Russian Proverb: "Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela

• Thread starter jhe1984
  • Start date
In summary, this person believes that fame comes from making art that has real meaning and significance.
jhe1984
I just found the Russian version of one of my favorites:

"Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela."

It's a Russian proverb meaning,

"To the success of our hopeless task."

(Sorry if I wounded the spelling or the history.)

Physics news on Phys.org
jhe1984 said:

I must put that up in our workshop, oh for a week without water damaged
electrics.

This thread - "this is like déjà vu all over again". (Yogi Berra) :rofl:

I highly respect Confucius' Quotes:

-It is only the wisest and the stupidest that cannot change.

-It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.

-Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.

-Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

"strike while the iron is hot" -- japanese proverb

"if the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see everything as a nail" -- russian proverb

jhe1984 said:

So what you're really saying is:

"За успеха нашево безнадёжнова дела" :redface:

Well, here are some quotes I like:

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." -Charles Darwin, Descent of Man

You start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck. --Anonymous(?)

"Here is Washington, we are looking at another round of teacher strikes because they want us to pay them more. And the literature they give us explaining their views contains so many errors in grammar and spelling that it really makes you wonder why we pay them at all." -- From an email of some reader of Thomas Sowell

A natura hominis discenda est natura juris.
---Cicero

"Nothing is changed by spending more if the context and incentives within which the schools operate is not changed." --1994 Brunner Report

"If you know a little about everything you may end up not knowing enough about anything." -from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=860001#post860001 (yes, from PF)

"Having opinions without knowledge is not of much value; not knowing the difference between them is a positive indicator of ignorance." --Professor Diane Ravitch

"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built." Abraham Lincoln (March 21, 1864)

Last edited:
jhe1984 said:

Haha I love that!

i don't know that all these are proverbs; they seem more like inspirational quotations. anyway here are a couple more that i like:

"time & i against any other two" -- baltasar gracian

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -- marcus aurelius

fourier jr said:
"if the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see everything as a nail" -- russian proverb

There is an elderly friend of the family who has endured a couple of decades of serious health problems. He states with absolute conviction that doctors diagnose according to their specialty. If you see a surgeon, he will likely recommend surgery. If you see a Neurologist, expect a diagnosis of a neurological disorder, etc.

fourier jr said:
i don't know that all these are proverbs; they seem more like inspirational quotations.

replying to myself :rolleyes:
maybe those /\ are at least "of proverbial nature"

maxim:
1 : a general truth, fundamental principle, or rule of conduct
2 : a saying of proverbial nature

proverb:
1 : a brief popular epigram or maxim

epigram:
2 : a terse, sage, or witty and often paradoxical saying

www.m-w.com

''The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a bi-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a sh!t''

1. What does the Russian proverb "Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela" mean?

The translation of this proverb is "For the success of our hopeless task." It is often used to express determination and persistence in the face of difficult challenges.

2. What is the origin of the Russian proverb "Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela"?

This proverb is believed to have originated from a longer saying by Russian author and playwright, Anton Chekhov, which goes "Za uspiekh nashevo trudnovo, nezhelatelnavo diela." It has since been shortened and popularized as a standalone proverb.

3. How is the Russian proverb "Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela" used in everyday life?

This proverb is often used to encourage others to persevere and not give up, even when the task at hand seems impossible. It can also be used as a reminder to oneself to stay determined and focused on achieving success.

4. Are there any other similar proverbs in Russian or other languages?

Yes, there are similar proverbs in other languages such as "Where there's a will, there's a way" in English, "Querer es poder" in Spanish, and "Wo ein Wille ist, ist auch ein Weg" in German. These all convey the message of determination and perseverance in the face of challenges.

5. How can the message of this proverb be applied in scientific research?

In scientific research, this proverb can serve as a reminder to not give up on a project or experiment, even when faced with setbacks or difficulties. It can also inspire scientists to continue pushing the boundaries and pursuing seemingly impossible ideas or theories in pursuit of success.