Searching inside .zip files on internet

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of searching through .zip files on the internet without having to download and extract the files. One suggestion is to use HTTP version 1.1 and ranges, but this may not be applicable for all cases. Another option is to use a search engine, but it is mentioned that none of them have this capability. It is also noted that for a search bot to look inside a file on a web server, it would need to be retrieved to local disk first. The only alternative would be to inject code onto the web server itself, which is not feasible for most sites.
Vespero
Is anyone aware of a way to search through .zip files on the internet (such as in an archive site) without having to download and extract the files? For example, if I have a search phrase that may be in a .doc file inside a .zip file which is potentially stored with many other .zip files, I don't want to have to download them all and have to manually search through them, but would like to be able to at least find the correct .zip to download first.

Many thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Vespero said:
Is anyone aware of a way to search through .zip files on the internet (such as in an archive site) without having to download and extract the files? For example, if I have a search phrase that may be in a .doc file inside a .zip file which is potentially stored with many other .zip files, I don't want to have to download them all and have to manually search through them, but would like to be able to at least find the correct .zip to download first.

Many thanks.

If your using HTTP version 1.1 then yes because you can use ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_serving

SixNein said:
If your using HTTP version 1.1 then yes because you can use ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_serving
I think he is hoping to use a search engine - and I don't think any of them do what he wants.

If he's writing the search code himself, your byte range thing would be useful if he could eliminate many of the files based on their filename. But whenever a zip file contained only files like *.txt, *.docx, he would still need to read the whole zip file.

I can't think of any way for a search bot to look inside any file out on a web server without first retrieving the file to local disk. It seems irrelevant whether the file is compressed (zipped) or not. If you are writing code, you can certainly get a library to open the zip so it can be searched as plain text or whatever format you expect.

Unless perhaps you were able to inject pernicious code onto the web server itself so that the code runs THERE, but that would be only if you are permitted to add code to a site. It would not apply to most sites. If your code is looking at files on the web, they must first be fetched to your local disk by the HTTP client. Period.

Yes, there are ways to search through .zip files on the internet without having to download and extract them. One way is to use a search engine that has the capability to search within compressed files. For example, Google has a feature called "filetype" that allows you to specify the file type you are looking for, such as .zip, and then include your search phrase. This will only show results that contain your search phrase within a .zip file. Additionally, there are specialized search engines and tools that are specifically designed for searching within compressed files. These tools can be useful for finding specific files within a large number of .zip files. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of these tools may vary and they may not be able to search through all types of .zip files. It is always recommended to use caution when downloading and opening files from the internet, even if they are compressed.

1. What is the best way to search inside .zip files on the internet?

The best way to search inside .zip files on the internet is to use a search engine that has advanced search capabilities. You can use specific keywords and file extensions to narrow down your search results to only include .zip files. Additionally, you can also use specialized tools or software designed for searching within compressed files.

2. Can I search inside .zip files on specific websites?

Yes, you can search inside .zip files on specific websites by using the site operator in your search query. For example, if you want to search for .zip files on the website example.com, you can type "site:example.com .zip" into the search bar. This will only show results from the specified website that contain .zip files.

3. How do I open and search inside .zip files on my computer?

You can open and search inside .zip files on your computer by using a file compression software like WinZip, WinRAR, or 7-Zip. Once you have opened the .zip file, you can search for specific keywords or phrases within the compressed files using the search function in the software.

4. Is it possible to search inside multiple .zip files at once?

Yes, it is possible to search inside multiple .zip files at once by using a search tool that supports batch searching. These tools allow you to select multiple .zip files and search for specific keywords or phrases within all of them simultaneously.

5. Are there any limitations to searching inside .zip files on the internet?

Yes, there may be limitations when searching inside .zip files on the internet. Some websites may not allow their .zip files to be indexed by search engines, making them difficult to find. Additionally, some .zip files may be password protected, making it impossible to search inside them without the correct password.