Register to reply

Volume of a solution?

by ChrisJA
Tags: solution, volume
Share this thread:
ChrisJA
Nov10-13, 08:48 PM
P: 42
Could someone tell me the Google terms or where to look in a general chemistry textbook. I want to know the exact volume after one substance is dissolved into another. For example I know a liter of alcohol and a liter of water don't combine to make exactly two liters

Or let's say I have 1 liter of water I add 1 gram table salt. It dissolves and I have a saltwater solution with density of 1.001 Is the above exactly correct? Does the dissolved NaCl not add any volume?

If someone could give me a hint and how to find the details I'd be happy. I last took chemistry 25 years ago but I think we used approximate methods. I'm looking to know the physics involved.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Faster, cheaper tests for sickle cell disease
Simulations for better transparent oxide layers
Characterizing strontium ruthenate crystals for electrochemical applications
DrDu
Nov11-13, 01:35 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,595
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_molar_property
there is also a partial molare volume calculator under "External Links".
Borek
Nov11-13, 04:09 AM
Admin
P: 23,595
General answer: there is no general method that doesn't require experimental parameters.

The only way of doing the calculations is with the use of density tables. However, these rarely exist for solutions containing more than two substances.

See if my concentration calculator doesn't help (and the dilution calculator in particular). It has built in density tables for over 300 compounds (including some of the miscible ones, like ethanol), and you can add density tables at any time (assuming you will be able to find them). Note: these are all water solutions.

Register to reply