Question on speed(of light that is)

• Thread starter Enkiadu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, it is possible to travel at 0.95c relative to your ship which is also traveling at 0.95c, but outside observers will not see you as traveling at 1.9c. This is due to the different ways distance, simultaneity, and time scales are measured by different observers. Regarding the twin paradox, someone in a ship traveling close to the speed of light can reach distant objects while experiencing relatively short amounts of time, while people back on Earth will see this trip as taking much longer. This is because time dilation occurs at high speeds.
Enkiadu
if I am traveling in a craft at 95% the speed of light relative to everything outside this ship, is it possible to travel in the same direction as the ship is moving at 95% the speed of light relative to things inside the ship? making me travel faster than the speed of light relative to things outside the ship? I know there is more to it that that like time slowing down so I would appreciate it if someone could explain exactly what is going on here.

also if this is possible, what would happen if, while both objects were at full motion at 95% the speed of light, I reached the edge of the spaceship and burst out of it's confines?

I think I remember reading something saying that while it would seem to me like I was traveling so fast inside the ship, to an observer outside I would just be traveling slightly faster than the ship? is this due to the time slowing down at speeds near light? if so does anyone know why time slows down at these speeds?

these questions have made me think of another question hope I am not overloading anyone. let's think about the twin paradox. I am traveling away from my twin at 99% the speed of light. the nearest star is 4 light years away, but if I travel away from my twin at these speeds for only minutes, then years may have passed for him. does this mean that if we could achieve speeds close to light then we could travel to these stars or other galaxies in only minutes to days relative to those inside the craft, but it would be millions or billions of years before we reached these stars relative to everyone outside the ship?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, welcome! :smile:

Yes, it is possible to travel at 0.95c relative to your ship which is traveling at 0.95c, however you are correct that outside observers will not see you as going 1.9c, instead you'll be doing more like 0.999c. This has to do with the fact that distance, simultenaity, and time scales are all measured differently by the outside observers, the observers in the ship, and you. A full conceptual explination is rather complicated unfortunately, I would refer you to the existing literature and documented thought experiments for this.

As for your second question re: the twin paradox (which really isn't a paradox by the way, that's a bad name for these things), the answer is yes, someone who is in a ship which is traveling close to c will be able to reach objects which are far away while experiencing comparitively small ammounts of time. People back on Earth would see this trip as taking a much longer time, exactly how long depends on the speed of the ship and the distance traveled.

Think about this: If you were in a ship which accelerated at one Earth gravity it would take you roughly 20 years to reach the center of our galaxy (that's assuming you decelerate for the second half of the trip so that you're actually stopped when you get there). To the people who stayed back on Earth tens of thousands of years would have passed.

dicerandom said:
Yes, it is possible to travel at 0.95c relative to your ship which is traveling at 0.95c, however you are correct that outside observers will not see you as going 1.9c, instead you'll be doing more like 0.999c.

More precisely, using the equation for relativistic "addition of velocities,"

[tex]\frac{0.95c + 0.95c}{1 + (0.95c)(0.95c)/c^2} = 0.9987c[/tex]

Hey, you were pretty close after all. :bugeye:

jtbell said:
More precisely, using the equation for relativistic "addition of velocities,"

[tex]\frac{0.95c + 0.95c}{1 + (0.95c)(0.95c)/c^2} = 0.9987c[/tex]

Hey, you were pretty close after all. :bugeye:

In fact, to the three places he gave, .999c was spot on.:smile:

Lucky guess :rofl:

selfAdjoint said:
In fact, to the three places he gave, .999c was spot on.

wow! an Englishman in Wisconsin.:smile:

(maybe it's me, but "spot on" sounds like an expression from the UK or Ireland.)

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant that is equal to approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

How was the speed of light determined?

The speed of light was first determined by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century using observations of the moons of Jupiter. It was later measured more accurately by French physicist Hippolyte Fizeau and then by American physicist Albert Michelson and chemist Edward Morley using different methods.

Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, the speed of light in a vacuum is considered to be a constant and is denoted by the symbol c. This means that it does not vary with the observer's frame of reference. However, it can be slowed down in certain mediums such as water or glass.

Why is the speed of light important?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It is used to determine the distances of objects in the universe, as well as in the development of technologies such as fiber optics and wireless communication.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would require infinite energy to reach the speed of light. This is known as the cosmic speed limit.