Efficient Integration of A, a, and \lambda in Sticky Integral: A Helpful Guide

• Thread starter eep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of \int^\infty_{-\infty}xAe^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx = A\int^\infty_{-\infty}xe^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx, where A, a, and \lambda are positive, real constants. The first attempt at solving the integral using parts resulted in infinities, but after rearranging and setting u = x-a, the integral was solved to Aa\sqrt\frac{\pi}{\lambda}. The conversation also mentions the use of tables and doing integrals by hand, as well as the difficulties of integrating improper integrals. The conversation ends with a discussion on indefinite integrals of the form
eep
I am now asked to integrate the following:

[tex]\int^\infty_{-\infty}xAe^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx = A\int^\infty_{-\infty}xe^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dx[/tex]

Where A, a, and [itex]\lambda[/itex] are positive, real constants.

I first tried to do it by parts but that left me with infinities.

Then I tried setting [itex]u = x - a[/itex] and did some re-arranging, which left me with:

[tex]A\int^\infty_{-\infty}(u+a)e^{{-\lambda}u^2}dx = Aa\sqrt\frac{\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

Is this correct? Also, why does integrated by parts fail?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yea, that look's right. Integration by parts always works, it's just that sometimes it will give you the sum of two function which individually diverge on the interval you're interested in (maybe one to positive infinity and one to negative infinity), but are such that the limit of their sum is finite.

Ah, I see. I followed the method you posted last time to solve only the exponential part of the integral, but what method can be used to solve this? I had to look up the answer in a table, which I don't mind doing, but I feel it's important to do the integral by hand at least once.

The lefthand side of your last equation is a sum of two functions, one which is odd and integrated over an even range, so it integrates to zero, and one which you did in the other post.

In "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Rudin, ch. 6, exercise #9 indicates that: There are hypotheses required in order that integration by parts may be applied to improper integrals (the ones with infinite bounds of integration,) but it doesn't specify what thoses hypotheses are (that's the exercise.)

eep said:
I had to look up the answer in a table, which I don't mind doing, but I feel it's important to do the integral by hand at least once.

This is wonderful. Thank you. :smile:

By the way, in case you're interested (and since this seems to be the direction you're heading), indefinite integrals of the form:

[tex]\int x^n e^{-ax^2} dx[/tex]

do not have simple closed forms for n even. But there is a trick if your bounds are infinite. Starting with:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2} dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}[/tex]

You can repeatedly differentiate both sides with respect to a to get:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial a} \left( \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2} dx \right) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (-x^2) e^{-ax^2} dx =\frac{-1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a^3}}[/tex]

and so on. You can also integrate from zero to infinity by noting that these functions are even. For n odd, you can get an explicit formula for the antiderivative. For simplicity, assume a=1 (you can figure out what to do otherwise). Then use the substitution u=x^2 (assume n=2k+1):

[tex]\int x^n e^{-x^2} dx=\frac{1}{2}\int x^{2k} e^{-x^2} ( 2xdx)=\frac{1}{2}\int u^k e^{-u} du[/tex]

Which can be integrated by parts (or by looking up the gamma function if your bounds are again infinite).

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

What is the purpose of efficient integration in sticky integral?

The purpose of efficient integration in sticky integral is to accurately calculate the area under the curve of a sticky integral function. This is important in various scientific and mathematical fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the key components of efficient integration?

The key components of efficient integration are A, a, and λ. A represents the upper limit of integration, a represents the lower limit of integration, and λ represents the lambda constant that is used to calculate the area under the curve.

How do A, a, and λ affect the integration process?

A, a, and λ all play a role in determining the bounds and accuracy of the integration process. A and a determine the limits of integration, while λ helps to adjust the integration method to accurately calculate the area under the curve.

What are some common challenges in integrating sticky integrals?

Some common challenges in integrating sticky integrals include determining the appropriate values for A, a, and λ, as well as dealing with complex or oscillating functions that may require specialized integration techniques.

How can I efficiently integrate sticky integrals?

To efficiently integrate sticky integrals, it is important to carefully choose the values for A, a, and λ, and to use integration techniques that are appropriate for the specific function being integrated. It may also be helpful to use computer software or calculators for more complex integrals.