Chemistry Grade 11 - CuSO4 hydrous/anhydrous help

In summary, the conversation is about a coppersulfate lab for grade 11 chemistry. The lab questions involve calculating the percent of water in a hydrated salt, finding the moles of water and anhydrous salt, and determining the formula for the hydrated salt. The same approach is used for both questions and the integer value for n may need to be rounded due to experimental errors.
peon
hello I am in grade 11 chemistry and I am doing a coppersulfate lab. Please help!

ok these are the lab questions. My friends and i have been stuck on it for a whole period and afterschool and I am not really sure what I am doing.

1. A hydrates MGSO4 salt, weighing 3.211g, is heated until reaching a constant weight. The weight of the anhydrous MgSO4 is 1.570g.

a)Calculate the percent of water in the hydrated salt.

b)Calculate the moles of water removed and the moles of anhydrous MgSO4 remaining.

c) What is the formula for the hydrated MGSO4?

2. Anhydrous CaCl2 is used to remove water from the air within a dessicator and forms a hydrated salt. A 16.43 of anhydrous CaCl2 weighed 21.75g after being left ina dessicator for several months. What is the formula of the hydrated CaCl2?

Please show all your steps clearly, imm soo bad at chemistry =(

thanks a lot! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
1. A hydrates MGSO4 salt, weighing 3.211g, is heated until reaching a constant weight. The weight of the anhydrous MgSO4 is 1.570g.

Well one mass is for the hydrous state (with H2O) and the other mass is for the anhydous state - so the difference must be the mass of water.

So, assuming % is % by weight (or mass), find the % of water in hydrated MgSO4.

The number of moles, n, is found by dividing the mass by the molar mass - hint: molecular mass of water.

Then the formula for hydrated Mg sulfate is just MgSO4.nH2O, where n is usually an integer. You will also need the number of moles of MgSO4, so that n is an integer.

In part 2 - A 16.43 of anhydrous CaCl2 weighed 21.75g after being left ina dessicator for several months. What is the formula of the hydrated CaCl2?

Same approach as part 1. The difference in mass is the mass of water. Determine moles of water and CaCl2, and write a formula where the number of moles, n, of water is an integer.

Astronuc said:
Well one mass is for the hydrous state (with H2O) and the other mass is for the anhydous state - so the difference must be the mass of water.
So, assuming % is % by weight (or mass), find the % of water in hydrated MgSO4.
The number of moles, n, is found by dividing the mass by the molar mass - hint: molecular mass of water.
Then the formula for hydrated Mg sulfate is just MgSO4.nH2O, where n is usually an integer. You will also need the number of moles of MgSO4, so that n is an integer.
In part 2 - A 16.43 of anhydrous CaCl2 weighed 21.75g after being left ina dessicator for several months. What is the formula of the hydrated CaCl2?
Same approach as part 1. The difference in mass is the mass of water. Determine moles of water and CaCl2, and write a formula where the number of moles, n, of water is an integer.

ooo okies thx!

Sorry to bump this topic but I was wondering; how do we find 'n'- the integer value?

Experimental ratio is never exactly integer, you have to round.

Note that while formula contains n that is an integer, in reality quite often hydrated salts don't have exact composition, as there can exist several hydrates in equilibrium. In effect n determined experimentally depends on the temperature and humidity.

1. What is the difference between hydrous and anhydrous CuSO4?

Hydrous CuSO4 contains water molecules within its crystal structure, while anhydrous CuSO4 does not have any water molecules present. This results in differences in physical properties such as color and solubility.

2. How does the presence of water affect the properties of CuSO4?

Water molecules in hydrous CuSO4 can act as ligands, changing the coordination number and geometry of the compound. They also affect the color and solubility of the compound.

3. How can I determine if a sample of CuSO4 is hydrous or anhydrous?

A simple way to determine this is through heating. Anhydrous CuSO4 will remain white when heated, while hydrous CuSO4 will turn from blue to white as the water is driven off.

4. What is the chemical formula for CuSO4?

The chemical formula for both hydrous and anhydrous CuSO4 is CuSO4, as the water molecules are not included in the formula.

5. How can I calculate the percentage of water in a sample of hydrous CuSO4?

To calculate the percentage of water (or percent hydration) in a sample of hydrous CuSO4, you can use the formula: (mass of water/mass of hydrous CuSO4) x 100%. This will give you the percentage by mass of water in the compound.