How well do you like the new skin?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, there is mixed feedback regarding the new skin on the forum. Some users like the color scheme and design elements such as the title bars, end bars, and flash banner. However, others find the color scheme difficult to read and feel that the graphics make the forum look too childish or like a gaming forum. Some specific design elements mentioned include the gray areas around each post, the "go to last post in thread" buttons, and the thread rating levels. There is also a suggestion to have an option for users to switch between the classic and updated skin. Overall, there is a need for more time to adapt to the new environment and further discussion on which elements contribute to the gaming or space-age feel.

Do you like the new skin?

• Yes

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 34 46.6%

• Total voters
Mk
I REALLY like the text color scheme (I'll have to steal it sometime :biggrin:), the oranges, grey-blues etc.. The title bars, end bars, new flash banner, and user navigation bar are superb.

The color scheme makes the text more difficult for me to read. Also I don't think the usernames stand out as much as they should (but the size is perfect now, after more use heh.). Also, I think the idea that the gray area around each post should be blueish-gray. It would be much easier on the eyes I think by just changing the sea of gray to blue-gray.

How do you like it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be working a lot better on Safari, as Moonbear and I aren't having any trouble with fonts, size, or text contrast. I'm actually getting used to the post face and background, but I still don't like the graphics. I guess I'm just being an old man, but they remind me a bit too much of Club Buzz (Lightyear, that is) at Disneyland; it kind of makes what is otherwise a pretty serious forum come across as childish.

After a little more use I would also like to add that the "go to last post in thread" buttons are too small. I use those a lot and would like them as big as the last ones. Or maybe they just look small. Also, the thread rating levels are WAY too big, very unappealing, overly-bubbley, and they distract your attention away.

I like it, I think it's pretty neat.. but that's just me, i get bored of things really fast, so change is always good.

I'm using Firefox, and it's not giving me any problems either.

There's an awful lot of... grey. Kind of bland, really. Oh well.

The skin isn't even working for me on firefox.

I like the new look!

The skin is fine, but the grey colors look really boring.
I prefer the blue + white colors.
The flashlogo is superb.

I prefer the classic one. Just looks space/high-tech in an odd way to me. How about putting an option in the User CP of either using the Classic skin or the Updated one.

Now, it doesn't look like a physics forum. It looks more like a game forum. The website needs its serious old look back.

Let's give it a week to get ourselves adapted to the new environment, ok guys ?

marlon

The_Professional said:
I prefer the classic one. Just looks space/high-tech in an odd way to me. How about putting an option in the User CP of either using the Classic skin or the Updated one.
There is an option dialog in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Just switch it back to PF classic.

IMO, the new skin is a bit too, I don't want to say "cheesy", but it is a bit too video game-ish for my likings. I actually like the kind of "all stainless steel" look of the new one. I think it's the buttons and small icons that turn me off. I also like the old forum banner more. All in all though, both skins make this site look much, much better than other forums I have seen.

Last edited:
For new visitors, the default skin IMO should be the old one. They can switch to the new one if they want later. However for a serious engineer/scientist coming here for the first time, the new screen could be a major turn off.

sid_galt said:
Now, it doesn't look like a physics forum. It looks more like a game forum. The website needs its serious old look back.

This has been noted a few times, which elements exactly make it look like a gaming forum? Also some say space age, if you could do the same and describe which elements give you this feel? I have a certain feeling that there is one element that makes everyone feel this way and I want to see if I'm right. I don't think it's the site header nor the buttons if you consider them independently. Anyway please describe and we can go from there.

Last edited:
The new skin reminded me of that old game Invader (or Invaders from Mars) - perhaps it is the icons.

The new skin is fine, but I like simple and the old one is fine with me. I don't really go for fancy - but that's just me. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
This has been noted a few times, which elements exactly make it look like a gaming forum? Also some say space age, if you could do the same and describe which elements give you this feel? I have a certain feeling that there is one element that makes everyone feel this way and I want to see if I'm right. I don't think it's the site header nor the buttons if you consider them independently. Anyway please describe and we can go from there.
That's an interesting comment actually, since my bf's first reaction to the site was that it would be a good skin for a gaming forum. I think it is the 3D nature of the buttons/boxes that make it have that look. And the header definitely would account for the space age feel.

