Calculating Scale Readings for Dropped Mass on a Spring

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a massless, vertical spring attached to a platform and a ball being dropped into a cup attached to the spring. The question is what the reading on the scale will be when the ball is at rest with the spring compressed, and when the ball is dropped from a height. The summary also includes a discussion of the work done by the spring and the different values for x and x' in both cases.
Leomar
Hi, hope you can help me with finding out what I am doing wrong on this problem.
It goes as follows:
A massless, vertical spring of force konstant k is attached at the bottom to a platform of mass mp, and at the top to a massless cup.
The platform rests on a scale. A ball of mass mb is dropped into the cup fro a negligible height. What is the reading on the scale a) when the ball momentarily comes to a rest with the spring compressed.
And b) same as a), but with the ball dropped from a height h.
For problem a), I set that the ball would have potentional energy=0 when at rest, and thus that the work done by the spring must equal mbgx.
1/2kx^2=mbgx
=>
x=2mbg/k
Using Hookes law, the force exerted by the spring on the ball is 2mbg.
So the spring exerts the same force on the platform, and the scale should show F=mpg+2mbg
Which according to the solutionsguide is correct. (Though I might have made a mistake here anyway)
For problem b), I tried using the same method, setting that
1/2kx^2=mbg(x´+h) (Where x`=2mbg/k, from problem a))
=>
x=(2mbg(2mbg/k+h)/k)^(1/2)
rearranging
x=2mbg/k(1+hk/2mbg)^(1/2)
Which gives the solution
F=mpg+2mbg(1+hk/2mbg)^(1/2)
This is where the solutionsguide is disagreeing with me. :smile:
A hint or two would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for posting your work, leomar. It makes it easier to give an answer.

x is different from x'

x is the compression when the ball is just placed in the cup.

When the ball is then dropped from a height h above the cup before striking it, then it has additional energy which compresss the spring further and so x' > x.

I realize that the the x in a) and the x in b) are different values, but I did think that the different amount of work needed to be done by the spring would be equal to mgh. Where h is the extra height.
I might have been confusing by using x in equation a), then in be referring to it, but with a different name, sorry about that.

But it really boils down to, am I doing anything wrong in assuming that the work done by the spring in situation b), 1/2kx^2, equals to the work done in situation a), mbgx' (Note that this x' is the length the spring was compressed in a), not how much it will be compresses in b)) plus the extra energy gained from the heigh h, which would equal mbgh.
1/2kx^2=mbg(x´+h)
(Where x`=2mbg/k, from problem a))

Hope that clears it up.

The work done is different in either case.
The WD in b) is greater than the WD in a) because the spring is comprressed more in case b).
For a) WD = (1/2)kx² = mgx
For b) WD = (1/2)kx'² = mg(x' + h)
To find the new force on the scale, find F = mpg + kx'
You seem to have been be using x for part a),
For problem a), I set that the ball would have potentional energy=0 when at rest, and thus that the work done by the spring must equal mbgx.
1/2kx^2=mbgx
=>
x=2mbg/k
In my explanation above, I have used x as the compression for part a) and x' as the compression for part b).

Ah, now I see, thank you very much for you help.
Should be able to figure it out now :smile:

Edit: Yep, that did it. Again, thanks.

Last edited:

What is the relationship between mass and spring displacement?

The relationship between mass and spring displacement can be described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its rest position. This means that as the mass placed on a spring increases, the displacement of the spring will also increase proportionally.

How does the height from which the mass is dropped affect the spring's behavior?

The height from which the mass is dropped can affect the spring's behavior by changing the initial potential energy of the system. A higher drop height will result in a greater initial potential energy, which will cause the spring to stretch further and the mass to reach a higher displacement.

What factors can affect the period of oscillation of the spring?

The period of oscillation of a spring can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial displacement of the spring. Other factors that can affect the period of oscillation include air resistance, friction, and any external forces acting on the system.

How does the mass of the object affect the spring's natural frequency?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the spring's natural frequency, which is determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass attached to it. However, a heavier mass will require a stronger spring to maintain the same natural frequency as a lighter mass.

Can the spring be permanently deformed if a heavy mass is dropped on it?

Yes, a heavy mass dropped on a spring can cause permanent deformation if the force applied exceeds the elastic limit of the spring. This means that the spring will not return to its original shape and its behavior will be permanently altered.