Path-ordered product in parallel transport

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of converting an integral of a general non-commuting matrix function into a path-ordered integral, and then into a path-ordered exponential solution for a first-order matrix differential equation. The question focuses on the role of the $1/n!$ factor in the conversion and how to construct the formal path-ordered exponential solution. The conversation also includes a tip for displaying LaTeX on the forum and a question about counting nondecreasing sequences.
SmithWillSuffice
I'm reading about bundes and connections but I cannot get past a little problem involving path-ordered exponentials. I hope someone can help me out. I'll try to state the problem as well as possible with plain text LaTeX. My question is just this: How does the the integral (of a general non-commuting matrix function A, such as a connection) like this,

\int_{t\ge t_1\ge \ldots \ge t_n \ge 0} A(t_1)\ldotsA(t_n) dt_n\ldots dt_1

become,

\frac{1}{n!} \int{t_i\in [0,1]} \mathcal{P}A(t_1)\ldotsA(t_n) dt_n\ldots dt_1

where \mathcalP} is the path-ordered product operator, and how does this path-ordered integral become,

\frac{1}{n!} \mathcal{P} \left( \int_0^t A(s) ds \right)

?
Background: the first integral arises when one constructs for example an iterated solution to a simple first-order matrix DE, du/dt = -A(t)u(t), whereby A(t1) need not commute with A(t2).

I can see how the latter conversion can be made if the multiple integral $\int{t_i\in [0,1]}...$ can be taken as a product of $n$ decoupled integrals. But I do not quite see how the $1/n!$ arises in the first conversion from the coupled multiple integral to the decoupled path-ordered multiple integral. I've tried integration by parts, Taylor expansion, and a few other tricks, including staring at the integrals for a long time! I'm missing a basic clue though.

I think I can take the final result and differentiate to prove that it solves the matrix DE that arises in the parallel transport equation for a vector say $u$ on a bundle fibre,

d u(t) / dt + A(t) u(t) = 0

where $A$ is the connection for the covariant derivative along a path. The solution is obviously,

u(t) = \mathcal{P} \exp^{-\int_0^t A(s) ds} u(0)

It's just bugging the heck out of me that I cannot figure out how to construct the formal path-ordered exponential solution without resorting to "guess the answer and back-substitute".

muchos gracias in advance for any hints/help.

---
NotAStudentButAPerpetualSeeker

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put the tags:

[ tex ] [ /tex ]

around your LaTeX, the forum software will produce the corresponding LaTeX images. (Omit the spaces, of course) If you want to inline them in a paragraph, use [ itex ] and [ /itex ] instead.

There is an obvious map from the set of all n-long sequences onto the set of all nondecreasing n-long sequenes, right? How many times is each such nondecreasing n-long sequence counted?

1. What is a path-ordered product in parallel transport?

A path-ordered product in parallel transport is a mathematical tool used to calculate the change in a vector as it is transported along a curved path in a curved space. It takes into account the curvature of the space and the direction of the path to accurately account for the change in the vector.

2. How is the path-ordered product calculated?

The path-ordered product is calculated by breaking the path into small segments and calculating the change in the vector at each segment. These changes are then multiplied together, with the order of multiplication determined by the direction of the path, to give the final change in the vector.

3. What is the significance of the path-ordered product in parallel transport?

The path-ordered product is significant because it allows for the accurate calculation of the change in a vector as it is transported along a curved path in a curved space. Without it, the vector would not be accurately represented and important physical phenomena could be missed.

4. Can the path-ordered product be used in other contexts besides parallel transport?

Yes, the path-ordered product can also be used in quantum field theory and gauge theory, where it is used to calculate the evolution of quantum states and gauge fields. It is a useful tool in many areas of physics where curved spaces and paths are present.

5. Are there any limitations to using the path-ordered product in parallel transport?

One limitation of the path-ordered product is that it only works for paths that are continuously differentiable. If the path has discontinuities or sharp corners, the path-ordered product may not accurately represent the change in the vector. Additionally, it can become computationally expensive for complex paths and spaces, making it less practical for certain applications.