. Thanks for the reply and the youtube link (probably going to watch it a couple more times). So the schematic in the video is a cmos? I thought for a cmos both mosfets would have the same input (Vin) at their gates? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
perplexabot said:
Hey. Thanks for the reply and the youtube link (probably going to watch it a couple more times). So the schematic in the video is a cmos? I thought for a cmos both mosfets would have the same input (Vin) at their gates? Thanks again.
Yes, it is a CMOS circuit. CMOS --->Complementary MOS. So we need nMOS and pMOS in the circuit and we have a CMOS circuit. And circuit you have in mind is a CMOS inverter.
Also read this
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=314871#post314871
This also should help you understand basic principles of how we analyse such circuits.

Hey, I have a question about the video. For part a) the professor said that the pmos is in triode because it is on but has no current. I understand that there is no current since nmos is in cutoff, i also understand that the pmos is on. my question is how do u know the pmos is in triode and not in saturation?

1. How do I calculate the output voltage (Vout) for a CMOS circuit?

The output voltage for a CMOS circuit can be calculated using the equation Vout = (Vin x (Rf/Rin)), where Vin is the input voltage, Rf is the feedback resistor, and Rin is the input resistor. It is important to note that this equation assumes an ideal CMOS circuit with no current leakage.

2. What is the difference between Vout in a CMOS circuit and other types of circuits?

In a CMOS circuit, the output voltage (Vout) is determined by the ratio of the input voltage (Vin) and the feedback and input resistors (Rf and Rin). This is different from other types of circuits, such as BJT or FET, where the output voltage is determined by the transistor's characteristics.

3. How does the supply voltage affect the calculation of Vout in a CMOS circuit?

The supply voltage does not directly affect the calculation of Vout in a CMOS circuit. However, it does impact the maximum output voltage that can be achieved, as it determines the upper limit of the output swing.

4. Can Vout be negative in a CMOS circuit?

Yes, Vout can be negative in a CMOS circuit. This can occur when the input voltage (Vin) is negative, and the feedback and input resistors (Rf and Rin) are configured in a way that produces a negative output voltage.

5. How can I optimize the value of Vout in a CMOS circuit?

The value of Vout can be optimized by carefully selecting the values of the input and feedback resistors (Rin and Rf). This can be done by analyzing the desired input and output voltage ranges and choosing appropriate resistor values to achieve the desired output voltage. Additionally, minimizing the effects of parasitic capacitance and leakage current can also help optimize Vout in a CMOS circuit.