Register to reply

Hardy-Weinberg question

by Big-Daddy
Tags: hardyweinberg
Share this thread:
Big-Daddy
Mar30-14, 12:07 PM
P: 343
It would seem to me that after monohybrid mating, the frequency of the dominant and recessive allele should change? I will donate original frequency (i.e. proportion) by f0 and that after mating by f1.

f1(Dom-Dom) = f0(Dom-Dom)2 + 1/2 * f0(Dom-Dom) * f0(Dom-Rec) + 1/4 * f0(Dom-Rec)2

Am I right so far? (I hope my notation is intelligible - f0(Genotype) is the fraction of the genotype, in the original population.)

Then we can replace the terms to find f1(Dom-Dom) = P(Dom)4 + 1/2 * P(Dom)2 * 2*P(Dom)*(1-P(Dom)) + 1/4 * (2*P(Dom)*(1-P(Dom)))2 = P(Dom)4 - P(Dom)3 + P(Dom)2.

Where P(Dom) is the frequency of the dominant allele and P(Rec) is the frequency of the recessive allele, P(Dom)+P(Rec)=1, in the original population. Thus it would seem that the frequency of the allele has changed due to the mating?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Scottish zoo: 'Bad news' for pregnant giant panda
DNA may have had humble beginnings as nutrient carrier
Central biobank for drug research
Ygggdrasil
Mar30-14, 12:57 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,393
Quote Quote by Big-Daddy View Post
It would seem to me that after monohybrid mating, the frequency of the dominant and recessive allele should change? I will donate original frequency (i.e. proportion) by f0 and that after mating by f1.

f1(Dom-Dom) = f0(Dom-Dom)2 + 1/2 * f0(Dom-Dom) * f0(Dom-Rec) + 1/4 * f0(Dom-Rec)2
You forgot a factor of 2 in the fraction of Dom-Dom/Dom-rec matings to account for the combinatorics [i.e. the probability of a homozygous dominant individual mating with a heterozygote is 2*f(Dom-Dom)*f(Dom-rec)].
Big-Daddy
Mar30-14, 01:24 PM
P: 343
Quote Quote by Ygggdrasil View Post
You forgot a factor of 2 in the fraction of Dom-Dom/Dom-rec matings to account for the combinatorics [i.e. the probability of a homozygous dominant individual mating with a heterozygote is 2*f(Dom-Dom)*f(Dom-rec)].
Ah I see. And any mating between two individuals with different genotypes would also have this multiplying factor of 2 in the calculation of its probability?

Ygggdrasil
Mar30-14, 01:55 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,393
Hardy-Weinberg question

Quote Quote by Big-Daddy View Post
Ah I see. And any mating between two individuals with different genotypes would also have this multiplying factor of 2 in the calculation of its probability?
Yes.

Register to reply