Kirchhoff's Law: Detailed Mathematical Deduction (Proof)

In summary: Afaik, his law of radiation is another conservation law. It says that the emissivity of a surface is the same as its absorptivity. A consequence of this is that two surfaces at the same temperature, facing each other will each absorb the same radiated power at any wavelength as they will emit. So neither surface can heat up at the expense of the other. That would generate free Energy - verboten!
koustav
can anyone give me the detailed mathematical deduction(proof) of kirchhoff's law?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain the starting assumption that you wish to consider.

I can give you a logical "proof" for both laws:

Current law: if the sum of the currents into a node were NOT zero, then there would be current either coming in from, or going to into, nothingness. That would not be science, it would be magic.

Likewise for the sum of voltages around a loop.

:smile:

Depending on where your physics is at, you may know that voltage is really potential difference. There is an electric potential field with a scalar value defined for all space (including within your circuit wires) related to the work done to push a unit charge to that point from a pre-agreed point: usually infinity. The voltage between two points is just the difference between the potential at each point. If the potential difference between point a and b is v1 and the potential difference between b and c is v2, the potential difference between a and c is v1 + v2.

As an alternative approach, consider v1 to be the work required to push a unit charge from a to b and v2 the work from b to c. Clearly, the work to go from a to c is the sum of the two numbers.

Hope this helps

sorry but i mean kirchhoff's law of radiation

koustav said:
sorry but i mean kirchhoff's law of radiation

Afaik, his law of radiation is another conservation law. It says that the emissivity of a surface is the same as its absorptivity. A consequence of this is that two surfaces at the same temperature, facing each other will each absorb the same radiated power at any wavelength as they will emit. So neither surface can heat up at the expense of the other. That would generate free Energy - verboten!

ya but want the mathematical deduction of kirchhoff's law of radiation

Google?

i have already searched but i didn't get

Is there, precisely, a
detailed mathematical deduction(proof) of kirchhoff's law
?
I have read around what I can find in a couple of textbooks and on the www. It seems as much an article of faith as anything, based on the second law of thermodynamics. You may have to dig further than just what Google has to offer at the first level. And it's not just a matter of a mathematical derivation.

This link refers to the original paper and http://www.ptep-online.com/index_files/2009/PP-19-01.PDF has a lot about the studies at the time. It points out the big error in Kirchoff's approach.
Hope it's of some use.

Hope this helps you.Detailed derivation.

Attachments

• Photo0011.jpg
    Photo0011.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 510
  • Photo0012.jpg
    Photo0012.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 521
Likes 1 person

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles in electrical circuit analysis that govern the behavior of electric currents in a closed circuit. They were first introduced by German physicist Gustav Kirchhoff in the mid-19th century.

2. What are the two laws of Kirchhoff's Law?

The two laws of Kirchhoff's Law are the Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal to zero, while KVL states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal to zero.

3. What is the mathematical deduction for Kirchhoff's Current Law?

The mathematical deduction for KCL is based on the principle of conservation of charge. It states that at any point in a circuit, the total current flowing into that point must equal the total current flowing out of that point.

4. What is the mathematical deduction for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

The mathematical deduction for KVL is based on the principle of conservation of energy. It states that the total voltage drop across any closed loop in a circuit must equal the total voltage rise in that loop.

5. How are Kirchhoff's Laws used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Laws are used in circuit analysis to determine the unknown voltages and currents in a circuit, by setting up a system of equations based on KCL and KVL. These laws are also used to check the accuracy of circuit calculations and to troubleshoot circuit problems.