I think it's the green and those little stars and such. It looks good though.

It's definitely loading slower for me, and feels chunkier when I scroll down. I am on a 28.8 modem though.

I don't like the animated banner. It looks pretty but I prefer as minimalist a layout as I can get. The menu at the top right (wth "Home", "User CP", etc.). Is touching my scrollbar. I have bad aim.

The thick black lines around the buttons and the border thing that appears around every 15 posts makes it look like a gaming forum to me. I actually like the look around the buttons, but the "quote" button on every post really jumps out compared to the text of the messages. The border thing looks like a stretched face at the top, the blue dealies on the left and the right the eyes- very video gamish.

I do like the colours though, it's easy on the eyes and nice and simple.

It looks like a spaceship, the spaceship of physics. Fire the phasers...

Greg Bernhardt said:
This has been noted a few times, which elements exactly make it look like a gaming forum? Also some say space age, if you could do the same and describe which elements give you this feel? I have a certain feeling that there is one element that makes everyone feel this way and I want to see if I'm right. I don't think it's the site header nor the buttons if you consider them independently.
I don't know why you think so...to me these are the things that make it look sci-fi/gamey. Well, not so much the header as the "eyes" and the page-bottom graphic bar - specifically, the green circles and blue designs that don't obviously represent anything.

Also, on the flash header, would it not provide more visibility to the graphics, if they were on the right half of the header, and not obscured by the title ? Looks like everything's crowded over on the left side, with the right side completely empty.

I also think it would be smart to break out of the cliched "three ellipse" representation of the atom as a prominent theme. That is just so wrong, it is unbecoming of a serious physics board !

I like the gray (grey) backgrounds !

Last edited:
I like it. Still haven't been home to see it on the Mac, but it looks nice on the office PC. As mentioned elsewhere, I have to turn my screen brightness down a touch to make it easier on my eyes. Then again, I'm photophobic so my opinion on that shouldn't be relevant.

Danger said:
I'm photophobic so my opinion on that shouldn't be relevant.

Impossible

how can you be ? with this 190° vision of yours:wink:

marlon

That's laterally. I have only 10* vertically because of squinting.

PS: How the hell do you get a degree symbol on a PC? There's no Opt-0 like on a real computer.

Danger said:
PS: How the hell do you get a degree symbol on a PC?

That is one of the few advantages of living in western europe

marlon

:confused:

The new layout is wicked sick! I love it! Really gives it a sciency feel to it.

I agree with some of what Gokul stated.
The blue 'eyes' at the top of the first post are very gamey, similaly the graphic at the bottom of the thread.

I like the header, the lay out, colour and placing of the buttons, the vertical colum on the left and the horizontal section starting on the right separated by that nice little arc is very well done, However the header graphics look superb and should not be hidden behind the banner.

I understand what Gokul is saying about the 3 elipse model of an atom but it's what the lay-person has the image of an atom therefore it speak to the masses saying "this site is about science" so even if it`s inaccurate, as a piece of advertising it works.

I personlly don`t like all the grey but then i have this highly irrational dislike of grey so maybe you should ignor this comment.

One thing i did like about the old skin, that you haven`t kept, was the little green light that let you know who was online (except Evo who is always in stealth mode!) but it`s been replaced with text, not good, people will find an icon easier ansd quicker to recognise than reading text but then maybe it`s not an important function, i don`t know but i did like it and found it usefull.

It was truly inspired allowing the option to keep the old style you obviously understand human nature very well, the reluctance to change and familiarity with what one knows, however, and this may seem a bit strange since i did have a moan about the new skin, the content is more important than the look, you shouldn`t have given the option it will only perpetuate the reluctance to move on and wastes space on the server.

