Generating Current: Is This Ohm's Law?

• Thread starter jsalazar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: do you want me to explain what ohm's law is or what the phenomenon of current generating is called?please make me clear. do you want me to explain what ohm's law is or what the phenomenon of current generating is called?
jsalazar
I know that current is generated by charges moving in an electric field caused by other nearby charges is this phenomenon called Ohm's Law? I'm a bit confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
:bump: anyone know?

Ohm's law is a series of equations dictating the relationship between voltage, resistance, current, and power in DC circuits.

Pengwuino said:
Ohm's law is a series of equations dictating the relationship between voltage, resistance, current, and power in DC circuits.

I know what Ohm's Law is, my question is, what is the phenomenon of current generating called?

I don't believe it is... I'm sure someone else will be able to answer your question better then i can.

thanks for your help!...can anyone else help me?

jsalazar said:
I know that current is generated by charges moving in an electric field caused by other nearby charges is this phenomenon called Ohm's Law? I'm a bit confused.

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind but if you have a net movement of charge then you have, by definition, electrical current. The presence of an electric field may cause the flow of current to change (either increase or decrease or remain the same in some circumstances).

Do you want to elaborate on what you mean?

Tide said:
I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind but if you have a net movement of charge then you have, by definition, electrical current. The presence of an electric field may cause the flow of current to change (either increase or decrease or remain the same in some circumstances).

Do you want to elaborate on what you mean?

For example, if I attach a solenoid with a small cylindrical magnet going through it and attach it to a galvanometer, the needle of the glavanometer moves to a particular side depending on the conditions. Current is generated, that explains why the needle moves to a particular side. Now my question is, what is the name of this phenomenon. So far, we've only discussed electrostatics, equipotential surfaces, ohm's law, series and parallel circuits and rc circuits in class. That's why I was assuming it this phenomenon was called Ohm's Law, but I don't think I'm right.

As mentioned above, Faraday's law, one of Maxwells equations, relates a changing electic field, a changing magnetic field and a current density. Ohms law can be derived from Maxwell equations and I believe that Faradays is the key equation in that derivation.

js,

Ohm's Law is a relationship between the current and electric and expresses that relationship in terms of properties of the medium, namely its resistivity (or resistance). The phenomenon you have in mind is called "induction" and refers to the fact that whenever magnetic fields change they induce (or make) electric fields (aka electromotive force).

This phenomenon was first studied methodically by Michael Farady. Later, James Clerk Maxwell incorporated Faraday's Law into the full set of equations that describe classical electromagnetic fields which we refer to as Maxwell's Equations. Incidentally, the electric fields induced by changing magnetic fields exist with or without any material present.

Integral,

The "derivation" of Ohm's Law does not require Faraday's Law.

jsalazar said:
I know what Ohm's Law is, my question is, what is the phenomenon of current generating called?

please make me clear.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. How is Ohm's Law related to generating current?

Ohm's Law is directly related to generating current because it explains the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. By applying a voltage to a conductor, the flow of current can be generated and controlled based on the resistance of the conductor.

3. What factors influence the current generated in a circuit?

The current generated in a circuit is influenced by the voltage applied, the resistance of the conductor, and the type of material used in the conductor. Other factors such as temperature and length of the conductor can also affect the current generated.

4. How can Ohm's Law be used to calculate the current in a circuit?

To calculate the current in a circuit using Ohm's Law, you can use the equation I=V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. By rearranging the equation, you can also calculate voltage or resistance if you know the other two values.

5. Are there any limitations to Ohm's Law in generating current?

Ohm's Law is a general principle that applies to most electrical circuits, but it does have limitations. It assumes that the conductor is a perfect conductor and that the temperature remains constant. In real-world applications, there may be variations due to imperfect conductors, changes in temperature, and other factors.