HELPCAN anyone explain the difference between an AC and DC motor?

In summary, DC motors are still used for small applications because they have high startup torque and the ability to work on AC. Brushes can wear out, so there are some drawbacks.
yujay
i was wondering y there still got some dc motors,coz ac motors more powerful...can anyone tell me y?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's are two links from the same web site:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/motorac.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/motdc.html#c1

Those examples are a bit simplified and don't include brushless motors as shown on this web site:

http://www.oddparts.com/acsi/motortut.htm

They've also solved the low rpm issue with AC motors, since they are now optionally used in diesel electric locomotives.

http://www.railway-technical.com/diesel.html

I fly radio control models, mostly gliders, but have friends that fly electic powered aircraft. All of these use DC motors as far as I know. The cheap motors use brushes, and use pulse width modulation to control voltage which controls motor speed. The better motors are brushless, the coils are on the outside which is better for heat dissapation. The brushless motors need special speed controllers that sense and control the commutation of the motors. The stronger motors spin too fast for the large props they drive so they use gears to drive a prop. One new type of brushless motor has the outer coil as the moving part, and these are usually higher torque lower rpm motors, and don't require gearing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascinating train site, Jeff. I've added it to my 'favourites'.
Yujay, remember also that on a smaller scale, inverter technology to convert DC battery current to AC is an unnecessary complication and expense. You wouldn't want it for something like a cordless drill.

AC motors can be built with more power since they have access to very large sources of power. 480V and 100A of current is already 100 times more power than what would completely drain a car battery in 1/2 hour.

AC motors do have some drawbacks though for small applications. So for a small hand drill with a cord that plugs into the wall, it has what's called a universal motor. Its actually a DC motor design that also happens to work on AC. It has the advantages of a DC motor with its high startup torque and maybe reversible direction, but also the disadvantage of brushes that wear out, and so on.

As Danger said, since a battery powered device only has DC to work with, it makes sense to have a motor that works with that source. It wouldn't make much sense to have to add circuitry and expense to convert to AC.

1. What is the main difference between an AC and DC motor?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) motors lies in the way their electrical energy is supplied. AC motors use an alternating current, which periodically changes direction, while DC motors use a direct current that flows in one direction.

2. How do AC and DC motors differ in terms of construction?

AC and DC motors also differ in their construction. AC motors typically have a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) that are both electromagnets. DC motors, on the other hand, have a stator that is a permanent magnet and a rotor that is an electromagnet.

3. Which type of motor is more commonly used in household appliances?

AC motors are more commonly used in household appliances because they are simpler and cheaper to produce. Additionally, most homes are already wired for AC power, which makes it easier to supply energy to AC motors.

4. What are the advantages of using an AC motor?

One advantage of AC motors is their ability to change speed easily by adjusting the frequency of the alternating current. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to DC motors.

5. When would a DC motor be preferred over an AC motor?

DC motors are preferred in applications where precise control over speed and torque is needed, such as in robotics and industrial machinery. They are also more efficient at converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, making them suitable for battery-powered devices.