Oh, one more thing where is the groan smilie, GD really needs it!:tongue:

zanazzi78 said:
One thing i did like about the old skin, that you haven`t kept, was the little green light that let you know who was online (except Evo who is always in stealth mode!) but it`s been replaced with text, not good, people will find an icon easier ansd quicker to recognise than reading text but then maybe it`s not an important function, i don`t know but i did like it and found it usefull.
Many members took several weeks before they realized that the little green light meant. No such confusion here ! I don't understand how you say it's easier to understand what a green light is telling you, as opposed to what a piece of text reading "zanazzi78 is ONLINE" tells you !

Gokul43201 said:
Many members took several weeks before they realized that the little green light meant. No such confusion here ! I don't understand how you say it's easier to understand what a green light is telling you, as opposed to what a piece of text reading "zanazzi78 is ONLINE" tells you !

ok may be not easier just quicker:blushing:

zanazzi78 said:
ok may be not easier just quicker:blushing:
Seeing the green light was easier, now I have to look over and read, I guess with time it will become second nature, but for now, I agree with zanazzi.

Hey, I'm not the only one hiding. :tongue: It's easier to sneak up on people this way.

Evo said:
Seeing the green light was easier, now I have to look over and read, I guess with time it will become second nature, but for now, I agree with zanazzi.
Hey, I'm not the only one hiding. :tongue: It's easier to sneak up on people this way.
I did notice that invisible people remain invisible to mentors now. :grumpy: Now I have to look at the "who's online" list, I can't just look at the color of your button.

zanazzi78 said:
I agree with some of what Gokul stated.
The blue 'eyes' at the top of the first post are very gamey, similaly the graphic at the bottom of the thread.
I like the header, the lay out, colour and placing of the buttons, the vertical colum on the left and the horizontal section starting on the right separated by that nice little arc is very well done, However the header graphics look superb and should not be hidden behind the banner.
I understand what Gokul is saying about the 3 elipse model of an atom but it's what the lay-person has the image of an atom therefore it speak to the masses saying "this site is about science" so even if it`s inaccurate, as a piece of advertising it works...

zanazzi78, I think you have one of the more thoughtful replies to the new skin and I appreciate that. The secondary header (with the "eyes") is what I was thinking of when people said it seemed gamey too. Since that part is not really directed to any function of the forum I might be flexible and if I have time try to create a secondary header that meets peoples needs a little better. I certainly was not going for a "gaming" look nor really a "space" look, merely a modern, possiblely high tech and exciting enviroment. However with the staffs and members help I have tweaked a lot to make things more usable and I will continue to do so.

As far as the atom symbol, it is merely an advertising and topical device, its extremely difficult to "express" science and even more-so physics in a pleasing graphical sense.

I would prefer to call the "grey" silver :smile: Anyway, my idea was to have the skin be mostly silver and have flashes of accent color. For those of you who think the skin is too distracting as is, imagine if I added even more color into the templates!

The status of the old skin is actually not so safe. The staff and I are discussing whether to create a no frills and thrills version of the new skin. It would help in forum updating and overall creates a consistant experience for everyone.

As gokul said the new member status indicator was fairly mysterious and not everyone understood or caught on what it ment. However if color is your thing, you can just think of it as orange text means they are on, grey text means they aren't, no reading involved :smile:

Contrast is poor, especially for my old eyes. I have four choices of `reading glasses’ to focus at ~ 6”, 14”, 24”, and 36’’. Normally I use the 36” pair to browse the web but for PF I find I have to use the 24” pair and move closer to the monitor.

Black text on a gray background in message area is a problem for me.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Greg, I have liked every graphic change you've made until this one. If I were to give my impression of the "feel" you ask about it's that it is metallic, and too monotone. It gives me a headache, no kidding! My eyes are stressing trying to find stuff.

I like the softer and warmer feel of the last skin much more; on the practical side I could see all the choices better and it loaded substantially faster too (I'm using Mac system 10.4.4). I feel like I've been sucked into robot world. :tongue2:

Last edited: