Funded PhD at UC Riverside or unfunded masters at Brown University

by fysix
Tags: brown, funded, masters, riverside, unfunded
Share this thread:
Yellowflash
May2-14, 03:25 PM
P: 76
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Probably. But is that worth 140 000 dollars?
Oh yeah, that's probably a major drawaback. But the thing is, nowadays people (especially parents) care a lot about prestige. Maybe he should do some research on the academics (for example which textbooks they use) and get a sense of which atmosphere he would be more suited in.
phyzguy
May2-14, 03:27 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by Yellowflash View Post
Hi, I did not say that as a completely general statement, but isn't it obvious that for the most part if there are two employers with similar skills and if one went to Harvard and the other to Penn State, they will generally choose the Harvard person?
We're not talking Harvard and Penn State, we're talking Brown and UC Riverside. They just aren't that far apart in Physics. I bet most people in the western part of the US hold the UC system in higher esteem than Brown.
jkl71
May2-14, 06:32 PM
P: 59
From OP, "for industry, which holds more weight, masters from Brown or PhD from UCR", it probably varies a lot depending on the person, based on people I know (ignoring MS/PhD difference) a PhD from either school would hold about the same amount of weight. Things may be different on the East Coast.

In terms of physics I agree with those that don't think there's much difference, certainly not $140,000 worth. I wouldn't even consider Brown in the scenario you described. As phyzguy said, I would think about it if it were Harvard, Caltech or MIT.

For what it's worth that's my take on it.
jesse73
May4-14, 09:41 PM
P: 446
Quote Quote by Yellowflash View Post
Hi, I did not say that as a completely general statement, but isn't it obvious that for the most part if there are two employers with similar skills and if one went to Harvard and the other to Penn State, they will generally choose the Harvard person?
I was referring to how McKinsey is notorious for hiring Ivy League grads.
StatGuy2000
May5-14, 07:26 AM
P: 591
Quote Quote by jesse73 View Post
I was referring to how McKinsey is notorious for hiring Ivy League grads.
From what I understand, that's only true for those with an undergraduate degree alone or those with MBAs. McKinsey has actively recruited people with physics PhDs (and others with masters or PhDs in other quantitative programs, like math, statistics or engineering) from schools other than Ivy League schools.

More to the point, to the OP, if it's a choice between a funded and an unfunded program, I would suggest you definitely go with the funded program, without a moment's hesitation.

Register to reply