Constant velocity on frictional slope

In summary, this conversation discusses how to derive the slope of a track for a rolling sphere with a frictional coefficient, maintaining a constant velocity. The conversation also explores the discrepancies in two different equations for acceleration and the role of friction in enabling the transformation of potential energy into both rotational and translational kinetic energy in a rolling motion.
Loren Booda
Derive the slope of a track where a sphere having frictional coefficient u maintains constant velocity v.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've tried so far.

Tide,

It's not a homework problem (yet?), but I appreciate your response. I thought someone might have fun working out this nontrivial, simply stated puzzle.

If I use Torque = I * alpha and Newtons second law, I end up with the following for acceleration.

a = mg sin(theta) * r^2 /(I + mr^2) where I is w.r.t. the center of the rolling object.

If I use the energy relation (i.e Change in Energy = work done by the force), I get

a = g[2 sin (theta) + u cos(theta)] / ( 1 + I/mr^2)

I can't figure out where the discripancy is.

Gamma said:
If I use Torque = I * alpha and Newtons second law, I end up with the following for acceleration.

a = mg sin(theta) * r^2 /(I + mr^2) where I is w.r.t. the center of the rolling object.
Assuming the sphere rolls without slipping, this looks good.

If I use the energy relation (i.e Change in Energy = work done by the force), I get

a = g[2 sin (theta) + u cos(theta)] / ( 1 + I/mr^2)
Not sure what you did here. Realize that as long as the sphere rolls without slipping, the friction does no work.

Say that the sphere rolls down from top a distance x.

Final Energy Ef= 1/2 I w^2 + 1/2 m v^2 - mgx sin(theta). Of course if the energy is conserved I can show that accelaration 'a' is same as the first expression in my post which is correct for a rolling object down the hill.

So my question is what effect do the gravitational and frictional forces have on the rolling motion? What makes the ball roll?

Last edited:
If there were no friction, the ball would slide down the hill without rolling. Friction exerts the torque (about the ball's center of mass) that makes the ball rotate as well as translate. As long as the friction is sufficient to make the ball roll without slipping, the friction does no work and mechanical energy is conserved. Friction enables the gravitational PE to be transformed into both rotational and translational KE.

Last edited:

1. What is constant velocity on a frictional slope?

Constant velocity on a frictional slope refers to an object moving at a constant speed on a slope with friction present. This means that the object's speed does not change, and it is not accelerating or decelerating.

2. How is constant velocity on a frictional slope different from constant velocity on a flat surface?

The main difference is the presence of friction. On a flat surface, there is typically less friction, so an object can maintain a constant velocity with minimal effort. On a frictional slope, the object must overcome the force of friction to maintain a constant speed.

3. What factors affect constant velocity on a frictional slope?

The main factors that affect constant velocity on a frictional slope are the mass of the object, the angle of the slope, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface.

4. Can an object maintain constant velocity on a frictional slope forever?

In theory, yes. If there are no external forces acting on the object and the conditions remain constant, the object can maintain a constant velocity on a frictional slope forever. However, in real-world scenarios, there are always external factors that can affect the object's velocity, such as air resistance or changes in surface conditions.

5. How can we calculate the velocity of an object on a frictional slope?

To calculate the velocity of an object on a frictional slope, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, the acceleration would be equal to the force of gravity minus the force of friction. We can also use the equations of motion to calculate the velocity at specific points along the slope.